Why I wanted a L 1 Aristocrat... (or an excuse for MORE pics!)

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I'm not sure if any of you have noticed or not but my signature for a while indicated 'WTT or WTB - NOS 1966 L1 Aristocrat'. This has been updated as it is no longer relevant but let me tell you a story regarding why I was after this razor.

You can probably guess from my user name that I was born in 1966, March in fact so I'm a L1. A little after I started with DE and became converted I was reading a thread here about teaching our kids to shave properly given that many of us were NOT taught by our fathers. I have a son also born in March but a little more recently - 2001 to be exact. I vowed to myself that I would make sure that I taught him properly.

I'm also a little into creating family history and traditions. On the day my son was born my father (his grandfather) and I went out an purchased an expensive but very high quality hammer. Every bloke needs a hammer I reckon and when my son turns 21 and get the memory box we created for him included within will be a hammer that his father and grandfather brought him on the day he was born.

So obviously with DE shaving becoming a hobby and my prediliction for creating history I was always going to get him a special razor for his 18th (becoming an adult) birthday (yes, we tend to do both here in OZ, 18th and 21st birthdays are celebrated as special events). The obvious choice of course for a special DE shaving gift.....

That is right - a L1 Gillette Aristocrat (with a Simpson Berkeley thrown in as well).

Both are cased with their cardboard in pretty nice condition....

While the blades are not sealed they are L1 dated and come with the instructions (I don't expect the blades to actually be used)

As you can see this baby glistens!

Whether this becomes his daily shaver (he will of course be already taught how to shave properly before his 18th!) or something that he stores away this will (like the hammer) be forever HIS Gillette.

Hope you liked the pics!

The fact that I've organised this 8 years BEFORE his 18th also probably exposes my OCD nature even more! :embarrest:

Nice brush.

200+ razors AND a hammer? He's either going to be inherently predisposed to shaving and DIY, or the best equipped serial killer in the ACT.

A hammer?
Why so tame? Doesn't the story go on about grandpa's axe replaced indefinitely?

Congrats on the razor though. Mines cheaper being a 1970s SA, (not the plastic one though!) :p

In my case I'm going to spend less on the razor and maybe spend more on a decent quality socket set rather than a hammer!

Nice brush.

200+ razors AND a hammer? He's either going to be inherently predisposed to shaving and DIY, or the best equipped serial killer in the ACT.

LOL! Good thing I'm not into straights huh!

A hammer?
Why so tame? Doesn't the story go on about grandpa's axe replaced indefinitely?

Congrats on the razor though. Mines cheaper being a 1970s SA, (not the plastic one though!) :p

In my case I'm going to spend less on the razor and maybe spend more on a decent quality socket set rather than a hammer!

Not quite sure why the hammer, probably more an old fashioned craftsman tool than a socket set, and something everybody needs. When his son arrives I'll get him one too :)

So where is the 1966 dated brick of Cella? If you are going to do a job - go all the way.

Hmmm, vintage soap, not sure if you can date code it to a year. You can date code expensive watches though I've discovered,,,,,

Very nice thing to do Mark. I still have stuff that was given to me on special occasions.

As I have grown up sons may I suggest postponing until he's 30? This being the age they can actually almost find their own backside with both hands.

2001? Wasn't that the year Gillette brought out the first Mach 3? You should include one of those as his own birth year razor.

Very nice thing to do Mark. I still have stuff that was given to me on special occasions.

As I have grown up sons may I suggest postponing until he's 30? This being the age they can actually almost find their own backside with both hands.

2001? Wasn't that the year Gillette brought out the first Mach 3? You should include one of those as his own birth year razor.

The wise voice of experience!

I'm expecting to 'give' these things to him on his 18th and 21st but probably storing them for him thereafter for a while..... Mind you, I don't mind if this becomes his 'user' - it depends a bit on where he is at shaving wise by then too.

Hmmm, a Mach 3 - maybe I will throw one in for good measure!