Truefitt and Hill Badger

JugV2

Simply boring.
I have a T&H Badger which I obtained from @Drubbing many moons ago.

It has gone quite floppy so I have decided to hand it over to our resident re-knotter to see if he can breathe some life back into it.

The brush handle is fantastic and the bloom on this is amazing but it has developed what I can only call a hole in the middle of the knot.

@Pjotr may be kind enough to show us some pictures of the brush in question...it looks very similar to this one: http://www.truefittandhill.co.uk/wellington-shaving-brush-medium/

I really should have taken pics of it.

I am pretty sure T&H Wellington's are actually Rooney-produced which would explain the floppiness of them. Every Rooney I have ever heard about, the owner always mentions the floppiness.

Vulfix (aka Simpson's owners) apparently produce the rest (Regency, Carlton & Turnback), so you could probably send those ones back to be re-stuffed with a decent knot. You might even be able to get them to re-stuff the Roon-a-flop with Superbadger.

I have a T&H Badger which I obtained from @Drubbing many moons ago.

It has gone quite floppy so I have decided to hand it over to our resident re-knotter to see if he can breathe some life back into it.

The brush handle is fantastic and the bloom on this is amazing but it has developed what I can only call a hole in the middle of the knot.

@Pjotr may be kind enough to show us some pictures of the brush in question...it looks very similar to this one: http://www.truefittandhill.co.uk/wellington-shaving-brush-medium/

I really should have taken pics of it.

Unfortunately I've already cut the knot off. Basically the entire centre of the knot was gone. Never seen anything like it except on brushes that are ancient and falling to pieces. It's a stunning handle. I'll post some pics of the restore. As far as big badgers (24mm is about the max in my view) going floppy I don't think you can really avoid it other than packing a shit ton of bristle in the knot and then you get the lather hog affect that @Drubbing was having with his Chubby and it's like shoving your face in an entire pillow of lather. Badger bristle, except for maybe pure because that seems to have a bit bigger diameter hair, is just not suited to go over 50/55mm in loft (in my view). If you're only using it to make a bowl full of lather and to smear it on your face I guess it doesn't matter too much but for a face latherer a good performing brush is essential. Never measured the loft of the Boeckh's which @JugV2 has now got.

Getting this one to work and look good is going to be a challenge.

Wow. I actually found that too floppy for my liking a couple of months after purchase. It is indeed a Rooney rebadge. To hear it was cored out is pretty sad, they ain't cheap.

Get A Simmo's classic 2. They're really, really good. And not finicky like a Chubby can be. As PJs says, it's going to be hard to find a 24mm knot that won't flop out, unless he has room in the handle to drop it down below 50mm tall, 45 would help, but it will still be pretty soft. The one PJ did for me in around that, but not as wide, and it's still less backbone than the Classic.

If you want grunt, you need to stuff them. The Classics get the balance right between that, and not overdoing it.

Yeah it's a lovely brush and great performer but it just turned into a mop, which is obvious given your explanation there and from what PJ said about it.

I'm leaving it in his capable hands to produce a stunner for me, I'm sure he will do well. looking at a 24mm from goldennib.

TGN make good knots, but they don't overstuff them. If I were you I'd go straight to the Finest. I tried the other grades they were a bit cheaper, but the finest was easily the best, super soft. PJ dropped one in to about 45mm and it's held up well. Any longer and it would be too gutless for me.