Review Whispers From The Woods - Orange, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Bergamont and Lemon Shaving Soap

nsavage

nerroneous at best.
First of all special thanks to @SydBJW for providing a sample of the soap for me to try.

Whispers from the woods is an Australian Artisan soap maker from the Central Tablelands of NSW. The maker offers an extremely large variety of shaving soap scents in both 12 gram sample sizes and 80 gram full size options. The price of the soap is $5.00 for a sample size and $20.00 for the full 80 gram size.

The soap is vegan based and contains the following ingredients, Stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, coconut water, coconut oil, shea butter, coco butter, avocado oil, glycerin, castor oil, bentonite clay, essential oils.

The scent on the soap was magnificent. For me the orange, mandarin and lemon were the dominant scents which made for a very fresh and refreshing citrus scent. An outstanding way to start the day and this would be a great summer scent for me.

The soap itself is reasonably soft in consistency but not sticky like some soft soaps are. The soap was extremely easy to load. I did not bloom the soap at all before hand and started with a damp (but not overly wet) RazoRock Plissoft. I was easily able to get a nice solid load in to the brush by adding a couple of drops of water here and there throughout the loading process.

Moving on to a face lather and I found that the soap lathered quite quickly and only required a moderate amount of water to do so. I found the lather to be extremely good quality and contained all of the properties that for me make an excellent lather. There was an abundant amount of cushion and slickness from the lather and it felt very protective throughout the shave. The slickness itself was good enough that I had no hesitation in completing a couple of small clean-ups at the end of the shave without reapplying any lather (this is definitely something that I value highly in any soap).

Overall I found this soap to be an excellent choice. The only let down in my opinion is the price as I personally feel that it is a little high based upon the ingredients list and the size of the product. That being said I would still consider purchasing one or two tubs to keep in my rotation.

I guess price depends upon how long the product lasts for.
If it's an efficient soap, it's ok value.

I guess price depends upon how long the product lasts for.
If it's an efficient soap, it's ok value.

Well, @nsavage does say it's a softer soap meaning it's not going to take long to finish.

I think the price is too high. Soap isn't that difficult to make (it's perfecting it that takes time and skill) and adding a lot of exotic oils doesn't lead to a huge difference at the end (other than the cost).

Just compare a well known international veggie soap:
MdC is A$50-60 for 250g delivered.
This is A$20 for 80g not-delivered.

BUT MdC lasts a looooooong time so it's actually even "cheaper" still...

Thanks for the great review @nsavage (y)

I'd also say that for 20AU$ you should get at least ~125g of soft(ish) soap...