Things that p*ss you off on Ebay...!!!

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
I need a cathartic release and figure others could as well. But in no particular order here's a few things that are currently eliciting this reaction: :mad: - from me on Ebay.

Sellers that do not lodge feedback until the buyer lodges positive feedback on them
One of my real bugbears - now I get all the rationales for this but generally this only made sense back in the bad old days on Ebay where if the one person lodged negative feedback the other would automatically do the same so it was a lose-lose/mutually assured destruction deterrent. But now that sellers can't NEG buyers it's pointless to hold off lodging. And as the buyer really all you have to do to complete the side of the buy is pay....thats it.

So jerk sellers who don't lodge feedback either have to be asked to lodge it or you get by without it. Small peanuts I know as ain't a big deal on most feedback levels but it's just annoying and petty unprofessionalism.

Sellers who take unbelievably long times to post the items once they're paid for
Again this shytes me to tears - if you're taking my money then pull your finger out and send them item I paid for to me within atleast 3 working days! I just realised that some Aussie seller (literally 3hrs drive from me!) I bought a few razors from states up to 16 working days to send the items - I could ride a unicycle to his house to pick them up sooner!). Now to be fair perhaps I should have not bid if that was an issue BUT by the same token whilst I don't expect same day postage I do expect a vague effort to be made to get the item posted once it's been paid for.

Items posted without proper packaging/protection
I had the misfortune to deal with a real twat Aussie seller recently. The Gillette New OC I bought was packaged with the endcap/baseplate with a piece of sticky tape holding them together and that was dumped loosely into an unpadded, standard satchel with the handle....ALL LOOSELY rolling around whilst it was on route to me.

Now thankfully none of the teeth etc were damaged but there would certainly have been scratching/surface damage on route.....but not something major enough I could ID it from the auction photos.

So when I raised it with the jerk of a seller he said "it arrived 'undamaged' and so thats all there is to it."

This REALLY pissed me off for as I stated he was a collector of razors as well and if he'd received one posted like that he'd have found it unacceptable and yet he did it to me....and all for what? A piece of scrap bubble wrap or even wrapped in newspaper would have stopped any scratches in transit but when I flagged this with him he conceded NOTHING and implied I was just being petty as the end justified the means. Oh and he refused to lodge feedback as well so an absolute a$$hol3 of a seller (IMHO).

Haha anything else getting on others goats? :D

Go on @Nick the Knife - tell us how you REALLY feel and it will make things a whole lot better!

I think you have covered most annoyances post sale although I did have a seller once who LOST the item for a week after it finished. 'Sorry' he said 'it is around here somewhere but I can't find it at the moment, will keep looking'

Of course pre-sale those dodgy pics are just another thing altogether (let along descriptions of 'mint' condition when it arrives scratched to blazes...)

Ahh NtK I hope your feeling better. Some things I hate on Ebay too. Like when items I want to buy are more than I want to pay. It creates disharmony in my brain and is bad for my overall health I'm sure. If Ebay really cared about me they'd only allow bargains to be listed. Until I want to sell something of course, that's different.

Two postage prices - you view the auction in your favourites and the price is different from what is displayed in the auction page.
Pitney Bowes (GSP - global shipping program) pay for priority and get slower than first class and a tracking number that no one else can track, let alone separation of the transaction into two to seperate the GSP coponent and cover their arses.
eBays indifference to resolving problems.
Ive mentuoned the postage iasue to them upon multiple occasions and they've done nothing to resolve this.

I've never been into ebay, but given it's not a real auction site anymore, and even private sellers are fixing their sell prices, there's even less reason for me to use it. It's been taken over by online retailers.

Plus, too many people selling fake gear, from fake locations.

Point one and two who cares - as long a you don't need the feedback as a seller...and at the end of the day either you can buy it in a store and get it straight away, or you wait. And then I really don't care if it is a couple of days or weeks, it's part of living in OZ :D

Point 3: now that really annoys me - especially when it comes to records!!!

I sell items on ebay from time to time, heres a few bad lucks that happened over the years.

1. Sent a Slim 1967 to Germany, buyer never contacted me, opened a case for a dispute and claimed he never received the parcel. Refunded him, of course, but had a hard time to believe that an extra carefully packed item with the correct address printed in New Time Roman Size 20 cannot reach it's destination and never comeback to it's sender.

2. Sent a NOS dispenser of Gillette SS to the USA. The buyer never contacted me, left a bad comment ''Not as pictured, Bad item condition, not isable'' (yes, isable) but yet never asked for a refund or sent pictures of the item. Just for the records, I take pride in doing honest descriptions, doing clear pictures with my dSLR (another hobby of mine). I shaved with the remaining 40 NOS Gillette Super Stainless and never sold a blade pack again.

I sell items on ebay from time to time, heres a few bad lucks that happened over the years.

1. Sent a Slim 1967 to Germany, buyer never contacted me, opened a case for a dispute and claimed he never received the parcel. Refunded him, of course, but had a hard time to believe that an extra carefully packed item with the correct address printed in New Time Roman Size 20 cannot reach it's destination and never comeback to it's sender.

2. Sent a NOS dispenser of Gillette SS to the USA. The buyer never contacted me, left a bad comment ''Not as pictured, Bad item condition, not isable'' (yes, isable) but yet never asked for a refund or sent pictures of the item. Just for the records, I take pride in doing honest descriptions, doing clear pictures with my dSLR (another hobby of mine). I shaved with the remaining 40 NOS Gillette Super Stainless and never sold a blade pack again.
Mate, upon the flipside, I've had items shown as delivered, yet never arrive.
I've had well packaged items arrive damaged and as a buyer I've had the buyer win a dispute despite irrefutable evidence supplied.
Maybe it's just us Commonwealth colonies cop a raw deal due to still associating with the motherland still ?

Mate, upon the flipside, I've had items shown as delivered, yet never arrive.
I've had well packaged items arrive damaged and as a buyer I've had the buyer win a dispute despite irrefutable evidence supplied.
Maybe it's just us Commonwealth colonies cop a raw deal due to still associating with the motherland still ?

Now I pay a little extra for the tracking & signature upon delivery, never received complaints since. Also I take pictures of the item during the packaging and a picture of the parcel when it's at the post office. A bit too much ? Better be overkill than sorry.

I've had buyers on reputable shaving forums complain about the condition of razors I've sold on rare occasions. I think we do tend to expect more than the description suggests and read everything favourably - then get disappointed.

Mind you as a buyer on a shaving forum I pointed out areas in the pics that were gold in colour on a silver plated item. Not brassing said the seller. It arrived and the plating was worn to brass which was highly polished - brassing.

People are funny things ...

My biggest b#8tch with eBay is their dispute process. Can't get to talk with a live person and whoever or whatever reads email messages is stupid and fixated. Paypal is no better.
Bought a new BRay player from a seller in Sydney and it was DOA.
Sent it back at my expense by registered mail for warranty repair or replacement and the seller while acknowledging receipt didn't do anything as the claim deadline just ticked on.
Made a claim to eBay/PayPal and they declined it because I hadn't sent it with a tracking number even though I had all the registered mail documents and emails from the seller that the returned item had been received.
The way I resolved this was reporting this to my credit card provider. Had a new BRay player pronto.

I've had buyers on reputable shaving forums complain about the condition of razors I've sold on rare occasions. I think we do tend to expect more than the description suggests and read everything favourably - then get disappointed.

Mind you as a buyer on a shaving forum I pointed out areas in the pics that were gold in colour on a silver plated item. Not brassing said the seller. It arrived and the plating was worn to brass which was highly polished - brassing.

People are funny things ...

That is why I tend to do my descriptions on the ''unfavorable'' side, pointing the flaws such as brassing, scuffing, flea bites and watermarks. Most of the time, the buyers are pleasantly surprised because it's in better condition than they expected.

That is why I tend to do my descriptions on the ''unfavorable'' side, pointing the flaws such as brassing, scuffing, flea bites and watermarks. Most of the time, the buyers are pleasantly surprised because it's in better condition than they expected.

I thought I took the same approach - but with some people ...

I need a cathartic release and figure others could as well. But in no particular order here's a few things that are currently eliciting this reaction: :mad: - from me on Ebay.

Sellers that do not lodge feedback until the buyer lodges positive feedback on them
One of my real bugbears - now I get all the rationales for this but generally this only made sense back in the bad old days on Ebay where if the one person lodged negative feedback the other would automatically do the same so it was a lose-lose/mutually assured destruction deterrent. But now that sellers can't NEG buyers it's pointless to hold off lodging. And as the buyer really all you have to do to complete the side of the buy is pay....thats it.

So jerk sellers who don't lodge feedback either have to be asked to lodge it or you get by without it. Small peanuts I know as ain't a big deal on most feedback levels but it's just annoying and petty unprofessionalism.

I received a letter in my blades yesterday requesting me to leave positive feedback then they would do the same.
Umm his description for them was wrong and I paid within 10 minutes of the auction finishing. So he should have no reason but to leave positive feedback straight away

Sellers that believe Photoshop is a legitimate "selling aid/repair tool".

It's dishonest to camouflage the flaws with Photoshop however it is OK IMHO to adjust the white balance/shadow or change the aperture (Nothing that can't be done by simply adjusting the settings on your lens). A picture with good light can be tricky when you are indoor, especially if you don't have a light-box or a good flash.

Last edited:
It's dishonest to camouflage the flaws with Photoshop however it is OK IMHO to adjust the white balance/shadow or change the aperture (Nothing that can't be done by simply adjusting the settings on your lens). A picture with good light can be tricky when you are indoor, especially if you don't have a light-box or a good flash.
As someone who understands his way around a camera and some software I agree with you for the most part @Maxime D. I adhere to this philosophy and always end up having to shoot my item again once I notice how much dust is on an item. I don't agree with one point though, and not meaning to be a pedant mate but, there remains three things you can only adjust on the camera and not manipulate in post-processing (even in our digital age) - ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Just thought I'd reassure folks out there who enjoy playing with light that you are not missing something with your hardware or software.

Last edited:
As someone who understands his way around a camera and some software I agree with you for the most part @Maxime D. I adhere to this philosophy and always end up having to shoot my item again once I notice how much dust is on an item. I don't agree with one point though, and not meaning to be a pedant mate but, there remains three things you cannot adjust in post-processing - ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Just thought I'd reassure folks out there who enjoy playing with light that you are not missing something with your hardware or software.

My bad, I meant 'Exposure' that you can set with Adobe Lightroom.

Sellers like this -

To: melliebelly1
Subject: Postage: ourbirdau sent a message about ANTIQUE VINTAGE GILLETTE RAZOR MADE IN ENGLAND #201394923707
Sent Date: 26-Jul-15 20:37:07 AEST

Dear melliebelly1,

So just making sure I'm understanding this correctly you indicate - 'WOULD CONSIDER POST cost is postage plus $5 packing'.

So given this will be <500g you are talking $8.25 postage plus $5 packing = $13.25 for postage and handling?

Cheers

Mark

--------

To: ourbirdau
Subject: Re: Postage: ourbirdau sent a message about ANTIQUE VINTAGE GILLETTE RAZOR MADE IN ENGLAND #201394923707
Sent Date: 26-Jul-15 20:39:07 AEST

Dear ourbirdau,

Hi yes cheers andy

- melliebelly1

--------

To: melliebelly1
Subject: Re: Postage: ourbirdau sent a message about ANTIQUE VINTAGE GILLETTE RAZOR MADE IN ENGLAND #201394923707
Sent Date: 26-Jul-15 20:50:42 AEST

Dear melliebelly1,

OK, The handling charge is a bit rich but I suppose I just subtract it off my max bid.

- ourbirdau

--------

Dear ourbirdau,

What 5 bucks dont worry about bidding tight ass

- melliebelly1

Sorry mate but yes, $5 on top of the postage for this is a rip off in my book....