Blade bank options

Matt7777

Hi all, my feather blade bank is almost full. Show me some nice options for my next bank. No home made banks please and not able to put a "slot in the wall" type in my bathroom. And ... go!!

You can empty the blade bank using a screw driver to pop the bottom off.

I use the Rockwell blade bank and empty it once full. I package up the blades and drop them to a place that accepts used blades.

For travel, I use a tic tac box.

images

Use a tin money box that you can’t open the tin without a can opener

I have used a rinsed out small can of Coconut milk the past year and a half with no issues and it easily holds over 100 DE blades.

Tin openers aren't necessary. I just use a little plastic tarama (mullet roe) container with a slot cut in the lid. When it's full, I just empty the contents into an empty tomato or dog-food tin then hammer the opening shut and fold it over. I then just label the tin "steel sharps" and chuck it in the recycling bin at the tip. The operation takes just a few seconds, costs nothing and takes up almost no space in the bathroom.

I package up the blades and drop them to a place that accepts used blades.

I will need to dump my container in a few weeks. And I've got a couple of full ones in the back of the shaving drawer waiting to be dumped. But I've never dumped them anywhere as yet because I'm not 100% sure exactly where they should be disposed of properly.

So where do you guys dump these containers full of old blades when they are full? Is it safe to chuck them in the regular garbage bin or do they need to go to a special place?

So where do you guys dump these containers full of old blades when they are full? Is it safe to chuck them in the regular garbage bin or do they need to go to a special place?

I've looked into what to do in the ACT and read - "Metal objects do not go in your ACT recycling bin despite being recyclable".

It goes on to say - "These types of metal scraps and objects cannot be recycled at our Materials Recovery Facility in the ACT as they pose safety hazards and can damage machinery. They can be sold or given to a scrap merchant to be recycled. Avoid waste to landfill by using a scrap merchant pick up service or taking to an ACT Government Transfer Station for recovery."

The page even specifically mentions razor blades.

[Source: https://www.cityservices.act.gov.au/recyclopaedia/items/m/metal]

You might want to check out here: https://www.whichbin.sa.gov.au/ but I would think it was much the same.

Note that the Terracycle program for razors does NOT accept blades

I will need to dump my container in a few weeks. And I've got a couple of full ones in the back of the shaving drawer waiting to be dumped. But I've never dumped them anywhere as yet because I'm not 100% sure exactly where they should be disposed of properly.

Where I live, there are people that take away old appliances, metal recyclables, paper recyclables etc

They pay you according to the weight of the item.

I just had over the blades in a container and he happily accepts them.

I just put my full blade banks into the recycle bin. From what I've read, the recycling system can't take individual blades as they are too small for their sorting machines. A full blade blank is big enough to be sorted and crushed for recycling without a problem.

I used to use a proper blade bank but now just use my empty metal Blue Beard's Revenge face scrub tins.