birthdays and 20s t&c

pablo_h

best to start this elsewhere, as I pointed out before, members birthdays are only listed for people not logged in.
Also a 20s timer for people to agree about posting rules (when they can't post anyway) before they even view the forum is a bit absurd.

I know the whole point was to lock the forums down tightly against spammers, many large forums have good security and many mods to keep that stuff away, any many small forums do get to be a spammers paradise, so I understand the owners intent.
But I think it's a bit ridiculous here, can't even view the forum without a 20s timer, many new members can't join and when they do, can't post.
Like I said, I understand the intent and have seen forums with a lot of spammers, but maybe relax it a little (for a start, anyone should be able to view the forum without a t&c checkbox and 20s timer), and maybe anyone joining should post unmoderated (but no links allowed). Then if it gets bad with spammers maybe go back to all new posts moderated?
I think it's hard to entice new people with the current set up.
Like I said, I have seen how bad it gets in other forums, but with a couple of mods to delete stuff, the average new member has an easier time joining and posting and most people shouldn't notice the spammers.
Yeah I'm sick of them too, self employed here, spam emails every day, auto dialers and scum of society calling my mobile every day, but i think you set the bar too high for ease of use.

Things have been relaxed in regards to the signup procedures lately. Gmail can register, as can Hotmail. Only Yahoo addresses (and mail.ru) are banned, and that is because of the amount of spam that comes out of them due to the fact their verification is broken and creating emails can be scripted.

You have raised a valid concern that guests/unregistered/not logged in users can view birthdays. I am working on that as we speak and have made changes already. I'm still testing.

Yeah, I'm so close to filtering all yahoo addresses myself so I know how you feel.
I did ban them but then some good contact in the USA couldn't email me with regards to chillies :(

Okay, the birthday list in the footer comes from a Plugin. Will see what I can do with that.

We have started off with the controls tight and let one thing get looser at a time. You may not have seen too much change, but there is weekly changes to the filters and updates to Spam-O-Matic.

Nothing in vBulletin is really easy to do, the Administration back end is a shmozzle really. The permissions are just ridiculous to configure. It's always a work in progress.