Your most essential or consistently used shaving item

possumbelly

[No giant lemons here]
Many of us like to change things up but I’ve been wondering if people have an item that they use extremely consistently - i.e. almost every single time they shave.

It may be a specific type of blade or a pre-shave or post-shave item, a razor, or something else. Maybe a specific brand of soap (if not the same fragrance).

For me, it’s definitely my Alum block. In the last 2-3 years, I’ve probably used it after just about every shave. Seems essential for me. This means I never reach for “astringent” items like Thayers or Myrsol Metilsol or Antesol any more, even though they are great too.

I try to share equally among all products but a few that have stood out recently are:

Straight shaving:
Brush:- Vie-Long 22mm Brown Horse Hair
Soap:- GEO.F.Trumper's - Spanish Leather
The GFT has a similar scent to Tabac but so much slicker
OLpB52D.jpg

Most often reached for:
Troycraft (@TroyTools) Kakadu Gold brush - customised 24mm fan
Kno0Tp4.jpg

I consistently use a shaving cream if in a hurry or a soap if not. I have (like a lot of shavers in this forum) a lot of soaps, creams and razors because I like variety in my life. Truth be told, if my only shaving soap was MWF and my only razor was the PILS then I would be satisfied.

I consistently use a shaving cream if in a hurry or a soap if not. I have (like a lot of shavers in this forum) a lot of soaps, creams and razors because I like variety in my life. Truth be told, if my only shaving soap was MWF and my only razor was the PILS then I would be satisfied.

You got me started! If I had to pick:
One brush - an Omega Boar
One soap - Mikes (or Saponificio V)
One razor for heavy growth - Muhle R41
One razor for daily use - Merkur 34cHD
One blade - Gillette yellows
One AS - Myrsol Green C
One fragrance - Creed Vetiver
and some Alum of course

I try to share equally among all products but a few that have stood out recently are:

Straight shaving:
Brush:- Vie-Long 22mm Brown Horse Hair
Soap:- GEO.F.Trumper's - Spanish Leather
The GFT has a similar scent to Tabac but so much slicker
OLpB52D.jpg

Most often reached for:
Troycraft (@TroyTools) Kakadu Gold brush - customised 24mm fan
Kno0Tp4.jpg
Beautiful brush 👍.

Rockwell 6s. Out of my 30+ razors it's the only one I use for head shaving.
Yup, 30 razors here too, but if I'm pressed for time and going out soon after shaving, Rockwell 6S with the 3 plate is my go to. Guaranteed no nicks, cuts, blood, rash or burn. And a good smooth shave too. Under-rated razor I reckon.

And a big thank you for the kind words on the brushes fellas, really lifts a guy up when reading such nice words about my work.:happy:

PS Spoiler: I've got wood stabilizing equipment now!:cool:

Merkur Progress is by far my most used razor. I'd never be without it.

Muhle/EJ silvertip fibre brushes. These are the only brushes I use now.

Polsilver, BIC, Nacet blades are the only blades I use.

MWF is the only soap I'll never be without. All my other soaps are nice-to-haves.

I’m trying to work out if there is any badger in there! Sounds like there isn’t.

I’m going to revisit some of my synthetics. They are quite different but also a nice change.
My Chinese badger is very synthetic. Synthetic brushes (even the cheap ones) have come a long way over the past few years. I have/had 3 badger, 2 boar and 3 synthetics costing from under $5 to over $200.

I just love how deceptive the name is: Chinese guaranteed (badger) genuine (badger) pure (badger) best (badger) badger hair (badger) synthetic (or is it synthetic :unsure: ) brush

Reminds me of a visit to the Roman ruin of Ephesus (fantastic, highly recommended). Rather than walk up the hill, we caught a cab outside the main entrance that took us to the top of the hill so we could walk down. At the top of the hill was a shop with a very large sign that stated "Genuine Fake Watches". My daughters thought it was hilarious. We then debated various interpretations: genuine watches, fake watches, fake fake watches, genuine fakes etc. :wideyed:

I have a few to choose from but for well over a year now, I have only used my Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger hair synthetic brush.

This brush is not liked by some on P&C as it is cheap, however they have never tried it.

full
The more I see this brush the more it reminds me of the budget offering recently found at Colesworth which by all accounts does a good job.
Personally not for me as previously bad experiences using super cheapo brushes that fall apart way too easily but YMMV... (y)