Aaaand it's back to the Microserver!

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Again, it looks like some spam was leaking out, so I have had to remove the VM from the previous hosting with no notice.

It's back on the Microservers at home. I am looking at options as I need to host more than one site right now.

Apologies for the speeds of the site, will see how we can go getting some reasonable hosting.

I have reverted the DNS back to BuddyNS now, we have DNS service in Sydney (on the VPS from my home as master), Adelaide, Chennai (India) and Nuremburg (Germany).

Once things settle a little, I will hide the Sydney master zone and add a US-based name server - likely to be based in Texas. Not sure of the exact location but likely to be in Austin or Dallas. Hopefully the load on the server will be markedly reduced.

This all sounds very complicated and a nuisance :(

Thanks for looking after this side of things mate.

............we have DNS service in Sydney (on the VPS from my home as master), Adelaide, Chennai (India) and Nuremburg (Germany)...........

As usual Perth is left out of the loop. Not surprised it's (whatever "it" is) available in Nuremburg. All this is a bit of a trial anyhow.

As usual Perth is left out of the loop. Not surprised it's (whatever "it" is) available in Nuremburg. All this is a bit of a trial anyhow.

Stop complaining. I have shaved 35ms off your DNS lookups, you only have to go to Adelaide for that now instead of Sydney. You should notice it responding a little quicker.

The other places are places to 'find' the site. If one goes down, then you have others. The idea is to spread them worldwide so that if there is a major cable cut, then you have options elsewhere.

But yes, the whole thing is a bit of a trial. We will get there eventually.

Sydney is now hidden, and we have replaced it with a nameserver in Texas. Most of the online DNS test sites are in the US and they all show a much faster response, well under 30ms. Before, we were seeing 180ms because it had to come all the way back to Sydney.

This all sounds very complicated and a nuisance :(

Thanks for looking after this side of things mate.

Yeah, big nuisance really - all my COD time I had planned for yesterday just evaporated. That said we are in a better position than we were on the DNS side, and I think I should be able to put an SSD in the Microserver here for extra disk speed, should speed things up a bit.

Small amount of downtime to put the SSD in the Microserver. Apologies - it couldn't be helped.

Now need to trim the VM back from 60GB to under 55GB so it fits on the faster drive.

I'm sure that makes sense to some people - just thanks :)

We are now on the SSD.... I am happy to hear thoughts - especially if it seems faster to post.

I haven't seen disk latency cracking off the baseline yet so it seems much more responsive than before where I was seeing latencies more like 5ms at times.

EDIT: did seem to still be slow when posting in another thread. CPU's are pretty slow so maybe there isn't enough grunt there.

hmm, I understand most of what he is posting. Now, where did I put my nerd of the day badge.

What cpu's are you running? Xeons? You would think with ssd drives there should be little or no delay at least.

What cpu's are you running? Xeons? You would think with ssd drives there should be little or no delay at least.

The Microservers have AMD Turion CPUs in them, the ones in mine (N40L) are 1.5Ghz dual core. The original N36L's had the same chip clocked at 1.3Ghz, and the later N54L's had them at 2.2Ghz. Generally they were laptop CPU's quite a while ago, then they selected them for the Microservers because they could get them very cheap from AMD.

The new Gen8 Microservers come with a Intel (Pentium) G1610 or G2020 - dual core and a fair bit quicker. You can slip a Xeon in them though.

Thinking that a i3/i5 NUC would run miles faster than what I have right now.