Why do you shave with a straight razor?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
I would think there are many reasons people shave with a straight razor and of late we have had a few new members who are SR users.

My 98% daily shave is a straight but I no longer have the 9-5 workday commitments I once had.

I sometimes hear comments such as -

They take much more maintenance -
A much higher degree of technique to achieve a satisfactory shave -
They can be less than forgiving if you loose concentration -

So if these things are on the surface true what is your reason for shaving in such a "primitive" manner. :)

Do you mix up your week with SE/DE and straight?
Is the straight your daily shaver or only a special occasion?
Long term have you noticed any benefits in skin condition?
Do you have a different routine for a straight razor compared to a DE/SE?

Enough questions - over to you.

Do I mix it up?
I often plan to, but have only done so once in the last four months or so. I decide to use a DE, but when it actually comes to grabbing a razor I just cannot pass over the straights. Might be because I only have one DE. I have often thought of getting another, maybe a FB, or Mergres but since I don't use the one I have, I am reluctant to spend the money on something I might not use. Catch 22.

Is the SR your daily?

Yes. See above.

Benefits in Skin Condition?

Compared to a DE or all other shaving methods? I cannot say really because I have limited DE experience, probably not. That said, I used to use an electric and it was far kinder on my skin than a blade. I would say this is the case because the stationary foil touches your skin, and the blade is behind that. Shave quality wasn't as good though and there are other negatives.

Different routine?
I cannot say really because I have limited DE experience, probably not.

So why do I use a SR over a DE?
Not 100% sure. At the most basic, it's just cool to shave with an open blade. I like the fact that my shave quality is 100% dependant on me. How I have honed the blade, how I have stropped it, how I have stored it, how I use it on my face, the angle, the pressure etc. Oh, and it saves me money.

• If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.
  • There is that hit of testosterone that using a straight provides. Learn to wield a straight proficiently and you will feel more confident in yourself. No??? Men are driven by a desire to be the best, be the leader, be remembered, be esteemed by their peers. Read our own ramblings as we "assist/help" each other. You use a DE and you feel "a notch above" the next bloke's presentation. Use a straight and you believe you a "a notch higher again".
  • The quality, closeness of the shave and "the whole opera/production" of stropping and wielding a straight is what straight shaving is all about; personal enjoyment.
  • I only have one DE and one SE. The times I just shave to get it done as I wake up in an unco state I'll use the SE over the DE every time since I've owned it as IMO the quality of an SE shave is above a DE (and it's closer to the antiquity look of a straight). I'll add the proviso that I have only used a EJ DE89, Muhle R89 and a Lady Gillette, not a top-end unit like others among us. I do like the look of Fatboy's though and I would own one just to say I own one.
  • The sense of history and connecting with "men of old".
Why do I use a straight? Now that I am proficient (straights are like golf; there are hackers right up to the Arnold Palmer's of this world and even Arnold ended up in the bunker) it is the quality of the shave, Why did I keep going through all the seemingly pointless nicks and blood? MY EGO.

For me it was always one of those things that I thought was "kinda cool" then one day not long ago I thought - why not?

Seriously why not?

It's fun, it's different, and as @Dale.Whiley mentioned it could be a testosterone thing knowing I shave with a piece of steel with no one to blame but myself for poor performance. I definitely feel more confident in myself and it's nice being able to do something for me (sometimes hard with 3 kids under 11)

Really can't say it's saved me any money as I have spent more than I will admit to my wife but I don't regret it at all.

Then there is the shave quality and reduction in irritation I used to get from the aerosol shave cream and the Disposable cartridges.

I haven't shaved with a straight for ages (maintenance was the reason I stopped), but for those shaves I did have with it I actually found it to be easier on my skin that a DE (unless I cut myself of course). I'm not sure how much of that was due to doing less passes as I was learning the straight or the more mellow edge compared to a DE blade or some combination of both.

• If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.
  • There is that hit of testosterone that using a straight provides. Learn to wield a straight proficiently and you will feel more confident in yourself. No??? Men are driven by a desire to be the best, be the leader, be remembered, be esteemed by their peers. Read our own ramblings as we "assist/help" each other. You use a DE and you feel "a notch above" the next bloke's presentation. Use a straight and you believe you a "a notch higher again".
  • The quality, closeness of the shave and "the whole opera/production" of stropping and wielding a straight is what straight shaving is all about; personal enjoyment.
  • I only have one DE and one SE. The times I just shave to get it done as I wake up in an unco state I'll use the SE over the DE every time since I've owned it as IMO the quality of an SE shave is above a DE (and it's closer to the antiquity look of a straight). I'll add the proviso that I have only used a EJ DE89, Muhle R89 and a Lady Gillette, not a top-end unit like others among us. I do like the look of Fatboy's though and I would own one just to say I own one.
  • The sense of history and connecting with "men of old".
Why do I use a straight? Now that I am proficient (straights are like golf; there are hackers right up to the Arnold Palmer's of this world and even Arnold ended up in the bunker) it is the quality of the shave, Why did I keep going through all the seemingly pointless nicks and blood? MY EGO.

This, very well put @Dale.Whiley

As much as I enjoyed using a D/E for me there is no comparison since switching to the straight. The sense of accomplishment, thrill, exhilaration while also being calming/zen like at the same time is unsurpassed. Honing brings a whole other complexity but adds to the satisfaction level and I find it very calming as well.

I will no doubt use a D/E again at some point but I can't see myself doing so any time soon, using a straight is so much fun I don't want to put it down.

Plus it definitely gets me man points with Mrs saku39 which is always a bonus!

I was thinking more about this over night. One thing that really bugs me about a DE/SE is they clog and need constant rinsing. I can do an entire pass without rinsing a SR under the tap so I am just focussed on getting the job done.

WTG & ATG, I do half, then rinse and swap hands for the other half. For whatever reason with XTG I start on the left ear and go across to the right all with one hand so that pass is done without a rinse.

Maintenance kept me away from SR for a while but I was sufficiently drawn to them I tried one anyway. In the end, maintenance isn't onerous and I enjoy the honing I do maybe once a month.

I just got tired of the cartridge systems. 85-in-1! Puh-lease! Shaving is a manly art. Cartridge shaving is not.

Personally, I like the way the straight sings, when it is cutting back the steel wool on my face. Each blade gives a different note, too.

I also like the fact that this 20 minutes (which was originally about 45 when I started) I have all to myself. My wife won't watch, because she is sure that a large section of skin is going to come away at any moment. How's the serenity?

Finally, I find that I don't cut myself anywhere near as much as I did with cartridge razors. I still get the odd claret flow, and some of the beginner scars now look excellent. But nothing as irritating physically, as before.

I don't mix, I shave with a straight razor only now. Can't go back.

I have 2 razors. My siana is for special times as its my baby, my freidr baurmann and sohne is my daily as it is nowhere as pristine as the Dumontel.

I had issues with rashes and brittle skin. Bloody Gillette cream had an alcohol in it as it was in a pressure can. Also lots of pain as I have thick face hair. Since swapping over my skin feels the best it has, I don't feel pain when I shave as the straight razor is damn sharp and there is 1 repeat 1 blade. Not 3 packed tightly together to pluck hairs.......

Same routine I guess as I have a de but not really used much.

I straight shave as it is manly. I remember watching old movies with granddad and men straight shaved. Simple. I am trying to revive the art of manliness and looking to turn some girly men at work into men. Period.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

You had me right till the end :)

and then I looked at my Paypal account :)

Excellent answer, thanks for putting in the time and your thoughts.

Steve

Lol I'm the same. In theory it's cheaper but as soon as you see all the soaps, after shaves, razors etc you go broke fast. So cheaper .......... No.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

I started shaving regularly at 12 years old. It was fun at first but soon an inconvenience. I decided, if I have to do something every day, I might as well make it a hobby instead of a chore. So I started using shavettes & enjoyed it so much I became very interested in the other side of the ritual - honing etc.
I'm brand spanking new to that part but I do think I'll get into it & enjoy that too.
I use a straight on my face & a DE on my head. To be honest, I have way more gouges on my scalp from the DE than my face from the open blade.
I hope one day to build the courage to use a straight on my head as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
After about 10 - 20 times you will begin to develop repeatable muscle memory and then start to shave with a straight more than drive it through the whiskers. Mind you some/many don't enjoy the perceived danger and are wise not to pursue it just to do it. I still slow down around my top lip and nose area, probably my only 25 kph safety zone really, everywhere else is smooth sailing.

It all depends on the blade too. I'm finding that the larger sized blades seem to be a bit more forgiving in trouble areas.

I have the 11/16 (I think) Puma-21, and that is smooth under my beak. No speed limits necessary.

The 9/16 Wester Bros is a different beast, and if I am not careful with it, it will run away with some skin.

I also have a chin dimple, and neither is an issue. Never sliced anything away from there, or slowed down with either.

Both are great to shave with, and the Puma gives a beautiful note. The Wester is all business.

It all depends on the blade too. I'm finding that the larger sized blades seem to be a bit more forgiving in trouble areas.

I have the 11/16 (I think) Puma-21, and that is smooth under my beak. No speed limits necessary.

The 9/16 Wester Bros is a different beast, and if I am not careful with it, it will run away with some skin.

I also have a chin dimple, and neither is an issue. Never sliced anything away from there, or slowed down with either.

Both are great to shave with, and the Puma gives a beautiful note. The Wester is all business.

Mate I have a Club 7/8 full hollow spike point that, I think, could give you a challenge - it is beautiful though