What lather would you rather, and why?

No, that's Don's Barber shop. You can get a decent, no bullshit hair cut there and Don sells a pack of five Feathers for $3.00. I don't think he does a traditional shave there. I've never seen him do it anyway. He also has the occasional little $10 Omega brush, some Barber's Special shaving cream and a tub or two of Proraso pre and post shave cream (I think). The other one is called Aquila's (or something like that) and is in Karinyup shopping centre. Sells a few brushes complete with sexy looking stands, a few DEs (can't recall which make), loads of Proraso gear and a few other bits and pieces. All way too expensive. Bought a pack of five Astra blades just because I haven't tried them yet. They cost me almost $4.00.

I've got most of my original sampler packs left if you want to try some different blades mate.

I work on Selby St in Osborne Park.

Thanks for that JugV2. I too have most of the sampler pack left. Aside from Feather none of them really stick out for me.

Mr Shaver in Perth City has TOBS. But be warned. Others have said they've 'never warmed to the service in there'. Which speaks volumes you'd have to prepare yourself for such effort. Plus they'll charge twice what somewhere like Mensbiz will. Mr S is good for scratch n sniff only IMO. They do have a lot of stuff, I'll give them that.

Spieck, only online I'm afraid, and again at Mensbiz, but threats and intimidation may see me slip a bit into a sample pot for you. It's herbally and makes great lather. I find it takes a fair bit of water to get it really slick.
The Aftershave is tops too.

Sorry. Had to throw the sucker punch in there...

Nope I thought about it and am resolutely going to use up all my supplies before buying new. Unless I stumble upon something of course. I mean let's face it how often do you go outside to walk the dog and stumble over a tub of Taylors or a stick of Speick. Of course if I happen to stumble in to Melbourne or Sydney and accidently stumble in to a decent Barber/Shaving supply shop that doesn't count.

My first TOBS purchase was a stumble over it in a Melbourne shop window & I paid $35 for a tub...didn't realise back then can get 2 for that price!

Yes I could Drubbing! Although I've to date never laid eyes on you I now envisage you as the purveyor of herbs, the inventor of the Camberwell carrot, the evil looking dude from Withnal and I, one of my all time favourite films. If haven't seen it you must.

He's clearly extremely hairy. I mean, all of this shaving. he must be hairy, right?

Well I don't know. This whole shaving thing could be a big ruse. Drubbing could be a slightly hairy she for all I know. The evil purveyor from Withnal and I was very hairy and had never seen a razor in his life.

I used the Almond TOBS sampler this morning.

I said before that I thought it smelled like Dr Pepper, and I stand by that. I am not at all a fan of it and will not use it again.

Lather wise, it was great as are most TOBS I have used to date. I did need to work in a bit more water than usual which I think is from the level of heat we have had recently in Perth and has had an adverse effect on my creams. The top of the cream in the pot was slightly crunchy.

I still have a few samplers left...finished hte Lavender this week and good riddance. If it's gonna be purple in the pot, it ought to be purple on my face. (That is my only gripe with it; the scent is ok and the results are great).

Where oh where is my Jermyn tub??

........I said before that I thought it smelled like Dr Pepper, and I stand by that. .........The top of the cream in the pot was slightly crunchy........finished hte Lavender this week and good riddance.......If it's gonna be purple in the pot, it ought to be purple on my face..........

Well that's the end of any TOBS desires I might have had. Give me Faulding any day!

I just bought my first Taylor Of Old Bond Street from Himage - $10 for a Sandalwood Bowl they say has a damaged label - I figure for 10 bucks delivered if don't like it not too big a deal

Well that's the end of any TOBS desires I might have had. Give me Faulding any day!

Well I wouldn't dismiss all TOBS because of a couple that someone else found to be not great. It's about personal preference. The majority of the range is great. I'm just picky I guess.

nvm didn't notice that this was under a SC sub section (thought it was a mixed SS/SC forum). I've never tried a cream.

Last edited:
I sampled TOBS avocado and love the scent and lathers nice and easy. I will order a regular tub in the near future. Currently I use AOS sandlewood sc. That is the best. Makes tons of rich lather every time & I have hard water. Next is Caswell Massey almond sc. Lathers easily and lots of it. What I didn't care for is Razorock sc (almond). This is more of a soft soap then cream and takes more effort to produce lather. Its cheap so you get what you pay for. Also is a royal pain to open the container. It not the screw type just has a compression lid.

I've found the RazoRock lid to be difficult to open with wet hands.

The trick is to squeeze the tub as you praise the lid off with your nails. It took me a few tries to work that out.

The soap itself is up there with the best, I was very surprised by the low price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done all the TOBS. Performance wise, the best is Shaving Shop. Smell wise it's Jermyn St. YMMV as always

I've also tried all the TOBS and for me, Jermyn St, and St James are the winners.
All the others i was very 'meh' about.

Have been using GFT Coconut Oil lately and it makes a great lather from little product and smells great too. A very soft cream though, so does get used up rather quickly.

Have some Acca Kappa 1869 and RazoRock coming, hopefully this week.

Have also tried some QCS 'croaps' and while I love a lot of the scents, the performance, for me, was sub-par; often a very wet, thin lather. Very finicky about product/water ratio. The menthol sensation from the Vostok is incredible, however.

You'll love the RazoRock, and if you don't, let me know and I will take it off your hands no probs.

Jermyn is the one for me too. I don't mind the Eton but if I could only have one for the rest of time it would be Jermyn.