Review Blackship Grooming Soaps - Davy Jones & Queen Annes

Korbz

Evening all, just thought I would throw up some thoughts on Blackship Grooming Soaps (formerly know as Beaver Woodwright). Thanks to @Mark1966 for the sample of Queen Anne's Revenge confirming what I had already thought of Kelly's soaps.

For the purposes of keeping things simple, I'll talk to packaging, ease of lather, cushion, glide, post shave feel and scent.

Summary (tldr or can't be bothered with the rest)
Top 5 performance soap for me, and scents that you could wear day in and out and not get sick of.

Packaging
Similar to Shaver Heaven tubs, wide enough to get a large brush in with plenty of room to lather up. Labels are designed to be in character (pirate) and waterproof.

Ease of lather
With a base of coconut oil and acid, and a croapy feel, it takes very little action to load the brush well. It explodes with less water than your tallow soaps, delivering a very thick quality lather.

Cushion/Glide
This is often the area where you trade off tallow vs. non-tallow. To get the cushion inherent to non-tallow soaps, you give up glide (residual slickness). Some tallow soaps do it very well, and vice verse, some non-tallow have great glide, and this happens to be one of them. Starting to think a scatter graph may be of use :) Anyways, the top soaps for glide/slickness I've found are Stirling and Labelle, which I would give 9.5 and 10/10 respectively. This would get a very respectful 8-8.5 for glide and 9.5-10 for cushion. Cushion would be similar to Catie's Bubbles or Shaver Heaven non-tallow.

Post-Shave
Kelly's added in shea butter and glycerin to the mix to help with the feel. I find that glycerin alone doesn't do a great deal, however the addition of shea butter does. MWF is probably the only 10/10 for me so far, though lots are up the top. This again would get a very respectful 8.5.

Scent (copying from website)
Queen Anne's Revenge is a bright blend of Pineapples, oakmoss, bergamont, patchouli, jasmine and vanilla.
Davey Jones this scent is a woody, amber-moss scent mixed with a spicy Bourbon and vanilla blend, the soft light scent will stay with you for hours.

Yep, had no idea what to expect from the QA. Pineapples, really? I tend to avoid fruit smells, but glad I got a sample of this one. Probably not one that I would buy, but a very pleasant scent, and not at all like I had thought. I get the oakmoss base (like Caties Bubbles LTV), with a hint of sweetness, guessing from the pineapple/vanilla and then the flowery shit. Not a single note that really stands out on either soap, but just a harmony of scents mixed together. The Davey Jones is a smidge less complex, but still blended perfectly (and possibly my favourite scent to date). Not going to try to describe it, as the description from the site does a great job.

As I said in the summary, I really enjoy using their soaps and aftershaves. It's certainly a must have in my collection, and if I ever get the chance to smell others in the range no doubt I'll be buying more. You'd do well to hoist anchor, loose the sails and set course for their waters.

Evening all, just thought I would throw up some thoughts on Blackship Grooming Soaps (formerly know as Beaver Woodwright). Thanks to @Mark1966 for the sample of Queen Anne's Revenge confirming what I had already thought of Kelly's soaps.

For the purposes of keeping things simple, I'll talk to packaging, ease of lather, cushion, glide, post shave feel and scent.

Summary (tldr or can't be bothered with the rest)
Top 5 performance soap for me, and scents that you could wear day in and out and not get sick of.

Packaging
Similar to Shaver Heaven tubs, wide enough to get a large brush in with plenty of room to lather up. Labels are designed to be in character (pirate) and waterproof.

Ease of lather
With a base of coconut oil and acid, and a croapy feel, it takes very little action to load the brush well. It explodes with less water than your tallow soaps, delivering a very thick quality lather.

Cushion/Glide
This is often the area where you trade off tallow vs. non-tallow. To get the cushion inherent to non-tallow soaps, you give up glide (residual slickness). Some tallow soaps do it very well, and vice verse, some non-tallow have great glide, and this happens to be one of them. Starting to think a scatter graph may be of use :) Anyways, the top soaps for glide/slickness I've found are Stirling and Labelle, which I would give 9.5 and 10/10 respectively. This would get a very respectful 8-8.5 for glide and 9.5-10 for cushion. Cushion would be similar to Catie's Bubbles or Shaver Heaven non-tallow.

Post-Shave
Kelly's added in shea butter and glycerin to the mix to help with the feel. I find that glycerin alone doesn't do a great deal, however the addition of shea butter does. MWF is probably the only 10/10 for me so far, though lots are up the top. This again would get a very respectful 8.5.

Scent (copying from website)
Queen Anne's Revenge is a bright blend of Pineapples, oakmoss, bergamont, patchouli, jasmine and vanilla.
Davey Jones this scent is a woody, amber-moss scent mixed with a spicy Bourbon and vanilla blend, the soft light scent will stay with you for hours.

Yep, had no idea what to expect from the QA. Pineapples, really? I tend to avoid fruit smells, but glad I got a sample of this one. Probably not one that I would buy, but a very pleasant scent, and not at all like I had thought. I get the oakmoss base (like Caties Bubbles LTV), with a hint of sweetness, guessing from the pineapple/vanilla and then the flowery shit. Not a single note that really stands out on either soap, but just a harmony of scents mixed together. The Davey Jones is a smidge less complex, but still blended perfectly (and possibly my favourite scent to date). Not going to try to describe it, as the description from the site does a great job.

As I said in the summary, I really enjoy using their soaps and aftershaves. It's certainly a must have in my collection, and if I ever get the chance to smell others in the range no doubt I'll be buying more. You'd do well to hoist anchor, loose the sails and set course for their waters.

Thanks @Korbz - great review. I certainly would not have chosen the QA from the pineapples in the description.
I must say I am confused by all the "pirate names" on these soaps - I have no idea what "Barnacle Bob" or "Scurvy Tom" are supposed to smell like. Give me an "Arctic Mango" or "Margaritas in the Arctic" any day :LOL:
But I know its the lather quality that counts...nice fragrance is a bonus.

You had me at 'scatter graphs' ;)

Great review @Korbz

Fantastic review!

I particularly liked the Cushion/Glide sector in which you delved into the differences between tallow and non-tallow soaps whilst also providing somewhat of a baseline comparison of excellent examples of slick and cushiony soaps.

I also enjoyed your closing statement. hehe :D
I have been recommended this particular brand soap (amongst others) by @SydBJW and have since added a few scents to my wishlist. :)
I must admit I do enjoy the "flowery shit" every now and then to give me that nice spring feeling :D

Great review!
I'm 8 months into this wet shaving gig and I still don't get what cushion is. As a straight user maybe I am missing something but for me there is only glide (aka slickness). I don't (think) I want the blade cushioned from my skin. It needs to be on it for a close shave, but slippery (glide) to stop the irritation. The rest (density is all I can think of) is a feel thing (I like to have high density) but maybe that is cushion? Oh an post shave feel... <shrug>

Care to describe what you mean by cushion and how you evaluate it @Korbz?

The way I grade cushion is the thickness of the lather, and the ability to absorb water without turning to mush. I love the yoghurty lather that @alfredus and @silver post in the lather shots and is what I tend to go for. What I find is the non-tallow soaps don't deliver that same consistency, they are a lot more like a meringue, yet can still deliver awesome slickness (but always seem to fall a little short).

What I can't quantify (and largely what drives good scores for me), is a soap like Jabonman or Blackship that doesn't have the same lather consistency as B&M or Stirling (tends to be a little more stiff), yet seems to deliver just as good or better result frequently.

Really well written review @Korbz , I think I am going to pick up a few of them to compliment my splashes. I find the splashes themselves excellent with a really long staying power.

Great review @Korbz. I have far too many soaps in my den and to tell you what I think of them Black Ship Grooming Company (former Beaver Woodright) would be in my top 3-4 brands for the most individual soaps per brand. It is great stuff.

I highly recommend the Ghost Ship (I know @shavetheman has sold out of this soap) and the Thomas Tew, both great scents. Although to be fair most of his scents are great.

I think the hardest part thing about these particular soaps and perhaps more than others is understanding the scent profiles and how the essence would translate to your nose.
It's a shame there are no sample packs for these soaps locally as I am sure there would be a few more buyers be it new customers or just curious Black ship grooming company users looking to branch out a little without the hassle of investing into a curiousity on a new scent for a wonderful soap. I feel like they are doing themselves a disservice.

Nonetheless I have a few of the them in mind and will no doubt be buying one on my next order from The Stray Whisker if all things go to plan.

This well written review has given me a lot to think about not only in terms of format and writing style but also the product itself.

Thanks again.

I think the hardest part thing about these particular soaps and perhaps more than others is understanding the scent profiles and how the essence would translate to your nose.
@shavetheman brought these soaps to the last Sydney Meet and it's a big enticement to attend these get-togethers. You could smell them and choose what you liked the best. I know scent isn't everything but it's good to actually smell what the description says! [emoji38]

There are plans for regular meets in different places across Sydney, surrounds and even in the outlying suburb of Sydney called Canberra. [emoji23]

I echo everyone is saying what a great review that was @Korbz [emoji106]

@shavetheman brought these soaps to the last Sydney Meet and it's a big enticement to attend these get-togethers. You could smell them and choose what you liked the best. I know scent isn't everything but it's good to actually smell what the description says!
emoji38.png

There are plans for regular meets in different places across Sydney, surrounds and even in the outlying suburb of Sydney called Canberra.
emoji23.png

I echo everyone is saying what a great review that was @Korbz
emoji106.png

I really wanted to attend that meet but due to my inability to drive, family issues and health I was unable to attend, although in retrospect it was actually not extremely far from where I live and it was also not long after my birthday too. I have always wanted to visit the mountains and I must say the location looked wonderful.

If its ever at all possible it would be nice to meet everyone some day. It's great to hear that these kinds of functions will be held more reguarly.

It would have indeed been so nice to get a better idea on a few soap scents, if I recall (from the pictures I had seen) somebody brought along a whole bunch of Barrister and Mann soaps which would have been nice to smell also. Sometimes soap scents can be so complex and also polarizing so you never know whether a soap scent will work for you or not until you do smell them.

I really wanted to attend that meet but due to my inability to drive, family issues and health I was unable to attend, although in retrospect it was actually not extremely far from where I live and it was also not long after my birthday too. I have always wanted to visit the mountains and I must say the location looked wonderful.

If its ever at all possible it would be nice to meet everyone some day. It's great to hear that these kinds of functions will be held more reguarly.

It would have indeed been so nice to get a better idea on a few soap scents, if I recall (from the pictures I had seen) somebody brought along a whole bunch of Barrister and Mann soaps which would have been nice to smell also. Sometimes soap scents can be so complex and also polarizing so you never know whether a soap scent will work for you or not until you do smell them.

There will be more meets I'm sure! We'd love to have you join in. [emoji5]