Boar knot transplant

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Anyone got advice on safest removal of the entire steel plug boar knot?

I have this vintage handle coming...

870fe9v.jpg

...and once I measure it I intend to drop in a corresponding Semogue knot - no interest in any third party knots thank you. I will cannibalise whatever Semogue brush comes with the right size blonde knot. So the operation will demand safe and successful extraction of up to two steel plugs....though I'm kind of hoping the donor Semogue is a wooden handled one so I can simply crack the wood apart to liberate the plug and so just do the one plug extraction.

Be keen on your advice for this transplant operation.

Semogue might sell you a bare knot.
Try contacting them and see what they say.

We used to put the axe head and broken handle in a fire and burn out the broken handle. Oh wait, that might knot work.
Is that what you are supposed to do with a replacement shovel handle too?

Semogue knots are built into a cup, like the one shown in the photo. You'd have to dig the whole cup out of that handle, not just the bristle. Not sure semouge will even sell knots on their own

Some are stuck too well. I have a handle that not matter how hard I try, using every trick on the internet, I just cannot get it out. Saving the knot and destroying the handle is far easier but not what you are after....

thanks fellas. y'all are spot on - I want to save the handle of one and the knot of the other. My thinking is if I need to drill out the vintage knot I can. If I need to bust the handle of the knot donor then que sera....I think this thing can be done.

@stillshunter I would try steaming the knot out of the vintage handle. I have heard that this works for glued knots and I would assume that the silver cup is glued in to the handle so it might just work.

I would be concerned about trying that to remove the new knot from the new handle though as I am guessing that there is glue holding the boar bristles in as well. I would probably try sawing from the bottom of the handle to the base of the new knot cup (maybe even in an X formation)and then use a chisel or something to attempt to pry the handle and cup apart. You might even be able to get some solvent in the cut you have made to assist in loosening the glue that is holding the cup in but I would be careful doing that.

Forgot to suggest in my prior post, if Semogue are not interested in selling you a knot, maybe they're more comfortable with supplying and fitting it in house if you send them the handle?

@stillshunter did you re knot the brush?

Steve

Gave it a good conditioning, which loosened a couple of hairs and now I'm using it as-is. The bristles aren't as soft as a Semogue but not too different to an Omega. So I've resolved to continue using it until it tells me it needs a new knot.