Cool find, soap dish and mug.

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
IMG_0637_zpsj8cqt4fb.jpg

Random find that I know nothing about but nice ceramic gear

VERY nice find; much nicer than run-of-the-mill accessories. Manufacturer is Monsieur Jean-Paul Giraud and Sons. A quick search resulted in the following:
Chemist and Druggist, 1889:
"The essential oils and pomades of M. Jean Giraud Fils of Grasse are not unfamiliar in the English markets or in Australasia the firm having been awarded a high distinction at last year's Melbourne Exhibition. In Paris also, M. Giraud Fils has a tasteful and rich exhibit not only of raw products but likewise of prepared toilet waters, eau de Cologne, and other put up goods, in fact, when the firm was first established some thirty two years ago, its business, we believe, was that of manufacturing perfumers, and the distilling business, which now appears to be the principal branch, was afterwards added to it. Now, the establishment at Grasse is stated to be fitted with all the newest distilling and pressing machinery, and with a freezing apparatus by means of which, extracts by subjecting them to a very low temperature, are freed from any adhering fatty parts, which would render them cloudy in a cold climate. The distillation of scented woods, and the preparation of sachet powders also fall within the scope of M. Giraud's business, and we understand that all the cases in which his goods are exported are manufactured on the premises of the firm.
END QUOTE

VERY nice find; much nicer than run-of-the-mill accessories. Manufacturer is Monsieur Jean-Paul Giraud and Sons. A quick search resulted in the following:
Chemist and Druggist, 1889:
"The essential oils and pomades of M. Jean Giraud Fils of Grasse are not unfamiliar in the English markets or in Australasia the firm having been awarded a high distinction at last year's Melbourne Exhibition. In Paris also, M. Giraud Fils has a tasteful and rich exhibit not only of raw products but likewise of prepared toilet waters, eau de Cologne, and other put up goods, in fact, when the firm was first established some thirty two years ago, its business, we believe, was that of manufacturing perfumers, and the distilling business, which now appears to be the principal branch, was afterwards added to it. Now, the establishment at Grasse is stated to be fitted with all the newest distilling and pressing machinery, and with a freezing apparatus by means of which, extracts by subjecting them to a very low temperature, are freed from any adhering fatty parts, which would render them cloudy in a cold climate. The distillation of scented woods, and the preparation of sachet powders also fall within the scope of M. Giraud's business, and we understand that all the cases in which his goods are exported are manufactured on the premises of the firm.
END QUOTE
Thanks very much for the info!
They look to be of good quality so I picked em up in a whim, not sure what I'll do with em but I'll figure something out.

I actually just piffed my old spice mug on Friday, funny how the world works huh

Nice as the "Old Spice" mugs are, I know which I'd prefer !
yeah I figured they are something that everyone should have once... I've had three but PIF them eventually.
Just need a soap to put in it.

Sensational find!

@borked as per the above post, any idea on these thingos?
I figure a public post might be good if someone comes into more in the future

Last edited:
@borked as per the above post, any idea on these thingos?
I figure a public post might be good if someone comes into more in the future
Expert I am not.
Interested to learn more myself, I am :)
Looks like a nice score with some age behind them by the looks of the protective clear coating in the condition it is.
To me at least, it adds character :)
Nice score.

I'm looking forward to trying em out. It's a good excuse to buy more MWF

Done,Two pucks ordered.
I've never had French soap befor so we shal see.
i'm not aware of anyone else in Australia that's tried it, so be interested to see if you have a similar experience as I did.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

i'm not aware of anyone else in Australia that's tried it, so be interested to see if you have a similar experience as I did.
I'm sure I will, most any tallow soap works well in my water so I'm quite fortunate really

I've tried it although my puck had dried out (which happens really easily with the useless lid so use it quickly once you've taken the wrapping off). I've put much feedback on it in various SOTD posts. I got a decent lather from it by the end when I re-hydrated it into more of a cream (must use a lot of product but it is cheap...) but the scent put me off - too strong for me and synthetic. I find a MWF puck used as a shave stick better on all fronts really but particularly post shave...

I've tried it although my puck had dried out (which happens really easily with the useless lid so use it quickly once you've taken the wrapping off). I've put much feedback on it in various SOTD posts. I got a decent lather from it by the end when I re-hydrated it into more of a cream (must use a lot of product but it is cheap...) but the scent put me off - too strong for me and synthetic. I find a MWF puck used as a shave stick better on all fronts really but particularly post shave...
Interesting. I'll be sure to post my results

This soap arrived today, I'll be testing it tomorrow :)