Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I gave this its first run today and here are my thoughts.

First up, as soon as you put this razor to your face you KNOW it is something not to be messed with. I'm not sure if any of you saw the thread YKW a few years back where a guy made and used a 'razor' which was just a blade on a stick? Well that is how the Barbasol feels the first time it touches your face - you know that there is a blade there - it is brutally obvious!

Of course this is where angles and head geometry come in. You cannot use the Barbasol at the same angle and many other razors - it needs to be angled to give a much shallower angle between the blade and the face. in many ways it reminded me of the 2011 R41 in this respect.

It comes down to technique. How well you can control the razor, get the angles right across the various areas of your face. The razor is what the razor is - it is how well you can understand and control it that becomes the question. No pressure is important with the Barbasol as well.

The result for me first up was variable. After a two pass ( leaving the last 1/2 pass I normally do out) shave where I nailed it were BBS - but there were obviously patches were I didn't. The chin line, where I usually do another 1/2 pass L -> R and then R -> L was a little rough as I didn't do that pass and clearly didn't get the angles right across this transition point. I also got a little nick under the bottom lip when I introduced the razor to my face at the wrong angle, rookie mistake but one that can happen very easily.

Obviously it is too early to make a call but first impressions are that this is a beast to be wary of. if you can master it the results could be very, very good.

Shave Two - I have found the secret to weight loss without changing your diet or exercise.

Second day with the Barbasol. I kept everything else the same and focussed on my technique. The touch was gentle, no pressure. The strokes smooth and long and overall a better outcome.

Still only two passes but the chin pass was not needed, it was dealt with already as I really got that section nailed. A couple of little weepers but nothing much of note.

Weight loss secret? Shave yourself with this all over every day. You will remove a microscopic layer of skin and after a year I'm sure you will be a shadow of your former self ....

Seriously, my skin, particularly on the neck, feels used and abused. I did check I hadn't slipped in a paint scraper blade by mistake overnight - I hadn't.

So overall a REALLY smooth shave but at a price. I'm curious to see what tomorrow brings.

Shave Three - Some shaves are enjoyed, some are endured.

As I stepped out of the shower this morning and contemplated the shave ahead I considered it was going to be a shave to be endured, not enjoyed. The irritation on my neck from yesterday had died down but I anticipated it being revisited during the shave. It was with some trepidation that I finally picked up the Barbasol and introduced it to my face.

The Barbasol is a style of razor I like. Rich, deep knurling, decent heft, a larger diameter barrel. You can see from the photo above that this is a fine example. Quite possibly replated it is a thing of beauty.

As I gently with an ever so light touch completed my first few strokes it began to feel strangely comfortable. I think I had made the adjustment and we had an understanding now the Barbasol and I. This continued for the rest of the shave. Light, gentle strokes, paying careful attention to angles and keep skin taunt. While we may have had an understanding this was not a razor that was ever tamed - it needed to be treated with respect.

I completed my full 2 1/2 pass routine for what felt like a BBS shave. I'd missed a couple of minor patches which I touched up for a great result.

Feeling rather pleased with myself I eschewed the erstwhile standard Lucky Tiger and reached for the Floid. Immediately I was shown just how close a shave I'd had - there must have been micro-cuts EVERYWHERE. Now that the initial sting has subsided my face feels smooth and tight. I going to the cricket today with a mate who I introduced to DE shaving. I can do so with the confidence that today, I've nailed it. Endured and enjoyed.

@Mark1966 finally masters the BFH!
BFH 2 vs. M1966 1 [emoji6]

Round Four - The Time Trial

Feeling rather victorious after my success yesterday I still looked at the Barbasol with respect as I entered the bathroom this morning. In the shower thought I had my inspiration for today's shave. I could do it well - could I do it F-A-S-T too. Would the Barbasol be up for the 4:30 shave pre-flight challenge. Could I count on it during those early starts, half awake until I get to the lounge and have my doppio.

Then we were off, same light touch, same grip, same no pressure - the difference was in the speed. No slow and steady, no cautious and tentative, the race was on. But we know that smooth is fast so smooth strokes was the goal, mapping the natural contours, smoothly following the lines needed, racing across the face and neck.

The result? Smooth and fast. About the regular time for a shave and certainly MUCH quicker than yesterday. Three little nicks on the way through but nothing major. Overall a good result.

Treat her with respect. Don't take her for granted. Focus on smooth and fast will come. The Barbasol while never tamed can be harnessed for good.

BFH 2 vs. M1966 2
Currently a tie. Time for a decider! [emoji4]

C'mon the Bastard From Hell!

BFH 2 vs. M1966 2
Currently a tie. Time for a decider! [emoji4]

No decider, no more comments from me.

We have an understanding now. Just a little blood each morning and a BBS result - a deal has been struck :)