Chipped edge - too much for novice?

Sxot

Artisan Producer
Just after some advice...
I posted a pic in the Acquisition thread about some razors I bought. The Bengal has some chips in the edge - up to 0.25mm deep roughly.

As a complete novice when it comes to honing, do you believe it would be a bad idea to start on this blade? I'm thinking this is the case and I should get it sorted out by an expert and learn on blade that is damage free and has a bevel set?

Hones haven't even arrived yet so I can't get any greener. The plan was just to start with a blade refresh and had hoped that was all that would be required for this blade.

If you are afraid to fail, you will. You will not be a home master level 1 the moment you pick up a hone, in fact you will be the gawky little apprentice wondering why you are ruining a perfectly good blade and not even knowing why. :)

The reality is that most of us when we start this journey have no clue if a blade has problems or if we are going to create more.
If you are unprepared emotionally to screw up the razor send it out to be honed but my advice is go for it. You have to learn on something and make sure it isn't your Tanifuji for at least 3 months :)

Don't give up on razor one and think you will do better on razor 2, you won't. You have a wonderful journey in front of you and eventually you will be shaving with a razor that was rubbish that you transformed in to a shining shave ready tool.

I had a bunch of rather dismal razors to begin with. Frowns, rust, chips and problems I cannot recall. Now I'm constantly look for razors to, pardon the pun, hone my skills on.
Just remember the bevel is the basis for the edge and you need to learn what a bevel is and how to reach that point and consistently identify it. Move on too soon and all you are doing is putting a really lovely shining edge on a T##d.

My vote, you have to earn so go for it. Or find the roughest in your stash so far and learn on that.

Sounds like the blade is already buggered as it is. Why not take the opportunity to learn how to do things the right way on something that doesn't matter if you trash it.

Good points! It's not a rare specimen... I'm going for it! I watched a couple of vids on how to remove a chip so I'll go with that and see where it gets me! Thanks.

I've just received my JNat & a couple of Naguras. For bevel set and lapping I have a Chosera 1k & Atoma 400 on the way.

You've heard it here first - I'm set and now on Hone sabbatical!!!! Someone remind me if I say otherwise!

I didn't ask for details. I suppose I should for posterity. All he said was it was a "Kiita like Jnat".