Brushes

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Now I started wet shaving a couple of years ago. Did a bit of reading and decided on this brush
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160770437381

I actually liked it so much that I got another one from the store (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160953562272 ) however I feel a little bit meh about it, yet to work out how to build up lather with it properly.

Lately though I have been wondering if there are even better brushes out there And how much better? The grass is greener and all that. So, if you ever tried these how do you rank them? What would you recommend as an upgrade.

DSDF (different strokes for different folks)

It's a rabbit hole, and opinions will vary. The new synthetics are cheap and hard to beat. Boars are fun but I haven't touched mine in ages since getting a shavemac badger. I've only used a few badgers and many here are far better experienced than I, but I'd put new synths at the top for value for money. If you want the absolute best, it's badger for me and it costs :)

Short answer: yes they are.

How much and are they worth it? That is only a question you can answer for yourself.

There are a lot of PR stunts out there, where you pay for name and brand - however a good badger brush (and don't forget that includes the handle) costs money. And the larger you like/want it, the more it will be. The nicer the handle, again the more you pay.

Lately though I have been wondering if there are even better brushes out there And how much better? The grass is greener and all that. So, if you ever tried these how do you rank them? What would you recommend as an upgrade.

I'll only talk about badger brushes and from my own personal experience. (It will also be my own particular way...)

First - knots (the badger hair itself):
The makers and sellers have many different "types" of badger knots. They call them all different names - most of the time it's just marketing and creating new "grades" so that they can have a range of prices. My own personal take on it is that there are basically two factors*: 1) the hair itself, and 2) the maker of the knot.
(1) From what I can determine there really is hair from three different places of the badger and that means there are three different hair types. I'll call* them regular, softer and long & soft. The regular are good. The softer are great. The long & soft are great (but are springier).
(2) The hair is bought by a maker and made into a knot. A more selective maker will make a more selective, better quality knot. They will choose the best and most finest hairs from each grade and won't settle for anything less. They have high quality control. This factor IMO is what makes a higher quality knot, and so a higher quality badger brush (& higher price tag).

Second - the handle
Some people care a lot about this so they get custom made handles made from different materials (acrylic, metal, wood, etc) and with different colours/patterns/shapes. The ergonomics of a handle (how it feels in your hand and how it invites to be used) IMO is more important than looks. A higher quality brush maker will have put more thought and design and care into making a better quality handle (which will cost you more).

Finally, the combination of these two (the knot and the handle) can be combined to give the badger hair a different "feel"*. If the knot is put into a deeper hole in the handle, it makes the hair more concentrated and "stiffer". If the knot is shallower, the hair spreads out and is "floppier". A good quality maker takes this into account and balances it depending on the knot type, the handle and the intended final result.

So you see, IMO it is an artistic science*.
So there are some who get any hair and make any knot and put it in any brush. This will make a cheaper "any" badger brush.
Then there are those who care about the handle, but buy a pre-made knot that's good quality. This makes a good badger brush.
Then there are those who care about the whole product and choose quality for everything -from the hair to the knot to the handle to the final brush. This makes an expensive (but wonderful quality) brush.

So the answer is yes, there are better badger brushes because there are better artisans/companies with better understanding of their product and want to make something special.

The end.

*This is all created by me to explain this, so take it for what it is...

Hmm. So which makers are good and who are the or stunts.

Hmm. So which makers are good and who are the or stunts.
This is my personal experience: the only person who ties their own knots and sells it to the public (knot only) is Shavemac - and they turn their own handles and accept custom (material and shape) orders.

Simpson do not accept custom orders and in my humble opinion are expensive, but they hand tie their knots. In their high end range (Manchurian) they get good reviews. But for me due to the non-customisation and very high price point, not my first choice.

Vie-Long/Epsilon: fantastic knots at this price point and decent handles. No customisation.

Paladin turn their own handles and source their knots directly from the manufacturer in China with their own specifications. No custom options, but in this case for me not an issue: the brushes are simply magnificent. Long wait times though.

Varlet (Aldo) turn their own handle and tie their own knots. No customisation and very long waiting times. Gets great reviews though.

Nathan Clark (Envy shave) turns his own handles and makes his own resins. He also has his own knots (bought directly from China). Very nice option.

Rudy Vey turns handles and has a great link to Shavemac for knots. Fantastic option.

My current favorite for fully customizable handles: Doug Korn. Turns beautiful and impeccable handles and sets you every knot you want.

Wolf Whiskers: beautiful handles, but long waiting times and not fully customizable.

For very a economic option: Larry from Whipped Dog had some really nice knots, some solid resin handles and you can even customise the loft. Similar price point to your original brush.