Time to say hey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alien13

Hey,

So I figured now is as good a time as any to stop by and introduce myself after reading all the great threads here at P&C.

To start off, I'm pretty much new to the wet shaving hobby, with only 4-5 shaves under my belt. I jumped straight in not long after tax time with the following purchases:

Ralf Aust 5/8 Spanish Point (Direct from Ralf Aust)
Frank Shaving Extra Wide Strop (SH)
Mitchell's Wool Fat (SH)
Vulfix 660 Medium Pure Badger (SH)

I spent quite a bit of time reading and reading and researching before clicking the final "Buy" button, but I couldn't be happier with my purchase...well, a brush upgrade is on the table for the future, but for now it works and does what it needs to, I find myself enjoying it the more I use it, but it sheds like no tomorrow :/

So that's the gear, as for me, I'm a 24 year old guy from Port Pirie, SA who enjoys hiking, camping, software engineering, technology in general and now, shaving!

Hope to be able to contribute to the forums a bit from now on!
Cheers,
Nathan

Welcome @alien13 - another from SA :) We have a regular get together every second Sunday at Becco on the corner of The Parade and Osmond Tce. Meeting tomorrow actually (y) If you want any further details let me know.

Steve

Welcome mat

Gee whiz - a lot of straight razor users around here now - I'm thinking of claiming minority status and special privileges ...

Nice start with the kit you have ;)

Welcome Nathan. Let your stay be a good one. Stating off your wet shaving journey with a Straight is very impressive.

Welcome @alien13 - since you've done plenty of reading here you know what to expect. I'm impressed with your commitment - from zero to straight razor in one go. You'll find a few other straight shavers here, and hopefully plenty of encouragement and advice :)

Anyway, a very warm welcome and all the best - looking forward to you sharing your journey with us.

To start off, I'm pretty much new to the wet shaving hobby, with only 4-5 shaves under my belt. I jumped straight in not long after tax time with the following purchases:

Ralf Aust 5/8 Spanish Point (Direct from Ralf Aust)
Frank Shaving Extra Wide Strop (SH)
Mitchell's Wool Fat (SH)
Vulfix 660 Medium Pure Badger (SH)

I spent quite a bit of time reading and reading and researching before clicking the final "Buy" button, but I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Well @alien13, good to see another who went from plastic to straights (I took the easier path of a round point Dovo). Took me a while to become proficient in their use, but worth it. This forum has knowledgeable and friendly advise on all topics wet shaving related (that includes coffee, mountain bikes, cameras, BBQ'ing, men's clothing, ... ... ... well everything related to being a man really). Remember that the only dumb question you have is the one you don't ask.

Welcome Nathan - great to have you here and deepest respect going for a straight straight away!

As @bald as already mentioned - we do have our regular meet-up every 2 weeks, you missed today, but maybe you want to join in a fortnight...

Welcome @alien13 - another from SA :) We have a regular get together every second Sunday at Becco on the corner of The Parade and Osmond Tce. Meeting tomorrow actually (y) If you want any further details let me know.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

Hopefully once we are done with all these renos I'll be allowed out of the house on the weekend ;) will make a weekend out of it and catch up with mates too! (Possibly fit in an SA vapers meet if the times line up)

Welcome mat

Gee whiz - a lot of straight razor users around here now - I'm thinking of claiming minority status and special privileges ...

Nice start with the kit you have ;)

Haha, thanks Mark! I was thinking of getting the wife onto a DE to save some money on the disposables. Plus she can bulk buy the razors for use with her hair cutting hobby. Win, win!

Good to have you on board Nathan.

Cheers khun_diddy! Glad to be here.

Thanks Dale!

Welcome Nathan. Let your stay be a good one. Stating off your wet shaving journey with a Straight is very impressive.

Thanks for the welcome Lifes a Peach! Yeah, I took quite a while making my choice, but thought if I'm going to do it, I want to try make it a once off (Hah, yeah right) and something I can use and eventually pass on to my son. Plus I've always like the idea of using a straight razor, and the routine/ritual that comes with wet shaving.

Welcome @alien13 - since you've done plenty of reading here you know what to expect. I'm impressed with your commitment - from zero to straight razor in one go. You'll find a few other straight shavers here, and hopefully plenty of encouragement and advice :)

Anyway, a very warm welcome and all the best - looking forward to you sharing your journey with us.

Thanks Draco Noir!

Yeah, I tend to go about things a little back to front sometimes, but the learning experience is half the fun!

I'm hoping to tap into the knowledge of the other straight users here and learn a few new things. Perhaps even share something myself.

Cheers rm71!

Well @alien13, good to see another who went from plastic to straights (I took the easier path of a round point Dovo). Took me a while to become proficient in their use, but worth it. This forum has knowledgeable and friendly advise on all topics wet shaving related (that includes coffee, mountain bikes, cameras, BBQ'ing, men's clothing, ... ... ... well everything related to being a man really). Remember that the only dumb question you have is the one you don't ask.

Hey Dale, thanks for the welcome!

I kept reading that round point razors were a bit more user friendly, but the look of the Spanish point kind of got the better of me. I will say it comes in handy sometimes, but can also be the most common cause of a nick if I'm not concentrating on the harder areas. Slowly getting better each shave though.

It sounds like it may be my new one stop forum for all things manly. Just started using my dad's old Moka pot again for coffee's, looking for some nice "artisan" beans to use though. I've heard good things about some local beans from Hahndorf.

Now to find the craft beer thread :D

Welcome Nathan - great to have you here and deepest respect going for a straight straight away!

As @bald as already mentioned - we do have our regular meet-up every 2 weeks, you missed today, but maybe you want to join in a fortnight...

Thanks alfredus, great to be here.

It's been a bit of a learning experience, but I wouldn't change it if I could. It makes shaving something to look forward to.

Hopefully I'll get some free time from work and renos to be able to make the trip. Maybe make it a bit of a mini vacation :)

Greetings @alien13 hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful :)
Have you tried a SE or DE before ?

@alien13 as you can see, some hold insecurity of those that use different traditional implements, probably due to a lack of self control and/or SWMBO :)

Hey there @alien13 (kinda freaky there's already 12 other aliens out there...)- nice to have you sign up and make yourself known!

Lovely blade! A great choice for a str8. I'm sure you'll pick up a few more in time. The vintage blades look beautiful and have so much character. @Mark often has quality blades for great prices from time to time. They come razor sharp as he's a top Honemeister as well. [emoji106]

How long have you had your brush? You should contact the seller and let them know it's shedding like no tomorrow. Ask for a replacement brush (or your money back if you're not happy with it). A brush shouldn't shed hairs constantly.

Greetings @alien13 hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful :)
Have you tried a SE or DE before ?

Hey borked!

Thanks. And as for the SE/DE, nah, I havent had the chance yet. I'm considering getting a DE for the wife..saving costs and whatnot ;)

Not sure if I'd go for one of the cheaper Parker DE or not, but plenty of time to read up on here beforehand.

Hey @alien13 don't listen to this enabler. Next thing you'll have is your house double-mortgaged to cover the cost of your DE collection & 100,000 vintage blades. We have at least one strong member -1 razor only (one soap only too I seem to recall).

Haha, yeah, I don't think I could get away with that. As it is, there's only so many times I can get away with saying "I won it in a competition" or, "It's a free sample someone sent me". I think for now I can easily get by with the one razor. A 7 day set is tempting though :p

I do want to try out a few different soaps and maybe some aftershave.

@alien13 as you can see, some hold insecurity of those that use different traditional implements, probably due to a lack of self control and/or SWMBO :)

I think I'd fall more into the SWMBO category haha.

Hey there @alien13 (kinda freaky there's already 12 other aliens out there...)- nice to have you sign up and make yourself known!

Lovely blade! A great choice for a str8. I'm sure you'll pick up a few more in time. The vintage blades look beautiful and have so much character. @Mark often has quality blades for great prices from time to time. They come razor sharp as he's a top Honemeister as well. [emoji106]

How long have you had your brush? You should contact the seller and let them know it's shedding like no tomorrow. Ask for a replacement brush (or your money back if you're not happy with it). A brush shouldn't shed hairs constantly.

Hey filobiblic. Hah, yeah I couldn't think of any other username so I went with the old faithful, which I've been using since I was 13 :D Man time flys, doesn't seem like 11 years ago!

I like that Adelaide razor that was on eBay, but I think I'd be pushing my luck trying to get another this soon in the hobby. I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for any vintage that get posted up as I am interested in trying different sizes, points, etc.

The brush is about 1 month old now. It usually leaves a bunch of hairs on the puck, its getting a bit less, but still a lot more than I'd expect. I may get in contact with them and see if we can come to a compromise.

Thanks for the advice!

If you attend and become know at the SA meetings, I'm positive one of those nice fella's down that way would happily loan you a SE/DE and hook you up with a few blades :)

Status
Not open for further replies.