Help me configurate my Configurator

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Damn @filobiblic , he has me curious about a shavemac custom. Had so many badgers and hated them but he is convinced I'll love me a D01. So I'm over at the shavemac site playing with the Configurator and so far I've come up with:

43677255.jpg

Silvertip D01 2-Band
Knot size 23 mm
Hair loft = 45 mm

I know there's a few folks here have gone through the process and hope I can benefit from your insights.

My concerns are:
1. I can't stand bulb knots (like the #177 which I sold quickly). I've written to Bernd and wondering whether you know if he does a flatter fan knot - or does the D01 2-band already come out quite flattish?

2. I want the softest tips with decent backbone - have I picked the right knot? I want something like my well-worn boar brushes (Semogue SOCs) for face feel (happy to have a little more backbone but must be as soft as the SOCs at a minimum).

3. I can't abide by a small handle. Think Duke 2 as too small. Is this one here a decent size?...I couldn't find information on handle dimensions so went with the most pleasing shape for face lathering grippage.

....and what else haven't I thought about when it comes to shavemacs?

It's a fair whack to dole out for a clutch of dead animal hair and moulded plastic, so be keen on your help to buy once and buy right.

Shavemac definitely do a flat top. I find the fan shape perfect but a flat top can definitely be had:
jrSChpdR6hZ5.JPG

I have a 24mm 2 band fan set at 48mm and find it has tons of backbone whilst being scrubby with soft tips. The D01 supposedly has more backbone. If you set it at a little over 2:1 (24mm knot at 52mm say) you may find what you are looking for.

Shavemac definitely do a flat top. I find the fan shape perfect but a flat top can definitely be had:
jrSChpdR6hZ5.JPG

I have a 2 band fan and find it has tons of backbone whilst being scrubby with soft tips. The D01 supposedly has more backbone.

Goodness me it looks like a Marine ;)

content-063213.jpg

...maybe a little more of a fan. Hmmmm.....wonder how best to explain this to shavemac?

Looking for something more like the third brush along.
IMG_2019.jpg

Not a fan of scritch. I want soft to the face and firm underneath.
Possible?

The 2 band is not scritchy at all. It is definitely firm underneath though. Lots of presence and backbone. Haven't tried the D01 2 band but have heard that they can be an acquired taste.

Regular 2 band or D01 silvertip 3 band sounds like the way to go.

Boar?????

He's already a boar convert but the badger worshippers are trying to get him along to their side. (Or he just has a streak deep down inside yearning for being a badger-boy like the other cool cats... [emoji23])

Regular 2 band or D01 silvertip 3 band sounds like the way to go.

I have one each of these and love both. I think Stillsy would go for a D01 with a chunky handle...

I have not tried it yet, but the DO1 2 band apparently needs a longish time to break in. At first it can be very "powerful" for some.

As for the shape, you can ask Bernd for whatever you want (once he is back from holidays) - he ties the knot himself

Bulb: I would ask for a non pointy bulb (in your picture is a classic pointy bulb, which I don't like)

Loft: again for a bulb I would go higher, even a fan in DO1 2-band I'd set higher than 2:1

Don't forget the Shavemac knot is measured at the plug, so 23mm will be 24mm out of the handle...so for a 23mm fan I'd go 48mm loft.

Just as a side note: the brush will be nothing like your SOC - the density alone will blow you away.

If you are after backbone, because of loading hard soaps: maybe a silvertip 2-band with a lower loft is enough?

If you are after backbone from density, the DO1 3 band might be your choice (although I doubt it, since boars have so little density)

If you are after the backbone for face fell, be ready to experience real backbone - my Nathan Clark has supposedly similar backbone like the DO1 2-band (but less density) and it is a beast - and it took a good month to loosen up and get there.

From my personal experience I would not start with the extreme (DO1 2-band), unless you are really sure you want extreme...

Ask Bernd what he would recommend - tell him what you have tried so far, and what you like and dislike - he has more experience than all of us together.

I have not tried it yet, but the DO1 2 band apparently needs a longish time to break in. At first it can be very "powerful" for some.

As for the shape, you can ask Bernd for whatever you want (once he is back from holidays) - he ties the knot himself

Bulb: I would ask for a non pointy bulb (in your picture is a classic pointy bulb, which I don't like)

Loft: again for a bulb I would go higher, even a fan in DO1 2-band I'd set higher than 2:1

Don't forget the Shavemac knot is measured at the plug, so 23mm will be 24mm out of the handle...so for a 23mm fan I'd go 48mm loft.

Just as a side note: the brush will be nothing like your SOC - the density alone will blow you away.

If you are after backbone, because of loading hard soaps: maybe a silvertip 2-band with a lower loft is enough?

If you are after backbone from density, the DO1 3 band might be your choice (although I doubt it, since boars have so little density)

If you are after the backbone for face fell, be ready to experience real backbone - my Nathan Clark has supposedly similar backbone like the DO1 2-band (but less density) and it is a beast - and it took a good month to loosen up and get there.

From my personal experience I would not start with the extreme (DO1 2-band), unless you are really sure you want extreme...

Ask Bernd what he would recommend - tell him what you have tried so far, and what you like and dislike - he has more experience than all of us together.

Good advice - complicated isn't it!

Hey - Happy shaving :)

Damn @filobiblic , he has me curious about a shavemac custom. Had so many badgers and hated them but he is convinced I'll love me a D01. So I'm over at the shavemac site playing with the Configurator and so far I've come up with:

43677255.jpg

Silvertip D01 2-Band
Knot size 23 mm
Hair loft = 45 mm

I know there's a few folks here have gone through the process and hope I can benefit from your insights.

My concerns are:
1. I can't stand bulb knots (like the #177 which I sold quickly). I've written to Bernd and wondering whether you know if he does a flatter fan knot - or does the D01 2-band already come out quite flattish?

2. I want the softest tips with decent backbone - have I picked the right knot? I want something like my well-worn boar brushes (Semogue SOCs) for face feel (happy to have a little more backbone but must be as soft as the SOCs at a minimum).

3. I can't abide by a small handle. Think Duke 2 as too small. Is this one here a decent size?...I couldn't find information on handle dimensions so went with the most pleasing shape for face lathering grippage.

....and what else haven't I thought about when it comes to shavemacs?

It's a fair whack to dole out for a clutch of dead animal hair and moulded plastic, so be keen on your help to buy once and buy right.

He does a fan knot, which is what mine is. I don't think you want the flat though. Mine is the silver tip 2-band (not D01). The D01 isn't as soft as the non. That was the advice I was given, but the brush bares that out in that it is very soft. I would not get the D01. The two band does however have excellent back bone. I added a couple of mm to soften it out a little (24x52) but I am very happy with it. I have one boar - the Semogue 1800 which is well broken in and this brush is easily softer. If you want the softest tips, you want the three band. I went with two band for looks alone. The handle that I chose is similar (slightly larger diameter) than a Chubby 2, but longer. The configurator gives you the brush handle dimensions.

Just checking, but going by the way you are talking, you are actually in the wrong spot on the site for a custom brush. Make sure you are here. Click on the silhouette of the handles and a pop up gives you the dimensions for a given knot size.