Anyone own a Savile Row Best Badger

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day ;)

As you've already known I've own two Simpson Best Badger 2-band brushes which are the Duke 3 & Berkeley 46 as I'm thinking about getting a Savile Row Best Badger and I'm asking anyone own a Savile Row 24mm knot could you please share you're feedback and reviews, because I'm interested in these models by Savile Row are they really good brushes to buy compare to Simpson quality and standard.

#2124 http://www.qedusa.com/savile-savile....html?osCsid=27fb5f34c417d435f58906b55ddbb114
SR2124.jpg

#2824 http://www.qedusa.com/savile-savile....html?osCsid=27fb5f34c417d435f58906b55ddbb114
SR2824.jpg

Savile Row use Shavemac knots - so unless you are 100% happy with the handle & knot dimension you might as well go to the original source...

@MrT has a 24mm Saville Row -as does a few others here that don't comment too often.

The words dreaming and wet shouldn't be used in the same sentence...

Yes, I have a 3124. I love it. And yes, I hear that they are made by Shavemac.

I would save your pennies and go a silvertip or 2 band. Buying best badger always leads to upgraditus in my experience...

The words dreaming and wet shouldn't be used in the same sentence...

Yes, I have a 3124. I love it. And yes, I hear that they are made by Shavemac.

I would save your pennies and go a silvertip or 2 band. Buying best badger always leads to upgraditus in my experience...

Oh, I didn't see that part about best...

Although Shavemac Finest is by many regarded as a great bang for your buck and also reported to be much more consistent and softer than the similar Simpson Best - Shavemac Silvertip and 2-Silvertip are the ones to go for - the later maybe even more.

I have yet to hear/read/see 1 single bad word about any Shavemac...

Oh, I didn't see that part about best...

Although Shavemac Finest is by many regarded as a great bang for your buck and also reported to be much more consistent and softer than the similar Simpson Best - Shavemac Silvertip and 2-Silvertip are the ones to go for - the later maybe even more.

I have yet to hear/read/see 1 single bad word about any Shavemac...
I had a significant issue with my 177. A huge shedder and too floppy. So much so that I had to return it for a refund.
Having said that, I appreciate that it was an anomaly. I am in the process of ordering a 2 band from them.

I find the Silvertip too soft and not enough backbone compare to Best Badger or Finest Badger IF I'm not mistaken, because the Best Badger or Finest Badger is right in the middle not too scratchy as Pure I'm also told the Silvertip D01 and Silvertip D01 2-band is also scratchy if I'm not mistaken. The Silvertip is too soft and too much splaying when not having enough backbone compare to Best Badger or Finest Badger, I like it just right in the middle and perfect balance.

I'm not 100% sure about Silvertip 2-band might have more backbone compare to Duke 3 Best and it might be too soft for me and waste of money, trouble is and it's a shame to see Shavemac doesn't offer Finest Badger 2-band and this is why the Simpsons brand offer the Duke 3 Best (as finest badger) 2-band. A while ago I'm told by @alfredus the Simpsons are using 3-band if I understood him correctly, as the brand knot size starting from 24mm or higher are using 3-band instead of 2-band as the Duke 3 otherwise I've got no idea.

@SpeedyPC you do realise that there is no set standard across the industry for badger hair grades? What is best in one, may be equivalent to super in another. Then there's also brush shapes and loft to control backbone on top of hair type. Don't buy into what you read, and don't think that because someone else has said it on a forum, you "may not be mistaken", because in all likelyhood, you are.

@Korbz well sorry for being a real #1 pain in the arse, if I had more money in the world to buy all the different badger brushes to be able to learn and fully understand about them I wouldn't be trying to ask a stupid question in the first place as I wanted too have a different badger brand. The only badger brand I know so far and own two brushes is Simpsons that all and nothing else, I've never experience any other badger brand like you guys may have and I don't. Well like I said sorry for being a real #1 pain in the arse as I'm trying to learn as much as I can thank you and see you'll later and take care and all best you win.

@SpeedyPC take offence if you want, but it wasn't intended. I was highlighting 2 things. Firstly that everyone has their own opinions and not to believe everything that you read. Secondly, you say yourself that you only know 2 badger brushes, but in the post just prior you're telling people what the properties of 3 and 2 band brushes are (in a holistic and general sense), and that you find silvertip lacking backbone. Now, without firsthand experience, how would you know?

I only own 2 badgers, a floppy mens biz 21mm job and the shavemac 2-band I only just recieved. I'll happily say that I'm not an expert, and generally refrain from giving advice due to lack of knowledge. What I can tell you, is that a 25mm 2-band with a 50mm loft has plenty of backbone. In a bulb shape or lower loft, it would have more (more then enough for most).

If you want people's opinions, ask. If you want to learn, listen. If you want to argue, start telling the people who respond how they're wrong.

@Korbz I went to Men's Biz in the City a place called the Strand Arcade on George St and I've spoken to man to allow me to hold a Super Badger brush which is the same as the Silvertip, and it way too soft not enough backbone and too much splaying before I buy it.

Last point before I'm out (which I tried to make before). There is no standard in badger hair. The super you held, will not be the same as a super from a different knot source. Nor will it be representative of a silvertip in 2 or 3 band, or D01 variation from shavemac, or HMW, or MW, manchurian, or any other variation you can think of. But by all means, if you want to stick to one type of hair from one manufacturer, go for it. Whatever makes you happy sir.

I had a significant issue with my 177. A huge shedder and too floppy. So much so that I had to return it for a refund.
Having said that, I appreciate that it was an anomaly. I am in the process of ordering a 2 band from them.
Every company can have a bad product - its the way they treat it that makes a difference. I still haven't heard 1 bad word about Shavemacs, because they dealt with your problem and that is a good thing...not all brush companies do it that way.

@SpeedyPC the problem with Mens Biz is, they can and want to only sell you what they have - not what they don't have.

And @Korbz is absolutely right, that every manufacturer names their hair grades differently, so you get more confused and think you can compare them...but they are different...

I am not an expert either and I there are many many brushes I have not tried.

But from my personal experience: a Shavemac 2-band Silvertip has tips that are as soft or even softer than a Simpson Super and way more backbone than a Simpson Best.

The problem with many manufacturers is, that they might use decent hair, but the knot is not dense and the loft is too high - and then you have that floppy feeling. You have to compare apples with apples.

I know, that a good Shavemac has super soft tips AND a great backbone...you just have to trust those, who have tried them.
I also know, that the top Simpson 2-band hair grades (Manchurian & Silvertip) are way too expensive for me - at least in the sizes I am interested in (Chubby 2/3, Tulip 4, PL 10/12)

You could always go a custom brush. Get a 24mm silvertip set at 50 or 48mm and you should have plenty of backbone. A fan knot also helps in that regard.

You live in Sydney? You are welcome to borrow my badgers. I have a Savile Row 3124 and a Shavemac custom (22mm silvertip set at 48mm in fan knot).

That's a super generous offer @MrT

I have the limited edition Shave the Man brush that was made by QED, not sure of the dimensions, its a soft silvertip loaded with heaps of hair, however, it sheds, a lot. Starting to get a bit worried i might have got a dud. Still lathers awesome but leaves hair in my pot, on my face in my razor. I read a review recently that Shavemac shed to, and QED use Shavemac knots, good to know.