Your 5 favourite blades

JayDee

Just as a bit of a discussion topic and perhaps some help for newbs to DE shaving, what are you 5 favourite blades?

Background info: I've been DE shaving for ~ 3 years and have probably tried at least 20 different blades. So my picks of the litter are:

1. Gillette Super Stainless AKA "The Spoiler". As they say, they don't make them like they used to. Very sharp, very smooth, last forever... That's the trifecta. Not bad for a blade that has been sitting around (unwrapped) for up to 50 years.

2. Polsilver Super Iridium. Sharp, smooth and I can easily get 6 shaves out of them. The closest modern blade I've found to the Spoilers.

3. Permasharp Super. To my mind, 90% as good as a Polsilver for 50% of the price. Took me a few shaves to adjust my angle to get the most out of them but after that, happy days. The blade I shaved with this morning. Would be #2 on my list if price was a consideration!

4. Personna Lab Blues/Meds. Same blade, different price. Sharp as, reasonably smooth. Good all round blade for shaving your face and considering they were designed to shave more,umm, sensitive areas of your body, they do a damn good job!!

5. Have to throw a wildcard in.... Treet Durasharp Carbon blades. The little Pakistani that could! Really only good for 3 shaves but very smooth and forgiving, just the go to blade a day or two after you cut your face to pieces with bad technique or a Feather blade or possibly both.

Honourable mentions: Gillette Platinum, Personna Crystal and the 2 workhorses of DE shaving, the Astra Green and the Personna Red (these 2 will never let you down). Oh and also the Schick Platinum Plus - I can see why people rave about it but it never seemed to play that nice with me.

Dishonourable mentions: Derby, Shark and basically anything that was sharpened on a broken bottle.. Like a Merkur... Twice the price of anything else on the market and I doubt it would remove the rego sticker off my windscreen!

I've never tried a GSB or any of the 7 O'Clock blades, so I can't comment on them but seeing as my top 3 are all current or former Gillette products, I'm guessing I'd like them.

I can't order them but:

1. Treet DS Carbon
2. Voskhod
3. Polsilver SI
4. Sputnik
5. Feather (in the right razor)

1-3, in no particular order: Vintage Schick Plus Platinum, Vintage Gillette Spoiler, Vintage Wilkinson Sword (no idea which vintage one it is).
4. Perma sharp.
5. And recently.....Feather.

Voskhod
Ladas
PolSilver SI
Kai
Gillette Silver Blue

My 5 favourite modern blades (....vintage blades aside, as it would be too hard to narrow to just 5!)
1. Feather
2. Gillette Silver Blues
3. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinums (Indian Blacks)
4. Gillette 7 O'Clock PermaSharp Stainless (Indian Greens)
5. PermaSharp Super
...BTW this will likely change by next week.

Polsilver SI
Perma-sharp Super
Feather
Persona Lab Blue
Hoping to fill fifth place with a trial of new blades soon

I can't even get it down to 5 favourite vintage blades

1. Personna Med Prep
2. GEM
3. Kai Captain Titan Mild (in my Mongoose)
4. Gillette Platinum (in certain razors only)
5. Vacant

For me the Personna takes the trophy because it's superb blade in all of my DE razors.

Like @stillshunter, blades 3 - 5 will mostly likely change in the short term.

Discontinued & hard to find:
  1. Light Brigades - coz @borked bought them all
  2. P74's - ridiculous prices
  3. Swedes - just aren't any around, all being hoarded
  4. Older 70's Super Silvers.
  5. Gillette Platinum Plus - Silver metal dispenser, late 70's into the 80's.

Available Vintage:
  1. English Gillette Platinum, late 60's/early 70's.
  2. English Wilkinson Sword, 70's.
  3. Personna Super Stainless Ultra Chrome.
  4. Spoilers.
  5. Schick Platinum Plus.
Modern:
  1. White Platinums
  2. Silver Blues
  3. GBE
  4. PermaSharp Super
  5. Dark Platinums

PolSilver SI. Personna Blue. Feather (in right razor).

Nothing else makes my list so far. There are many "ok" blades (Astra green for example) but I don't love them. I used a Voskhod this morning for the first time. Meh. Will see how it goes through the week, but the rate of change in epidermis depth was greater than I care for.

Although, extrapolating from the correlations with those who also like my trio, I must try the Permasharp super. Who wants to send me a pack?!? You know you want to...

Last edited:
Vosky's are a weird blade. I love them in the ej de89, but don't like them much in anything else I now have.
Just gave the last of mine away as a freebie to someone who likes them as an added extra in a trade.

PolSilver SI. Personna Blue. Feather (in right razor).

Nothing else makes my list so far. There are many "ok" blades (Astra green for example) but I don't love them. I used a Voskhod this morning for the first time. Meh. Will see how it goes through the week, but the rate of change in epidermis depth was greater than I care for.

Although, extrapolating from the correlations with those who also like my trio, I must try the Permasharp super. Who wants to send me a pack?!? You know you want to...

Whoa... Who's been giving the thesaurus a workout? :) "rate of change in epidermis depth".. So they cut the crap out of your face?? @MrT PM me your address and I'll toss you a pack of PSS's .