alfredus

Auctioneer-in-Chief + organises many group buys
Staff member
Site Moderator
State Convenor - SA
Grand Society
Group Buy Caporegime
Charity Auction Team
Will be home next weekend after 10 weeks, and while I am going to miss many aspects of traveling, I am looking forward to my gear!

So I have been using only one razor (RazoRock Stealth Slant V1) and one brush (Vie-Long 12705B horse). I had 2 Stirling samples with me and some Weleda cream as well as a small blade sampler (which actually grew).

So please help me decide on my first shave and give me some good reasons - though I might not listen anyway :)

Razor: Weber PH, ATT R1 Kronos, RazoRock DLC slant

Brush: WD silvertip 24/48, WD high mountain 24/48, Omega 49, Plison Synth (never used before)

Soap: Mikes, Stirling, Otoko, Haslinger Schafmilch, The Beach

My votes:

Razor: Weber PH - only one I know

Brush: Plison Synth (never used before) - so you can talk about it like all the cool kids

Soap: Mikes - because it is the standard to judge others by

The Plisson Synth is amazeballs - possibly my product of 2015 and it is only the first week of February. Definitely use it.

The size of the bubbles in the lather is so small that it is like applying whipped cream to your face. Start a bit drier on the soap and add water as you go. Also, feels very soft to the touch but has real grunt in the knot.

I am going to attack my puck of MWF with it tomorrow morning (y)

As for the rest - choose whatever you have missed the most.

You don't have an Above the Tie set? I thought you would have everything...
Too new for him to contemplate :p

Weber for a change from the slant
WD High Mountain, live luxuriously
Mikes, a damned nice change yet equal level in quality from Stirling

+1 for @Mark1966 's recommendations.

@Monsta_AU , I tell you what you're a quiet starter but I'm dead chuffed with how happy you've been with the Plisson! And to think I kinda felt a bit silly trying to get you onto one as I assumed you'd have been, seen and bought a t-shirt for it all!

All that said, I concur 101% with all of your comments on it. It really brings the absolute best out of any soaps, with even entry level ones putting out never-seen-before micro-bubble lather with very little loading and very little lathering. I don't know about you but I find it VERY hard to reach past it for another brush. It's an absolute rotation buster!

It really brings the absolute best out of any soaps, with even entry level ones putting out never-seen-before micro-bubble lather with very little loading and very little lathering.
Sounds like someone's ready for the terrible twosome of C&E and Col Conk ;)

+2 for @Mark1966's suggestions: PH Weber, Plisson and Mike's.
Go on, you deserve to treat your face... [emoji6]

Give this man a pot of coloured beans to count and somewhere to do some happy clapping and his life is complete. :)

Now don't get me started about the joys of counting beans WHILE happy clapping - PTL !!!!!!! :)

Keep 'em coming guys! Makes me anticipate my gear even more!

Just out of curiosity: why is everyone recommending the Weber and not the ATT? Is it just because you don't know it or???

Also: why no love for the Silvertip and the boar?

As for the Plisson: I think I would need a tutorial first - heard it behaves very different.

You wont need any Plisson lessons, @alfredus . That's brush lathers itself.

Tell me something - any curiosity going for the ATT S1 or S2? You must be thinking about it.

LaP nailed it.

Dip in water, lightly shake out, load (prolly in 1/2-2/3 the time you generally need to load), distribute on face and go to work. Being a synth you can't get it to hold that much water in the brush at first (though it does hold more than you'd think!), which isn't a bad thing as the easiest way to stuff up a lather is too much water at the start, so prolly like most others when face lathering I press it into my chin to make a lil dish/bowl in the brush and drip a lil water in there to incorporate into the ongoing lather building.

You should have a lather faster than usual - and that has the traits of being very low in visible bubbles, a thick-yogurty type one rather than a boofy-peak meringue lather. And even though the knot seems kinda modest it will hold a good deal of lather as well, so don't forget that goodness locked up inside it for your last pass. Heck of a brush and has a very natural/high end badger feel to the backbone of it's fibres - my cheap and nasty 'pur-tech' clone has a older synth SPRING to them which isn't as enjoyable to use.

You wont need any Plisson lessons, @alfredus . That's brush lathers itself.

Tell me something - any curiosity going for the ATT S1 or S2? You must be thinking about it.
Thought about it when it was announced, but after reading the reviews, probably not. The S1 seems to be too mild and I never had any luck with OC's so...still would love to try the H1 plate one day and of course the BBS-1...
LaP nailed it.

Dip in water, lightly shake out, load (prolly in 1/2-2/3 the time you generally need to load), distribute on face and go to work. Being a synth you can't get it to hold that much water in the brush at first (though it does hold more than you'd think!), which isn't a bad thing as the easiest way to stuff up a lather is too much water at the start, so prolly like most others when face lathering I press it into my chin to make a lil dish/bowl in the brush and drip a lil water in there to incorporate into the ongoing lather building.

You should have a lather faster than usual - and that has the traits of being very low in visible bubbles, a thick-yogurty type one rather than a boofy-peak meringue lather. And even though the knot seems kinda modest it will hold a good deal of lather as well, so don't forget that goodness locked up inside it for your last pass. Heck of a brush and has a very natural/high end badger feel to the backbone of it's fibres - my cheap and nasty 'pur-tech' clone has a older synth SPRING to them which isn't as enjoyable to use.
Thanks for that!