Cheapest Razor: The $2 RiMei Razor

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
My review as per @Mark1966's generous purchase of the RiMei razor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414044787.141080.jpg

Razor Review: RiMei $2 Razor

Not sure to thank @Mark1966 for the experience or post it to him as revenge... But it definitely was something to learn from. [emoji4]

"ReMei" (a stylised 日美) can either mean "Japanese-America" or "Daily Perfection" and I'm leaning towards the second option. It may be cheap at $2.16 delivered, but it wasn't perfection.

I'm not sure the materials, but I'm guessing Chrome plated brass handle and simple pot metal (even stamped base plate as NtK pointed out). I'm not good with guessing metals. There is hefty weight in the handle, but the head is useless. Since the head is the important part of the razor I wasn't anticipating a terrific shave.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414044874.699329.jpg

As I fitted the blade (NOT the included Made in China blade!), there was quite a bit of movement in the head. You can see that the supports alongside the screw weren't brilliant in size or shape which meant a lot of movement. Even pushing the blade firmly down in the centre and adding the baseplate before screwing the handle, didn't eliminate movement. The blade gap was weird with a seemingly mild angle to the head, but a large gap to the blade. I tried to photograph it but wasn't that successful.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414044728.857185.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414044836.878929.jpg

From looking down on top there appeared to be an even blade exposure but I don't think it translated with the shave.

I used the Personna Med Prep that I used the day before in the Muhle R41. In the BloodLetter it was smooth with little skipping resulting in a close shave after 2 passes. In this razor, well, I don't think it was the blade that was the problem...

Due to the angle of the blade, it meant a higher shaving angle. Even when I found that angle it was by no means smooth. It didn't skip but cut, however after the first pass I didn't want to go for a second... (You know it's bad when you don't want to continue shaving!) It didn't cut very well, and scrapped the face for the most part. One side of the razor especially didn't seem to cut well compared to the other side. It was strange because I couldn't see any difference in exposure or razor head.

After 3 painful passes I called it quits. It wasn't BBS by any means (perhaps DFS?) and felt a bit raw to the face. Several weepers but no more than the R41 (however many more than my usual razors...) The alum didn't sting funnily enough so don't know what was the issue. (The soap was a known soap in my rotation.) Very weird as the alum screamed at me the other day post-BloodLetter shave...

I'm a bit apprehensive about giving it another go really. I think a single shave and review is worth $2 (and scars do take time to heal). It'll be interesting to hear @borked and @Nick the Knife on what they think of the razor.

I'll nickname this razor: FacePeeler. Perhaps the others can redeem its image but for me, it's a thumbs down.

Thanks for taking one for the team mate. Sure is an ugly POS and that head looks B-A-D :(

Might be a good bin filler I think ...