Upgrade Razors

lastkey

I’ve used a few vintage from Aristocrat to Techs. From EJ DE89 to Feather AS-D. Right now settled on Rockwell 6S plate 6 and EJ DE89. Rest sold. I’ve evaluated Blackbird (love the looks) but most agree its aggressive so what options/razor I can consider. What razors are considered upgrade razors but priced below $300 mark or thereabouts. I see Timeless, Wolf, Karve.

I’ve evaluated Blackbird (love the looks) but most agree its aggressive
Wrong… grasshopper unless you choose the Lite base plate instead of the Standard base in the Blackbird, you haven’t experience the Blackbird Lite not just the Blackbird Standard two different experience from each base plate.

Wrong… grasshopper unless you choose the Lite base plate instead of the Standard base in the Blackbird, you haven’t experience the Blackbird Lite not just the Blackbird Standard two different experience from each base plate.
Are you getting kickbacks from Shane? This guy said the lite is less aggressive but it dropped efficiency more. Blackbird has sale going on though 🤔

Th
Are you getting kickbacks from Shane? This guy said the lite is less aggressive but it dropped efficiency more. Blackbird has sale going on though 🤔
This guy from Latherhog is FULL of 💩 stop believing all this monkey BULL 💩 from YouTube, you NEED to drive the bloody Blackbird razor in your own hand, because, haven’t experienced or driven the Blackbird from your own bare hands. Stop watching Latherlog is FULL of bull 💩 Chinese 'King Monkey'.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the Timeless .95, it's efficient but without you having to worry about it tearing your face off.

Rex Ambassador would get my vote...slightly over your price point, but with the discount code only just 😉

Th

This guy from Latherhog is FULL of 💩 stop believing all this monkey BULL 💩 from YouTube, you NEED to drive the bloody Blackbird razor in your own hand, because, haven’t experienced or driven the Blackbird from your own bare hands. Stop watching Latherlog is FULL of bull 💩 Chinese 'King Monkey'.

I have to agree with this.

The blackbird turned out nothing like I had imagined based on several dozen video and written reviews.

Once I used it, that was the point where I actually knew what the blackbird feels like and how it performs.

(I loved it so much, I bought the brass version too. Can't bring myself to use any other razor!)

P.s. If DE89 provides a good shave, I'd steer you towards the lite as the standard will definitely be overkill in efficiency and you may find it too much.

Th

Do you have lite too?

Rex Ambassador would get my vote...slightly over your price point, but with the discount code only just 😉
I purchased one. Sent back next day. The damn thing was jammed. Couldn’t even turn the adjustment knob. Didn’t even wanted the replacement after spending that much and such bad QC.

Do you have lite too?
I’ve owned both original standard and lite Blackbird in my den, and I’m leaning towards the lite base plate 99% during my shaved. If I have five to six days growth of stubble, I change the Blackbird to the original standard base plate, I mainly shaved two to three days growth of stubble using the Blackbird lite base plate.

Th

Mate you need to relax, it's a hobby and everyone has their own opinions, there's no point in getting worked up about it 😂

As for upgrade razors, I'll take that as premium razors, because I've used the blackbird (hated it), Alpha Claymore Evo (hated it), Homelike Colibri (hated it), Karve (wasn't impressed) and others that were eh, then I have used some that I really enjoyed, like the Homelike Start (still have it), Blackland Era (not really a premium offering but still artisan made), Razorock Game Changer (love it), Carbon CX (love it), 6S (great razor, but didn't use it much)

Any razor can be good, $ value doesn't mean it will be the best shave of your life as I found out the the Homelike Colibri. I wanted to love it, visually stunning razor with a plate system and just couldn't get along with it.

Mate you need to relax, it's a hobby and everyone has their own opinions, there's no point in getting worked up about it 😂

drSoaPP.gif

I purchased one. Sent back next day. The damn thing was jammed. Couldn’t even turn the adjustment knob. Didn’t even wanted the replacement after spending that much and such bad QC.
Really sorry to hear that - the one I have is really a great razor 😪

As for upgrade razors, I'll take that as premium razors, because I've used the blackbird (hated it), Alpha Claymore Evo (hated it), Homelike Colibri (hated it), Karve (wasn't impressed) and others that were eh, then I have used some that I really enjoyed, like the Homelike Start (still have it), Blackland Era (not really a premium offering but still artisan made), Razorock Game Changer (love it), Carbon CX (love it), 6S (great razor, but didn't use it much)

Any razor can be good, $ value doesn't mean it will be the best shave of your life as I found out the the Homelike Colibri. I wanted to love it, visually stunning razor with a plate system and just couldn't get along with it.

Yep, no matter how much @SpeedyPC bullies me to get Bird Lite. I am not going to do it. So how's Blackland Era.

Last edited:
@SpeedyPC If R41 is 10/10 on aggressive scale. Where do you put Blackbird, Blackbird Lite?
To be very honest it right on the Merkur 34C, but, the level of aggression is different from each other during the shave, and I find that the Lite preformed better than the 34C.

The Blackbird Lite blade geometry and the efficiency is outstanding against the 34C. YMMV but believe me you won’t regret this razor and if you don’t like it, you can always sell it.