Continued problems with my semogue 1305

This thread is going nowhere if you ask me.
Agreed!

Happy to have the offending article sent to me and I'l rehome it. Not for me I'm already cursed with owning a handful Smogs here, but I know a few others that might take pity on these pathetic things.

I've always had good success with my 620.

The trick is to hold the brush by the bristles in your right hand, and soak the handle for a few minutes in hot water, then load the handle Marco style and face lather. You'll get much more consistent lather this way.

Hmm, I soak the brush in the brush and the brush explodes in lather.
Putting it back together afterwards is a bit of an issue though.

Well I think I've solved the problem. I'm now an owner of an omega 10065 and a 11777, and they produced plenty of lather with minimal breaking in.
I think I understand why the Semogue was acting in that fashion though. When I took a closer look to the brush, it seemed like only the tips of the bristles seemed to be like angel hair, and as a result the brush likely had difficulties picking up enough soap. The flow through of the brush is excellent because of the knot structure, and as a result it let go of all of the little lather the brush held for the first pass, leaving what's basically soapy water remaining for the passes thereafter. Case solved?

I tried a brand new Semogue for the first time today - The 1305 is a beautiful looking brush, but its important we never judge a book by its cover. I must admit I was initially attracted to this brush because of its retro appearance (The enamel painted handle looks great). I didn't experience any major problems, apart from losing about 8 bristles, which I'm guessing should be OK for now. Its definitely a much finer bristle in comparison to the Omega's and I noticed the 1305 splayed very easily even during first use. Knowing it was a new brush, I decided to load it for about 2 minutes to ensure I'd have plenty of lather for 3 passes. There appeared to be plenty of lather on the brush after the first pass, however, the lather kind of just disappeared after the second pass and barely made it through 2.5 passes. I'm guessing since the bristles were new and therefore probably thirsty, it just absorbed the lather before I was able to use it. In fairness to the 1305, its still early days. I need to give it more time to shine before passing judgement. All I can say for now, is that the Semogue 1305 appears to be different. I'll share my thoughts again in just over a months time.

I know this might sound a bit wasteful - but since most of us have enough soaps/creams to last them for a while:

For at least one month: just palm lather the brush, wash it out (and the poor lather down the sink), and then let if fully dry (~48 hours).

Use your other brush(es) for your actual shave and don't let poor lather and a not broken in brush ruin it.

After a month the brush will be somehow broken in and the lather will be great. And it will soften up even more over another 2-3 months...

For at least one month
That's a long wait when you have a beautiful brand new brush starring at you daily. Almost feels like a crime neglecting it. That's great advise though and you are right - We should be giving ourselves every opportunity to achieve a great a shave. Thank You (y)

That's a long wait when you have a beautiful brand new brush starring at you daily. Almost feels like a crime neglecting it. That's great advise though and you are right - We should be giving ourselves every opportunity to achieve a great a shave. Thank You (y)
Nobody said breaking in a boar was fun. IMO all natural hair brushes need a couple of lathers to get to their best - but boars...just takes forever. I guess at that price point you can really complain, can you :D

Breaking in a boar is largely a myth. Omegas work from first lather after a wash. And get better the more they're used.

Breaking in, is where the tips split and soften and become a bit nicer on the face. Nothing to do with its ability to do the job. The idea of break in is a semogue issue, and why people will go through this palaver to try and make them work.

Breaking in a boar is largely a myth. Omegas work from first lather after a wash. And get better the more they're used.

Breaking in, is where the tips split and soften and become a bit nicer on the face. Nothing to do with its ability to do the job. The idea of break in is a semogue issue, and why people will go through this palaver to try and make them work.
So just to ensure I understand you correctly...
Breaking in is a myth, yet even your fabled Omega improved the more it was used?

So just to ensure I understand you correctly...
Breaking in is a myth, yet even your fabled Omega improved the more it was used?
Well he acknowledges that the Omega breaks in, just not in the fashion that the Semogue does. Right from the get go my Omega was able to generate tonnes of lather and didn't feel too scritchy either, so in the Semogue sense of breaking in, I've found it to not be a present issue for either of my two Omegas.

Sure?
Reads as a succinct fictitious story to me ;)

Just an update to this thread.

I recently went hunting for a 1305 as I love the handle and Pyrokov offered me this brush. I was hoping that I wouldn't get a dud having read this thread!

Bn09KoT.jpg

I'm happy to say that I'm very happy with the 1305. It's a little larger in loft and handle than the 620 it replaced. I've found if I use the tips to lather and load for a longer time after a good soaking I get similar results Stills was showing in his pictures.

Different blokes for different jokes! A dud brush may just be a hoax. Or something.

Anyway - glad it's worked out!