3D printer ideas?

My son has a 3D printer. There are probably only cents worth of materials in that print.

I'll check with my son if I can do a print.

That would be great. Thanks Glenos.

It really is just a small part which is why I was reluctant to pay $30 postage to get it from the States.

It's printing something. Says it will only take about 15 mins
I've got one of these. Might need to tweak some settings.
4AcuSjR.jpeg

by5P2Y6.jpeg

Somethign to keep in mind about this part.

The person who created the part and listed it on Thingicverse is the same guy that is selling it on Shapeways. I noted that the parts he is selling are printed in Nylon. I assume that there is a good reason for this (Nylon is extremely strong, impact resistant and abrasion resistant). The recommended print settings are for 50% infill which suggests that the part needs to be strong as well. Nylon is a little more challenging to print than say PLA or PETG and most off the shelf entry level printers will not have the capability to print Nylon.

Unfortunately I do not have any Nylon filament on hand otherwise I would give this a go. The print itself uses very little filament (only a few grams) but a roll of good Nylon filament is at least $50.

Somethign to keep in mind about this part.

The person who created the part and listed it on Thingicverse is the same guy that is selling it on Shapeways. I noted that the parts he is selling are printed in Nylon. I assume that there is a good reason for this (Nylon is extremely strong, impact resistant and abrasion resistant). The recommended print settings are for 50% infill which suggests that the part needs to be strong as well. Nylon is a little more challenging to print than say PLA or PETG and most off the shelf entry level printers will not have the capability to print Nylon.

Unfortunately I do not have any Nylon filament on hand otherwise I would give this a go. The print itself uses very little filament (only a few grams) but a roll of good Nylon filament is at least $50.

That's a good point, I don't know really know much about 3D printing (read nothing :LOL:) though I'm hoping this won't be too much of an issue.

This part is used as an indent on a joystick throttle. On the throttle, to go into afterburner you have to lift the throttle up and over the piece this replaces. What this one does, is it lets the throttle slide over it with just enough resistance to let you know you are engaging afterburner. So, I'm hoping, with it not getting constant use, it will last as it will only be inserted into the throttle when used for military jets.

That's a good point, I don't know really know much about 3D printing (read nothing :LOL:) though I'm hoping this won't be too much of an issue.

This part is used as an indent on a joystick throttle. On the throttle, to go into afterburner you have to lift the throttle up and over the piece this replaces. What this one does, is it lets the throttle slide over it with just enough resistance to let you know you are engaging afterburner. So, I'm hoping, with it not getting constant use, it will last as it will only be inserted into the throttle when used for military jets.
I read and understood what it was for. Given the prices I saw for the joystick I felt that even given the steep shipping price the part available for sale at Shapeways cost peanuts in comparison.

It's not so much the cost, it's more that I haven't had much luck lately with items arriving from the US. Why pay $30 postage when there's a good chance it will go missing in the mail?

Besides, I'd rather pay for an Aussie to make it than the money go overseas.

I printed 3 for a total mass of 5g and under 10 minutes to download and slice the file. It probably too longer to queue at the post office. Postage is the princely sum of $2.20

Paying a high price for something because "what it goes into us expensive" is flawed logic. Otherwise a fuse for a car should be $500 and not $2

I printed 3 for a total mass of 5g and under 10 minutes to download and slice the file. It probably too longer to queue at the post office. Postage is the princely sum of $2.20

Paying a high price for something because "what it goes into us expensive" is flawed logic. Otherwise a fuse for a car should be $500 and not $2
Reads more like "The company that sells the joystick deserves and is entitled to receive the high price they ask for for the product but the bloke that took the time to design a modification for it (which more than likely took some CAD knowledge as well as hours of time put in to designing, prototyping, reiterating) and has invested $500-$1000 in equipment and likely $200-$300 more in filament is not entitled to charge a reasonable price for his product".

Reads more like "The company that sells the joystick deserves and is entitled to receive the high price they ask for for the product but the bloke that took the time to design a modification for it (which more than likely took some CAD knowledge as well as hours of time put in to designing, prototyping, reiterating) and has invested $500-$1000 in equipment and likely $200-$300 more in filament is not entitled to charge a reasonable price for his product".
And yet, that same guy uploads his design on the web and states he did it so people can use his file for free.

And yet, that same guy uploads his design on the web and states he did it so people can use his file for free.
I'm not debating that and that is his perogative. Saying that what he is charging to print and ship the item is expensive is what I am questioning.