I'm not getting the awesome results from vintage blades :(

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
As part of a trade, I received a few different vintage blades to try out (thanks @eggbert )

I have been using them one by one and whilst the shave itself is good, I'm not getting the ultra closeness, nor the super smoothness, nor the extreme longevity.

I've used 5 vintage blades (wilky, Gillette, personna and rubie).

I remember my amazing experience with the NOS GBE...now that was a shave experience! Didn't even feel the blade on my face and yet ended up with the most amazing BBS.

The only blade to come close to that experience is the current polsilver SI, which is the only blade I use now.
I hope my stash of NOS polsilver are as good if not better.

Am I missing something? Why aren't I getting the stellar results people experience with vintage blades?

Different Strokes, Different Folks

Another thought.

I find blades, including vintage blades, work differently in different razors. It could be a case of these blades not working in the particular razor you are using.

@Mark1966
You may be right about this.
One thing that gives me a doubt cos the progress razor I've found never discriminates against blades :D
Unlike other razors, the progress takes any blade and brings out its best.
The rockwell also handles most blades very nicely.

Perhaps the PSI really is the goldilocks of blades for me.

@Drubbing
Whilst it may be the case that the power of suggestion is at work, the NOS GBE is one vintage blade that was the absolute bee's knees!

As part of a trade, I received a few different vintage blades to try out (thanks @eggbert )

I have been using them one by one and whilst the shave itself is good, I'm not getting the ultra closeness, nor the super smoothness, nor the extreme longevity.

I've used 5 vintage blades (wilky, Gillette, personna and rubie).

I remember my amazing experience with the NOS GBE...now that was a shave experience! Didn't even feel the blade on my face and yet ended up with the most amazing BBS.

The only blade to come close to that experience is the current polsilver SI, which is the only blade I use now.
I hope my stash of NOS polsilver are as good if not better.

Am I missing something? Why aren't I getting the stellar results people experience with vintage blades?

Yeah they are a bugger them blades...and highly toxic. They need to be disposed of professionally. Thankfully I know someone who is able to rid you of them responsibly. Just PM me for address details.

@Drubbing
Whilst it may be the case that the power of suggestion is at work, the NOS GBE is one vintage blade that was the absolute bee's knees!

I think Monsta flicked me a couple. They were memorably smooth, but that has to be offset by the very significant cost of buying them. Not worth it for me. The diminishing returns on cost vs benefit was too much.

Well, I'm pretty well set with my 6600 polsilvers.

@Mark1966
Do I get the grand society badge?

I think we might have to wait for the next meeting of the said society before they are conferred.

I've had a few not so memorable shaves with some of them recently. Think a couple of the packets may not have been stored properly at some stage in their life.

I too have a big box of both the old school Super Iridiums, Polsilver Super Iridiums, and the other Polsilvers in the brown packaging. They're all among the best blades I've tried - that said, it's hard to beat Perma-Sharps for half the price as they're 95% as good. It's been a while since I've looked, but a couple of years ago they were about $20/100 blades from bestshave.net. I assume PSI's are still going for north of $40/100?

As Eggy said above, when you look at the price of vintage blades it seems a bit of a risk when you don't know how well NOS blades have been stored.

@eggbert I think the blades condition is all good. Wifey tried a couple and they shaved Ok.

@Mong.
The perma-sharp weren't sharp enough for me compared to psi. I bought 100, used 3 and sold the rest.