A couple of Omegas

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
I know, it's not like me to post in the brushes section.

I bought a couple of Omegas. Never tried them and they're pretty cheap to do so. The two here cost about $16 all up. These are the 10005 (in wood) and 10275 (black). Pictured with the Sem 2000 for size.

PA250021.jpgPA250022.jpgOmegas top.jpg

The 05 was the first brush I bought, many years ago. It died a slow death on a diet of Gillette and Nivea from a can. Probably never saw any water. Knot fell out in clumps when I dug it out of the cabinet a couple of years ago. Thought I'd see what it could do when used right.

The specs are all over the shop for these two. Different sellers list the 75 as anywhere between 20 and 23 mm knot and 47 to 52 loft. I found similar disparities with the 05. Stacking them up against a couple of Semogues, I'm guessing the 05 is about 22/55 - about the same size as the 1305/830. And the 75, 20/50, so a bit thinner than the 620. The 05 is very much like a smaller 2000, and may well be better for that.

They're not as dense as Semogues either, nor as nicely finished. The 05 has rough patches on the wood, the 75 is plastic fantastic, and is definitely going to be softer through the knot. Density isn't really a measure of boar backbone though, and price - well you generally get what you pay for, the material and bristles look and feel cheaper, but as Pj says, these aren't works of art, or statements in luxury; they're workaday items. Although they outplush the drooling banjo boar. But that's not hard, I've seen nails hammered through a lump of 4x2 that were more thoughtfully put together, and softer tipped.

I'll see how these go for the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Boars sure are fun at those prices.

I reckon the Omega's will go alright and probably demand a bit less product to work well. I definitely think there is a correlation between density and product quantity required for a good lather without excessive work.

Yeah, at the price they were worth a run.

Gave the 75 a go this morning. Loads up easily and well. Got enough lather for 4 or 5 passes if needed. Works well, tips are soft enough to work the brush and the knot is still pretty firm, so it needs to be worked.

These are nice brushes. I won't even add the implicit derogatory proviso "...for the price."

They're simple, feel good and work really well, that's all I've ever asked of a brush; just tend to ask it too often, that's all. I've never had any opinion on Omegas, but the 05 I had years ago never got a decent run, only using it with goo. I remember it being stiff and flicky. That's because it never saw much water.

Unlike most Semogues, these both have firm knots, but they do also have soft tips. Now having been able to try both brands, I'm of the mind that Semogue are going for a 'luxury' boar type product, but many of their brushes are too soft through the knot. That may make them more suited to those who want badger-type brushes on a budget. And they look nice. But I started buying boars because I wanted boar-type brushes. Drooling banjos still don't apply – I've got a minimum $8 limit.

The 05 is my pick of the two. It’s got a decent loft of about 55mm that is soft on the face, but so far is staying firm enough to provide ample resistance, not flop. They're both drying back to stiff quickly, so my feeling is they're going to retain a decent backbone.

The 75 is a bit shorter and I think will take a good while settle in, but these two will still rock out of the box if you know how to use a boar. Because they’re very firm, All I've done is soak them a bit so the knot has some flex, then shake and load. I’ve had no issues getting plenty of quality lather from these two, from any type of soap. They just happen to deliver it nicely too.

I'm glad I've been de-rego'd from them thar forums, as I recently read this high post count merchant on there, in response to a newbie asking about boars:

“…when I get a new boar brush, I don't plan on putting it to my face for another 2 weeks, at least. First, it has to go through numerous wet/dry cycles to begin the break-in, then, another week or so of test-lathering, and THEN I put it to my face ... knowing full well that it still isn't finished. Only after I've had it for 2 or 3 months do I feel it has reached its full potential.”

While I’ve never gone that far, I must admit to dipping my toes into such sad territory in the past and my apologies for that to one and all, but you learn by experience, and mine is, you just use the fuckin thing and let it get better as you go. Yes, they do break in. Yes, you need to make some minor adjustments for a few lathers while it softens up, and some help with this is useful. No, you don't need to pay penance for a few weeks to the high priest of brush bo(a)redom to do it.

If I'm sounding cranky it’s because this sort of stuff just makes it all look too hard. If you want to share your enthusiasm for a topic with others, and those who may have a passing interest, and get them enthused too, relating your convoluted and unnecessary methods to them - which create rules and ritual - is probably the worst way to go about it. B&B has a captive audience of new converts who don't yet know better, are usually impatient to learn everything yesterday, and will follow the 'conventional' wisdom of others. It creates a club of ritual for its own sake, and is more likely to make people think, "Why bother with all that crap?" /Rant

Last edited:
Have you had a Semogue in their lower hair grades? Might give an experience closer to the omega...a truer boar if you will.

I'd say they are definitely going for a badgeresque market with the 90% tops in premium.

Have you had a Semogue in their lower hair grades? Might give an experience closer to the omega...a truer boar if you will.

I'd say they are definitely going for a badgeresque market with the 90% tops in premium.

Tried a couple. The 620 in 'Extra' - their lowest grade. Stiff and scrubby, but still goes quite soft when face lathering. Stays firmest of all of them though. Less finnicky than the pricier ones and I put that down to short loft. Probably their most boar-like boar.

The 1460 - it was sacrificed to make the Blobbie. 'Best' grade. Pretty crap. Good for a week then turned into cup a soup noodles. The floppiest Smoggie I bought. Even floppier than the 'Special' grade SOC.

None are expensive though, so you don't mind not getting something great. I think the US forums hyped them beyond expectation. I even saw a few blokes who did vids and wax lyrical about them, sell a few of them later on. Just quietly.

I think the tops thing is a bit of a furphy. So 90% of the bristle meet the loft stated? Can't really see how having 'only' 70% would make any real world diff. It always seemed like a nothing spec to me.

Tried a couple. The 620 in 'Extra' - their lowest grade. Stiff and scrubby, but still goes quite soft when face lathering. Stays firmest of all of them though. Less finnicky than the pricier ones and I put that down to short loft. Probably their most boar-like boar.

The 1460 - it was sacrificed to make the Blobbie. 'Best' grade. Pretty crap. Good for a week then turned into cup a soup noodles. The floppiest Smoggie I bought. Even floppier than the 'Special' grade SOC.

None are expensive though, so you don't mind not getting something great. I think the US forums hyped them beyond expectation. I even saw a few blokes who did vids and wax lyrical about them, sell a few of them later on. Just quietly.

I think the tops thing is a bit of a furphy. So 90% of the bristle meet the loft stated? Can't really see how having 'only' 70% would make any real world diff. It always seemed like a nothing spec to me.

Cheers for the info mate. Yeah not sure about the %tops thing. Would need to bother looking through the pics and see if their is any correlation to the shape of the knot maybe? Lower tops count = more bulb shaped, Higher tops % = more fan shaped? Just speculation that it might not be a better/worse stat but more a descriptor.

Hoping my Bro-in-law will come to the party with an Omega '48 or '49 at Xmas to give me a look at Omega.

Hoping my Bro-in-law will come to the party with an Omega '48 or '49 at Xmas to give me a look at Omega.

I was in the Re Store in Lake St today. Couldn't last this warm weather without some Proraso aftershave. My original nad still one of the best. Anyway, apart from lotsa Proraso, they've got the Omega 48 or 49 in there, can't remember which one. $18. They're anything from $9-18 online, but not worth it when you add postage.

Worth to go in there and check them out. They're pretty tall, but spec listed online vary from 60-65mm. But then, if I can face lather with a Smoggie 2000, you should be able to get along with either of these. They are considered classics. Anything that's been selling for decades is worth a look.

Last edited:
I was in the Re Store in Lake St today. Couldn't last this warm weather without some Proraso aftershave. My original nad still one of the best. Anyway, apart from lotsa Proraso, they've got the Omega 48 or 49 in there, can't remember which one. $18. They're anything from $9-18 online, but not worth it when you add postage.

Worth to go in there and check them out. They're pretty tall, but spec listed online vary from 60-65mm. But then, if I can face lather with a Smoggie 2000, you should be able to get along with either of these. They are considered classics. Anything that's been selling for decades is worth a look.

That is where my bro in law works. If you got coffee there he is usually on the machine. Tallish, skinny guy with a mop of brown hair. He makes a good cup. I am hoping he will get me one for Xmas from his work.

Mmmm...proraso splash.

..... the Omega 48 or 49....They are considered classics. Anything that's been selling for decades is worth a look.

I had one-a-them once. It had a faux metal handle, might be the 49. Excellent brush but just too big for me. Worked beautifully, never lost a hair and had a great backbone right to the tips. I wouldn't go past an Omega if I ever had to get another boar. Cheap, no bullshit. Right up my alley. My barber uses them. I honestly don't think there is such a thing as boar hair grade. It's a Semoque invention trying to make boar seem like badger. Along the same lines as the immitation badger staining they do. I know it's hard to swallow but I'm convinced the cheap $2 drug store boar brush has bristle that donned the back of same pig that also supplied the bristle for the SOC.

I haven't noticed any discernable difference in quality between one boar or the next to be perfectly honest. The only one that did stick out for all the wrong reasons was the Semoque 1460.

Yeah, but you're cynic from way back Pj. Next thing you'll be telling us religion is for dummies.

I've owned one of every Smoggie 'grade', and they're different in my experience, they just tend to make a lot of the same knot in different handles which makes it look like they've lotsa different brushes. Omega seem to do the same thing.

The Premiums are much of a muchness regardless of spec, and I've the 2000, 1305 and 830. But that 1460 in Best was well below average, to be sure. That they've used Best in the red and black 6 & 8 variants, does reveal they've got a marketing to brush geeks thing going on. The 620 really does look and feel different to all of them though. It's less pretty and more boar like.

It's entirely possible the same type of hair is used from your $2 boars, but it depends on how many of the crappy ones they throw out (the $2 boars just leave them in) and how they set them too - angle can make all the difference, as clear from the 1305/830.

And Semogue don't sell bent handles with dodgy paint.

Yes. Vintage scent reckon that what accounts for the difference in backbone between them.

It certainly will. It'll soften the backbone through providing a softer angle below the top of the handle rather than the hard angle you get in a straight sided aperture. They don't call it boar bristle for nothing. The cup in your 1460 has a distinct flair. Not that the TGN best knot that's in there now particularly needed it's back bone softening but I don't think it matters too much with badger knots as it's a pretty soft hair to start with.

On the other side of the coin, some people with big brushes put an elastic band around their knots or cup their fingers around the base of the knot to give the backbone a bit more grunt.

Last edited:
It'll soften the backbone through providing a softer angle below the top of the handle rather than the hard angle you get in a straight sided aperture. They don't call it boar bristle for nothing. The cup in your 1460 has a distinct flair.

This is something distinct that I've noticed between the Semogues and Omegas. The Smoggies definitely have a flare. All the Smoggies, bar the 1305 which is stiffer and stands straighter, have this badgerlike bloom after use. The Omegas don't bloom much at all.

I think this flaring is what contributes to the lack of backbone. The 2000 is massive after being wetted, and I think it's going to soften considerably over use. Which is a shame, because it's pretty big, but the handle is very ergonomic.

The 75 is pretty soft, but stumpy, so it still works well. the 05 is a different beast. Only 5mm longer but totally different feel. Still very springy, soft but firm. None of the lathering break in malarky, these two always provide plenty.

This is something distinct that I've noticed between the Semogues and Omegas. The Smoggies definitely have a flare. All the Smoggies, bar the 1305 which is stiffer and stands straighter, have this badgerlike bloom after use. The Omegas don't bloom much at all.

I watched some lathering videos on the weekend and saw that most guys generating a good lather easily on a hard soap are way more aggressive with the brush than I have been. I took to the MWF last night with my 830 employing a bit more pressure than I have been...

Holy cow! That smoggie churned up the 'fat and made the best straight MWF lather I have ever had. I think the Semogue "flare" that Drubbing talks about above may have been throwing me off by making me think the brush was in good contact with the soap when I was really just wafting across the surface of the puck.

The 830 felt like it had a stack of backbone after my experiments with the FS Silvertip :laugh:

I honestly don't think there is such a thing as boar hair grade. It's a Semoque invention trying to make boar seem like badger.

Just a revisit on this. I've used these two boars for a couple of weeks now and the bristle does look and feel quite different.

Yes, one is banded and dyed and the other natural, but the 75 bristles look finer and seem softer. It's a stumpier brush but softer all round. I find it feels and behaves like a small badger with the way it splays, but with some grunt.

The 05 is only a bit bigger but is far firmer and boarlike. It's possible Omegas uses hair from a different area for smaller brushes, or it could be completely arbitrary. But they are different.