What Currently is Your Preferred Razor Type?

Current preferred razor type (one type only, you can change your selection)

• Electric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cartridge/Disposable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Safety - single edge

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Safety - double edge

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Straight razor - replaceable blade

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Straight razor - traditional

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
I can now understand why @SpeedyPC needs to promote "safety" razors to those who are less active and/or don't have the ability to learn something new.
That's a bit harsh, maybe those who don't have the ability to learn something new, just aren't interested in straight razors. Just because you like them, it doesn't mean everbody else has to.

The reason this forum is so interesting is that every member has their own likes and dislikes and pushing your liking of straights on them or insulting them whether you mean to or not, isn't going to change minds.

That's a bit harsh, maybe those who don't have the ability to learn something new, just aren't interested in straight razors. Just because you like them, it doesn't mean everbody else has to.

The reason this forum is so interesting is that every member has their own likes and dislikes and pushing your liking of straights on them or insulting them whether you mean to or not, isn't going to change minds.
Well said @Nanook . I've got to say that the tone of this forum has taken a turn in the last couple weeks and I'm suddenly feeling like I'm a second-class citizen because I choose to use a safety razor. Everyone's freedom to choose whatever tool they wanted to was what endeared this forum to me when I was getting into this caper, but I'm now at the point where I think twice about logging on and checking out what's been said, because I'm expecting to feel patronised and insulted, just because I choose to focus on things in life other than mastering the "gentlemanly art" of using a straight razor...

giphy.gif

My Henson Ti22 is a great tool and so is my Tech. I have nothing against them and if they were all I had I would be happy. It is just that after I discovered the straight razor wasn't scary and all of the horror stories I'd heard were just that, stories (well, except for one well know man) I found out out lovely shaving with one is. It doesn't make me feel more macho (women use them too). I like the concentration, the calculation, and the meditativeness of shaving with one. It relaxes me, makes my mind clear, and I just feel better.

Filarmonica14 for me, no doubt. Could never understand why a mouldy looking piece of metal with what seems like cheap plastic scales command such high prices, until I bought my first one.

Most convenient travel razor is a Feather AC SS, you get the sense of danger, and cool factor, without the stropping and the maintenance. Shave, rinse, shake of the water and pop it in a bag, no worries. I can get at least 10 shaves from a blade, usually good for two weeks of daily shaves.

I don't look down on DE shavers, I have even taken my Fatib Piccolo for a spin this weekend, with a brand new Feather DE blade. I must say that the shaves I get from it are getting better. I like the fact that the Piccolo is so small that I am able to get into the corners under my nose.

Currently (it changes) my top choice is the Alpha Claymore AC. Followed by an AC shavette and an English flat bottom tech.
I would prefer to use a traditional SR however my edges are not quite up to standard at present.

I like the concentration, the calculation, and the meditativeness of shaving with one. It relaxes me, makes my mind clear, and I just feel better.
And that's why I enjoy them.

I spent over 20 years on ships, shaving became a chore. It was something quickly preformed before I went to my bunk of a night. Now that life is behind me, taking my time and concentrating on what I'm doing is a pleasure. Now I just have to endure the ribbing from my wife because I take longer in the bathroom than her :ROFLMAO:

I ticked DE, but like a few others, it changes. Currently flip-flopping between my DsCosmetics Legend SE and my Blackland Era. I've had a few straights and while I never managed to cut myself with one, I never enjoyed the shave, partly because of a birthmark on my neck, but probably owing to having very unsteady hands.

Straight razors predominately for me with some of my favourites being the ones of Japanese origin that I have in my collection. I find the maintenance aspect a particularly peaceful and interesting pastime. Even after all these years I confess that my edges are not always where I want them to be but for me that is part of the appeal. Joining this Forum has also encouraged me to revisit my collection of DE razors that had gone unused for some time. The use of a DE razor in the shave ritual can be as gratifying, to me, as the use of a traditional straight razor and it's good to mix things up sometimes reconnecting with the characteristics and techniques such fine implements require. On the subject of DE razors I have recently acquired a particularly fine example from a Swiss manufacturer and........................ I'm blown away on how good it is.

Whatever your shaving implement of choice, be well and enjoy the ritual.

Whichever one I pickup to use at the time, from my Valet and Gillette razors to straights and kamisori. This sounds to me like the whisky debates I hear on Peat non peat etc. You do you. By all means share your knowledge and joy but let everyone find their own path.

On that note Im off to drink a rare unobtanium whisky prepared in secret and distilled by a secret sisterhood of supermodels then aged for 30 years in a now extinct type of wood with level 3 char.

Well said @Nanook . I've got to say that the tone of this forum has taken a turn in the last couple weeks and I'm suddenly feeling like I'm a second-class citizen because I choose to use a safety razor. Everyone's freedom to choose whatever tool they wanted to was what endeared this forum to me when I was getting into this caper, but I'm now at the point where I think twice about logging on and checking out what's been said, because I'm expecting to feel patronised and insulted, just because I choose to focus on things in life other than mastering the "gentlemanly art" of using a straight razor...
This goes for anyone but feel free to ramble on about your latest razor or even if you are consider to buy a certain one and don't feel bad about it at all. We all have different preferences and I think some people just enjoy rubbing it in other peoples faces in a friendly sort of way. (hahaha, that's a bit of a funny thought)
I don't think any malice is behind it at all.

I enjoying buying and using DE razors for a variety of reasons do expect that I will some day buy a straight razor two when I can invest into everything that comes with straight razors including the skill set to sharpen, hone, re-profile edges, replace scales etc because I feel that learning all that comes with straights is a fine skill set within itself and pretty much required. You don't want to have to send away your razor to get shave ready every single time you need to so its cool that there are people here that still exist that can help with all of that. Straight razor shaving is of a lost art that I admire a lot and learning to sharpen a straight razor will also be skills you can transfer elsewhere and help you to maintain several work tools too.

I honestly find DE/SE razors endlessly enjoyable and am impressed by designs and aesthetics not to mention the evolution and small tweaks that are made by manufacturers and then spending the time to learn what blade works as well as other variables such as angles, pressure and techniques. I enjoy trying and using different blades too.

The more contributors we have in all methods of shaving the better because that would mean more people are wet shaving in a traditional way which is never a bad thing if you enjoy it and there is no reason to spend the earth either if you can't afford but in the flip side if you can afford it without causing yourself any grief and enjoy it then all the more power to you.
I always enjoy people sharing their shaving experiences or knowledge.