Another new member saying hi

Hi mr626, welcome.

As far as sanity, I could talk about beers, coffee and chillies here, but I doubt I could talk about shaving in a beer, coffee or chilli forum.
Does that make us here the more rounded individuals, or make us as crazy as those other places would consider us?
I think taking one's "strangest" topic to talk about and expanding that forum to include other things that are "normal" is only for the best, as it makes life easier.
:D

Hi mr626, welcome.

As far as sanity, I could talk about beers, coffee and chillies here, but I doubt I could talk about shaving in a beer, coffee or chilli forum.
Does that make us here the more rounded individuals, or make us as crazy as those other places would consider us?
I think taking one's "strangest" topic to talk about and expanding that forum to include other things that are "normal" is only for the best, as it makes life easier.
:D

Sounds great. I like hearing about other people's interests. Often they become my own interests too. The only thing that really suffers is the bank balance :p

Well a somewhat belated welcome mate!

You have certainly got a sound base to work from with the kit you have. In time a greater range of blades (and possibly razors) will add some variety. I'd suggest though that you stick with one or two blades for the first couple of months.

As RM said some razor/blades combos are better that others. By using two blades you tend to reduce the likelihood of any problems when starting our being down to the blade and you allow yourself to learn what you are doing and master it without adding the complexity of the blade into the equation.

Not everybody agrees with me but that is my approach and advice to those starting out.

If you are going to buy an adjustable off eBay when you receive it you also need to check the blade gap and the adjustment to make sure that it is working. Seen too many when it doesn't.

To do this stick a blade in the razor. Look carefully at the safety (guard) bars to make sure that they parallel to the blade and that the spacing is even. Then open the silo doors and adjust the razor to 1 - the lowest setting. The blade should be only slightly exposed with only a small blade gap. Open the doors again adjust the razor to 9, close the doors and look again. There should be a noticeable difference. If not you have a problem - send it back!!!!

Anyway, happy shaving

Well a somewhat belated welcome mate!

You have certainly got a sound base to work from with the kit you have. In time a greater range of blades (and possibly razors) will add some variety. I'd suggest though that you stick with one or two blades for the first couple of months.

As RM said some razor/blades combos are better that others. By using two blades you tend to reduce the likelihood of any problems when starting our being down to the blade and you allow yourself to learn what you are doing and master it without adding the complexity of the blade into the equation.

Not everybody agrees with me but that is my approach and advice to those starting out.

If you are going to buy an adjustable off eBay when you receive it you also need to check the blade gap and the adjustment to make sure that it is working. Seen too many when it doesn't.

To do this stick a blade in the razor. Look carefully at the safety (guard) bars to make sure that they parallel to the blade and that the spacing is even. Then open the silo doors and adjust the razor to 1 - the lowest setting. The blade should be only slightly exposed with only a small blade gap. Open the doors again adjust the razor to 9, close the doors and look again. There should be a noticeable difference. If not you have a problem - send it back!!!!

Anyway, happy shaving

Thanks for the welcome Mark, and thanks for the tips re ebay purchases. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my eye on a couple already!

I can see where you are coming from with using 2 blades as I start out. Makes sense to me- if I am getting consistently bad shaves with both kinds of blades I can rule out that its just one 'type' of blade that doesn't agree with me? I'm guessing that for this to be useful I'll need to make sure I use two blades that are fairly different then.

Well, I would have had my DE kit for tonight, if I hadn't missed the postman that is!

VERY impressive delivery time from shaving.ie. I placed the order last Wednesday and I could have had it today. 6 days from Ireland to Australia, including a weekend! I'll be ordering from them again.

Shaving.ie are awesome.

I bought my starter kit from them and have bought a fair bit of stuff from them also.

I've never had any problems with them at all.

Yes, trick with them is to order Thursday night or Friday morning out time. This gets it onto a flight from Heathrow Saturday morning their time and it arrives here Monday morning. It's all luck of the Customs draw after that.

I think I mentioned that over at OCAU too.