Canberra

karol.elec

Hi Guys

I am going tomorrow to Canberra. First time.
With my 11y.o. daughter and wife.
What is interesting to see there? Any good eateries?
We will stay for 3 nights.
Cheers

I’m a bit late, but it depends what you are wanting to see, the touristy stuff is all pretty well known but is there anything in particular that you or your daughter are into?

Last edited:
I’m a bit late, but it depends what you are wanting to see, the touristy stuff is all pretty well known but is there anything in particular that you or your daughter are into?
We are already back😂

We have seen Arboretum, Questacon, Old and New Parliament Houses, National Library, some are near the river, went for a bush walk, and we went for snow to Corin Forest.
We ate in Dikson and in the city.

We had really nice 4 days (more like 3).
What we missed so we will not the next time?😂

It’s been a while since I went out to Stromlo (the mountain the observatory is on) we took the kids and yes the feedback was.. it’s okay.

You are right about the War memorial, it is something else, currently it’s a massive construction site though.

For me, Canberra is all about the balance it affords, being able to maintain a quasi city convenience lifestyle (and command a competitive salary as a result), good schools, sensible planning etc while still having very easy access to the multiple nature reserves and the ability to easily be alone is the selling point for me.

Below is a picture from the summit of the Mount Tennant trig point within the Rob Roy Reserve to Canberras south (excuse the shoes hehe), access to the reserve is under 10 minutes walk from my house, my kids schools are also about 10 minutes walk from my house.
Local area shopping centre is about a 15-20 minute walk at a casual pace.
yI3sA5n.jpeg

Though I try to work from home where possible, being only a 30 minute drive from the city is a blessing.

Last edited:
Driving past Lake George one day when it's full, and then driving past it when it's a cow paddock is quite amazing.

Driving past Lake George one day when it's full, and then driving past it when it's a cow paddock is quite amazing.
We had an great experience driving past the Lake George.
On the way to Canberra the water level was low and there were huge fog around. Very low visibility and misty picture.
On the way back - full sun and mirror surface with a perfect reflection of the hills and the sky.
Two completely different places 3 days apart👍🏻

It’s been a while since I went out to Stromlo (the mountain the observatory is on) we took the kids and yes the feedback was.. it’s okay.

You are right about the War memorial, it is something else, currently it’s a massive construction site though.

For me, Canberra is all about the balance it affords, being able to maintain a quasi city convenience lifestyle (and command a competitive salary as a result), good schools, sensible planning etc while still having very easy access to the multiple nature reserves and the ability to easily be alone is the selling point for me.

Below is a picture from the summit of the Mount Tennant trig point within the Rob Roy Reserve to Canberras south (excuse the shoes hehe), access to the reserve is under 10 minutes walk from my house, my kids schools are also about 10 minutes walk from my house.
Local area shopping centre is about a 15-20 minute walk at a casual pace.
yI3sA5n.jpeg

Though I try to work from home where possible, being only a 30 minute drive from the city is a blessing.
I have had similar impression being there.
The place is soo quiet and peaceful with amazing surroundings only short drive avay.
I feel I could live there.

And I see you are a bare foot enthusiast 👍🏻
I am wearing my vivo’s most of the time👍🏻

Another awesome place to visit is the War Memorial's Treloar Annex. This is where they store exhibits that they have no room for at the Memorial itself. They also do restoration on museum pieces as well.

It's only open to the public on rare occasions but if you get the chance to visit it, it's an experience you'll never forget as in some ways, it's better than the exhibits at the Memorial itself.

I have had similar impression being there.
The place is soo quiet and peaceful with amazing surroundings only short drive avay.
I feel I could live there.

And I see you are a bare foot enthusiast 👍🏻
I am wearing my vivo’s most of the time👍🏻
I love em. Great in the gym, great on the trails and you can just chuck them in the wash! That is a pretty steep hike and the grip on them is just so good.