Where do you hold your razor?

Normie

Initially, I held my DE89 very close to the head. The last couple of shaves however, I have held the razor at the tip of the handle. I have found that I use less pressure holding the end of the handle. Had anyone else found much difference with where they hold the razor?

I like to hold the razor near the end of the handle and as gently as possible. That kind of stops you from being able to add much, if any, pressure on the down strokes.
Obviously have to hold it a bit firmer for across or the upstrokes but generally with as little pressure as possible

Great question @Normie !
I vary in how I hold my DEs - a shorter handle requires a different grip cf. a longer handle. Often with the short handles I have my pinkie finger over the end and spread my fingers across the entire length of the handle. For the longer handled razors I often do as you and Eggy describe - holding it gently nearer the end of the handle.

With SEs and straights I have different holds once again...

It is a great question @Normie !

I would describe where I hold a (DE) razor as being the balance point. It will vary by razor but at that point where it feels evenly balanced - usually around the half way mark on the handle but it does vary.

I usually hold mine in the bathroom.....

....joking aside, the butt of the handle rests on the first joint of my little finger (closest to fingernail) and the other fingers just where they feel comfortable. Upstroke I remove all except thumb and forefinger, invert then regrip with the butt of the handle in the cup of my hand.

That's true. It also varies with the location of where you are shaving. The neck requires a different hold.

That's true. It also varies with the location of where you are shaving. The neck requires a different hold.

Quite correct, I just had to run back to the bathroom to check.... I didn't check the neck hold first time 'round, only the mutton chops!

It is a great question @Normie !

I would describe where I hold a (DE) razor as being the balance point. It will vary by razor but at that point where it feels evenly balanced - usually around the half way mark on the handle but it does vary.

@Mark1966 is correct and he's no grasshopper :p;) as I'm the same what he said (y)

Fantastic questions @Normie !

The closer to the head you hold it, the more accurate you tune in to the correct angle - but it is harder to control the pressure. The closer to the end of the handle you hold it, the easier it is to control pressure, but the harder it is to control the correct angle....