• Wahoo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bryton

• Other (leave a comment)

• Total voters

itsonlybarney

I'm sure that there are some of you gentle persons out there in PnC world who are MAMILs.

I have just purchased a new bicycle upgrade frorm my old flat bar road bike to a gravel bike for my clydesdale body. I have a Garmin Edge 500 and the battery is slowly dying on me. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer model (Edge 530) or moving across to the Wahoo ecosystem with a Bolt V2 or the Roam V1 (around $350-400).

I'm looking for a device to capture and record the following as a minimum:
  • HR
  • cadence
Obviously both Garmin and Wahoo service these needs. However there are a multitude of others that work as well.

So a straw poll for PnC members, for your preference or other recommendations.

Hmmm, love to help, but as an OMIBS - that is to say, old man in baggy shorts, the kind with the padded bum (though I don't need the latter so much now my Brooks B17 saddle is broken in) I'm more in the "zone out and sniff the roadkill" brigade... :rolleyes: :LOL:

I spent more on the bike rack I use to carry my steed up and down my driveway. Steep gravel is lethal for accident-prone cyclists...

DGID here, so no help

(Distinguished Gentlemen in Denial)

Sorry, can't help you with this one. if it doesn't have a motor, it's not worth driving / riding.

Not a bike expert here either, but my recommendation would be to go with a company, that is dedicated to bike computers...

In my world (diving) Garmin makes a lot of noise, how great their computer is for diving (and everything else), but IMHO nothing beats a Shearwater (Canadian company, that does nothing else but dive computers). Surely there must be the Shearwater equivalent for bikes...

Not a bike expert here either, but my recommendation would be to go with a company, that is dedicated to bike computers...

In my world (diving) Garmin makes a lot of noise, how great their computer is for diving (and everything else), but IMHO nothing beats a Shearwater (Canadian company, that does nothing else but dive computers). Surely there must be the Shearwater equivalent for bikes...
Dive computers? Far out. When I started diving, we had clocks. That ticked. We wore them on our wrists. No pendulums or cuckoos though...

So you missed the sundial era then?
Yeah, it sort of passed me by. Underwater visibility wasn't always that great back where I come from, so the chunky mechanical devices were a big help. As @Nanook says, there was always someone who would make a complete and utter tosser of himself showing them off, but fortunately I can say I was not among their number. I just don't really like wearing watches, and I'm quite happy that our phones have made them redundant.

I'm not really sure that exists, but I do know Garmin makes waves. But each of the different manufacturers have their various strengths and weaknesses.

I did a bit of hunting myself. I was hoping Choice might offer some insights, but nope. Google does of course, with bells on. A friend swears by his Garmin 530 but says he really wants the 1030. $600 is a lot of money though, and he hasn't managed to put a good case to the Chancellor of the Exchequer yet. If I were in the market, I would probably give some consideration to the Lezyne Mega XL, a popular cheapie at $200.

I did a bit of hunting myself. I was hoping Choice might offer some insights, but nope. Google does of course, with bells on. A friend swears by his Garmin 530 but says he really wants the 1030. $600 is a lot of money though, and he hasn't managed to put a good case to the Chancellor of the Exchequer yet. If I were in the market, I would probably give some consideration to the Lezyne Mega XL, a popular cheapie at $200
My CFO won't mind what I do, as long it makes me happy, but I also know I don't want to spend over the top money either. Might wait to see if there is a Wahoo sale and go with the Bolt since it has a decent name