What Did You Learn From Your Straight Razor Shave Today?

Still haven't tried my 1870 George Butler "Shakespeare" yet. That is booked in for next Sunday.

You book in the use of your razors? What if one is fully booked?

I have over 30 straight razors and I try to include them all in my rotation, shaving every day. Like a father, I try to love all my straight razors equally. That's not easy when some behave better than others.

Touche!

Hmmm, there has to be a more apposite variation on this theme:

Speak roughly to your little boy,
And beat him when he sneezes.
He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases.

This morning I tried a "thicker" Arko face lather, closer to what I would use with a DE razor. I did this to see if it would work with my now more refined SR technique. It didn't work for me. My edge just would not glide over the skin.

For my second (XTG) pass it was back to my normal thinner wetter lather. Lesson learnt.

This morning I tried a "thicker" Arko face lather, closer to what I would use with a DE razor.
It's only that fraction of a millimetre of lather that's actually in contact with your skin that's doing the work. It doesn't matter whether you shave with a DE, a straight or a sharpened rock, the slicker your lather the better, and that usually means a bit more water.

It's only that fraction of a millimetre of lather that's actually in contact with your skin that's doing the work. It doesn't matter whether you shave with a DE, a straight or a sharpened rock, the slicker your lather the better, and that usually means a bit more water.
I disagree with you here. SR shaving requires a different lather from that which is optimal for DE shaving. I and may others who shave both SR and DE can attest to that. Slickness is important to both but DE shaving normally requires some "cushion" that SR shavers do not require. This "cushion" comes from a less hydrated lather that is a little thicker.

When I started SR shaving, I quickly found that my optimal lather was much wetter and thinner than what I required for optimal DE shaving. As my SR shaving skills improved, I found that my optimal lather for SR shaving would become slightly less hydrated to about half of what was best for me DE shaving.

Of course, your previous experience shaving with your homemade SR may have been different.

Last edited:
I disagree with you here. SR shaving requires a different lather from that which is optimal for DE shaving. I and may others who shave both SR and DE can attest to that. Slickness is important to both but DE shaving normally requires some "cushion" that SR shavers do not require. This "cushion" comes from a less hydrated lather that is a little thicker.
...and I'll disagree with you. :D I've never had much need for "cushion" from any soap, with any razor. It's probably why I got away with lathering up with Pears hand soap for decades. Zero cushion there... :whistle:

...and I'll disagree with you. :D I've never had much need for "cushion" from any soap, with any razor. It's probably why I got away with lathering up with Pears hand soap for decades. Zero cushion there... :whistle:
I’ll take one for the team and agree with you. The best DE lather is one that is dripping wet. Globs of lather literally scrambling to get as close to my nipples as they can!

Same deal when doing final touch up passes. Wet hand and using the wettest lather that drips down the brush handle. Lather is thin but slick.

Maybe cushion is for masking improper technique.

Maybe cushion is for masking improper technique.
I think that's probably true. It certainly does get in the way of a really close shave, IMO. This might be why I've been enjoying hard milled soaps so much lately, as they contain no clay to provide cushion or get in the way of the blade. (At least in the case of C&S/Valobra and D.R. Harris.) Or so goes a pet hypothesis of mine. I've no way to prove/disprove it.

Last edited:
Cushion :unsure: I just like the clouds of lather that roll up on the razor Str8 or DE with each stroke. Also reminds me when to rinse before lather starts running down the razor handle.
I've always considered cushion is for the part of the DE razor you are riding (safety bar, combs or cap) before you achieve the perfect angle (dial it in).
Cushion is a bit superfluous for the blade edge DE or Str8 and it's all about the slickness and glide. Then again wet shaving is a ceremony and I love me a bushy Santa Clause beard full of lather dripping off my razor
I'll even go as far as to squeeze lather out of the brush and scoop from the bowl to hand pat on cheeks for a really thick cushion of lather. :rolleyes:

Str8 or DE my lather is the same as slick and cushioned as I can get it although too much lather can be a hindrance for DE where it does not effect str8 because you just scrape it off

No harm intended, just stating a fact. @Gargravarr has stated that his SR shaving experience was a while ago when he was shaving with a straight razor that he made himself from a piece of scrap steel that he had lying around. That is possibly why he seen little difference between all the different shaving methods.
Bullshit. I said I made it from a piece of Damascus I had lying around. That's not the same thing as just any old piece of scrap. I no longer recall exactly which steels went into the forge, but they were all premium quality new tool steels, none of that chainsaw rubbish. And I also never said there was anything wrong with the finished razor, I just stopped using it when I started shaving my head. I might have described it as home-made, but only in the sense that it was made by a professional blacksmith for himself, and not for sale.

Nothing actually new, but I keep marvelling at how well smaller razors can perform. You see people on forums gravitating towards humongous blades, 9/8 and upwards, and I agree, many times that extra weight really feels nice and it helps, the razor needs less guidance. But with proper technique, if the arazor is well honed, it doesn't matter if it's a 4/8, it'll be a hell of a shave. I have a tiny Eskilstuna with a wicked edge (not mine, not there yet), and it'll go toe to toe with any 8/8 out there.

Nothing actually new, but I keep marvelling at how well smaller razors can perform. You see people on forums gravitating towards humongous blades, 9/8 and upwards, and I agree, many times that extra weight really feels nice and it helps, the razor needs less guidance. But with proper technique, if the arazor is well honed, it doesn't matter if it's a 4/8, it'll be a hell of a shave. I have a tiny Eskilstuna with a wicked edge (not mine, not there yet), and it'll go toe to toe with any 8/8 out there.
I agree. The main difficulty I previously had with smaller blades was getting the correct shave angle. As my technique improved, that became a non-problem.