Why don't you shave with a straight razor?

Why don't you shave with fire on a stick? Because you don't want to, we all do what appeals to us. I like the look and feel of old single and double edge razors, and I am happy to use the convenience of disposable blades. And some actually need the "safety" aspect of safety razors.

Time is the main reason - straight shaving needs a bit more prep and adds another 10 minutes to the routine.
That's why its reserved for weekends and practicing for retirement.

Equipment is mine.
Don't have the stones strip or to being skills currently, yet would like to own the equipment when finances allow it and learn the skills required to maintain the stones strip and razors.

Equipment is mine.
Don't have the stones strip or to being skills currently, yet would like to own the equipment when finances allow it and learn the skills required to maintain the stones strip and razors.
Yes, straight razor shaving is not cheap. A complete SR setup can cost you $100 to $200 (assuming that you already have brush and soap).
  • New mid-range SR = <$30
  • New mid-range leather strop = $15
  • Lapping film setup = <$50
  • Diamond pasted balsa strop setup = <$70
If you don't want to be bothered with honing, you can replace the lapping film setup with one professional honing and just maintain your SR for the rest of your life by only using a diamond pasted balsa strop setup.

The chespest option is a new $5 stainless steel shavette (assuming that you have DE blades. That is all you need. The learning curve with a shavette may be a little longer than with a traditional straight razor. Shavette shaving is similar to straight razor shaving, but different.

Then there is the learning curve. It takes about a week of daily SR shaving to develop a good basic technique. After a month you should be shaving with no irritation or skin damage and will be wishing that you had started SR shaving in your teens.

SR shaving can take more time per shave than most other types of shaving. For a full face shave it could take up another 10 minutes of your precious time each shave. For some, spending 10 minutes more each day on self indulgence is a total waste of time.

Me, I would rather wake up 10 minutes earlier for the enjoyment and self indulgence that straight razor shaving gives me. Each to their own.

Last edited:
Me, I would rather wake up 10 minutes earlier for the enjoyment and self indulgence that straight razor shaving gives me. Each to their own.
I already sacrifice exercise time for the self indulgence of wet shaving and am not there yet with straights. Weekends are good enough for me :) (y)
The last thing I need in the morning is to make SWMBO late every day due to self indulgence.
"Happy Wife Happy Life" there is another end to that stick and I know which end I want to be on.

I already sacrifice exercise time for the self indulgence of wet shaving and am not there yet with straights. Weekends are good enough for me :)(y)
The last thing I need in the morning is to make SWMBO late every day due to self indulgence.
"Happy Wife Happy Life" there is another end to that stick and I know which end I want to be on.
You don't need a bloody straight razor or a shavette, throw'em in the bin, safety razors, or single edge GEM razors are very simple straight forward stress-free shaves.
Stop wasting your bull :muted: t time honing, stropping, and snapping the DE blades in half. just load'em up and shave..... Easy Peasy, otherwise, you'll never escape from the Doghouse.

@SpeedyPC there are some men who just don't understand why others would want to or even think about wanting to shave with a straight razor. You are probably one of them.

Most SR shavers do not try and belittle non-SR shavers. We may often point out the benefits that we get from SR shaving but respect the decisions of others who, for whatever reason, prefer not to SR shave.

This thread is about finding out why (the reason(s)) non-SR shavers do not prefer shaving with a straight razor. Some reasons could be:
  • Not enough time (SR shaving can take a few more minutes each day).
  • To much perceived maintenance.
  • Cannot afford the equipment (about $5 or more).
  • Scared of hurting their incredibly handsome face.
  • Do not want to learn a new skill as it takes about 5 to 10 daily SR shaves to get the basics right).
  • Having a physical disability.
There are probably many other reasons, hence the thread.

Last edited:
images

...but I'm all for roasting your own coffee beans :)
Me too, it's by far the best start to getting a top-notch coffee, and much, much cheaper. Only drawback is, I can no longer drink as much coffee as I used to. Anno domini catching up with me... :rolleyes:

Me too, it's by far the best start to getting a top-notch coffee, and much, much cheaper. Only drawback is, I can no longer drink as much coffee as I used to. Anno domini catching up with me... :rolleyes:
Green beans about $11- $14 a kg, coffee pod users pay about $100 a Kg for the privilege of drinking stale coffee.

Green beans about $11- $14 a kg, coffee pod users pay about $100 a Kg for the privilege of drinking stale coffee.
Yep, even factoring in the fact that you lose 18% of the weight when you roast it, it still works out pretty well. Though some of the stuff I've been using lately (from Yemen) cost me $32/kg, but worth every cent...