Custom DIY lathe levelling feet

TroyTools

So I've had this job that I've been putting off, but it's now finally come to the front of the queue. I needed to do this to improve and maintain accuracy on my old metal lathe, a 1947 Hercus 9inch Type A, made in Adelaide out of good old Aussie iron!
I've gone from four hastily installed 1/2" BSW 12 teeth per inch (TPI) threaded bolts, to now sporting much larger supporting feet with height levelling adjustments now made on 1/2 inch UNF 20 TPI. The higher teeth count makes the slightest adjustments far less aggressive than the old bolts at 12 TPI. It's probably not very interesting to anyone not mechanically minded, but for those who are, you'll know it when you see it ;)

Starting with a piece of 50mm round bar for the round feet and round adjusting nuts.
The piece of bar I used for the threaded pieces didn't get photographed, but wow, it was the crustiest, rustiest piece of shit iron bar that was so deeply rusted, the major diameter of the parts were dictated by how deep I had to cut to get beneath all the deepest rust pitting. It was a sad old piece of scrap steel bar, but inside it was beautiful still.

Hmmm, lazy bugger! Quick easy adjustable feet, the raised lettering on the head of the bolt digging in and wearing away at the concrete with vibration, changing the height levels over time which induces twist into the lathe bed and compromises accuracy.
y1dMPxx.jpg

axI3WlQ.jpg

hCyz1XK.jpg

Assembled
nKnaSD2.jpg

Side by side
WzTvXdn.jpg

Out they come
Nvo01uk.jpg

oHkLI2c.jpg

In they go
FlIr6Bv.jpg

Adjusting bars in place. Should make sense now how they work. Turn the big round nut to lift or lower the lathe while holding the bottom one still.
NWPfXyo.jpg

An Engineers level is critical in doing this job properly. I think I've got that covered. When you see it, you'll 💩🧱
GqBxyz4.jpg

As expected, the bubbles are way off, so got some work to do. Time to get this old beauty back to level. No twist in the lathe bed being the actual final goal.
Level is the repeatable datum I will use as the starting point. Other tasks are used after this one to ensure headstock and tailstock alignment etc. Let the adjusting begin.
H1l5Dys.jpg

C5t0Tgw.jpg

CxJ2rUI.jpg

DOR9VLB.jpg

These levels are sooooooo accurate with enormous resolution. Even with 20 TPI on the threads, just a one degree of turn on the bar gives measurable difference in height, and there's 4 feet that need to be adjusted in harmony with each other to get this perfect.
So after a lot of patience (interspersed with many cuss words) over a couple of hours...............
Master level OCD achieved.........:smug::smug::smug:.
Seriously though, this was a challenging little build, but it has resulted perfectly for my modest needs on my little old machine.
tS0gTv9.jpg

wUMFR3x.jpg

TnzsfFe.jpg

4fgWkI3.jpg

Back in action again, with sturdy feet and perfectly level (no twist in the lathe bed). Happy days!(y):cool::D

This old lathe is pre-metric, so I have to get better at reading imperial measurements. You know, 14 thousandths equals 5.2 metres in our metric speak. Yeah, that shit.
Lucky I've got conversion charts and programmes to convert it to aussie english for me.

Nice :love: I think I might have a case of spirit-level envy. But I think you might have been pushing your luck before with your Whitworth threads. :unsure: The good thing about machines set up with imperial measurements is you often get a much better-made tool for much less $$$. Easy enough to convert millifurlongs to mm when you need to.

Edit: you're not seriously wearing open sandals in the workshop? :facepalm: What could possibly go wrong? :banghead:

Last edited:
Nah, just for the last few photos after lunch. The work was done by then.
It was lunchtime on a hot Perth summer day in 1990 and I already had a beer in hand when some guys rocked up to deliver sheet metal for a project I was working on. Then proceeded to just lob it over the fence. Then stood there waiting for their money while my wife called my doctor to get him to stick my big toe back on. For years afterwards a huge pen and ink sketch of my toe with all its suture points used to stand out whenever the Doc opened up my medical file... :eek:

It's probably not very interesting to anyone not mechanically minded, but for those who are, you'll know it when you see it
Nice ;) and did you use the Hercus to make the new feet? A bit of self gratification for the old girl?

Oh wow, somehow I don't want to press the like button on that comment. Just wouldn't be right:inpain:
No need, it's just a bit of finger-wagging about proper footwear. I can hear my mother's voice talking to a slightly supercilious "new mum" friend of mine years ago:

"Why should I give you the benefit of MY experience? After all, I had to learn it the hard way.. :D"

I assume you realise that electrolytic reaction between those mild steel feet (which will quickly rust with no need to look at them sideways) and the concrete floor will mean you will have to periodically readjust them... :unsure: Maybe a big mild steel plate under the whole shebang might not be a bad move.

Cue more memories:
The old git who trained me as a blacksmith did his own time with what was then known as WAGR, where some of the workshops had steel floors. A common practical joke was to enlist a co-worker to hold a workpiece while he welds it up... meanwhile another colleague spot-welds the steel-capped heels of his boots to the floor while his eyes are shut to avoid damage from the arc... :LOL:

Nice ;) and did you use the Hercus to make the new feet? A bit of self gratification for the old girl?
Yep, sure did. Very simple parts to make. Lucky there was only 4. A bit repetitive I'd say. I couldn't imagine working in a factory and having to make 40 000 before moving onto the next item to make.

I assume you realise that electrolytic reaction between those mild steel feet (which will quickly rust with no need to look at them sideways) and the concrete floor will mean you will have to periodically readjust them... :unsure: Maybe a big mild steel plate under the whole shebang might not be a bad move.

Yeah I coated them well with Inox, but this machine is so oily that it weeps all the way to the feet. There are 4 different specified oils for this thing, plus some left over old diff oil I squirt on the change gears when using them ( 90w oil quietens those noisy beggars in a hurry). and another oil can with left over transmission fluid for cooling/cutting duties on the HSS bit. Total of 6 oil cans, plus aerosols of various stuff, WD40 for the aluminium etc, so I think rust is gonna have a battle to get a foothold on this thing. But adjustments now are much easier than previously, thats for sure.

Thankfully my job this weekend was cutting down and poisoning a tree that's cracking a retaining wall 🤣