Do you find some soaps/creams better for "safety" razor shaving than straight razor shaving (and vice versa)

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I very rarely risk shaving with a "safety" razor, almost exclusively shaving with a straight razor. What I have found though is that straight razor shaving requires a different type of lather compared to what I require with "safety" razor shaving.

For straight razor shaving, I require a slicker, wetter and thinner lather whereas "safety" razor shaving requires a thicker (by volume), drier lather but still with a reasonable amount of slickness, although not as must as required for straight razor shaving. Lather wetness is relatively easy to adjust. The thickness and slickness is far more dependent on the soap/cream.

I have found that there are some soaps and creams that are more suited for me in straight razor shaving and others more suited to "safety" razor shaving.

Have you experienced similar results?

Reactions: Hos
For soaps that don't seem to have the slickness that you prefer for SR shaving, maybe try a preshave soap underneath.

For example, a Phoenix or RazoRock Cube rubbed on the face prior to applying your shave soap provides extra slickness for a SR. Yet, when using a Safety Razor, I find it clogs the head so bad, I have to keep removing the blade to clean it.

I don't know if I agree 100% with the comparison. Safety razors are possibly more forgiving if the lather is not as slick.
A bad lather will provide a bad experience regardless of razor type and both benefit from a slick, wet and thick lather.
For straight razor shaving, I require a slicker, wetter and thinner lather
Do you find a thick lather spoils a straight shave?

The thickness and slickness is far more dependent on the soap/cream.
Brush has a lot to do with thickness and slickness. I can use the same soap with different brushes and go from one end of the spectrum to the other.
A good brush will give slickness and thickness.
A dry lather is a bad lather

Last edited:
I do find that , for me, a safety razor shave is more forgiving when it comes to the choice of soap; when I shave with straights I usually reach for one of the select few soaps. For me the difference is mostly the slickness, rather than any other qualities. I do like a thick lather whether I'm shaving with a straight or a safety razor.

I hadn’t found that. I have found a feather in a fat boy to be a little much but not in a tech. That being said I usually reach for a tallow soap when try a new straight razor.

Reactions: Hos
I think an overly thick lather just means unnecessary rinsing of the razor. It's only the fraction of a millimetre of soap on your skin that does the real work, regardless of whether you shave with a straight or a safety razor. This might account for my newfound preference for milled soaps, as I suspect all the butters and whatnot that go into most artisan soaps just get in the way.

I think an overly thick lather just means unnecessary rinsing of the razor. It's only the fraction of a millimetre of soap on your skin that does the real work, regardless of whether you shave with a straight or a safety razor. This might account for my newfound preference for milled soaps, as I suspect all the butters and whatnot that go into most artisan soaps just get in the way.
Stone the unbeliever.

I don't know if I agree 100% with the comparison. Safety razors are possibly more forgiving if the lather is not as slick.
A bad lather will provide a bad experience regardless of razor type and both benefit from a slick, wet and thick lather.

Do you find a thick lather spoils a straight shave?

Brush has a lot to do with thickness and slickness. I can use the same soap with different brushes and go from one end of the spectrum to the other.
A good brush will give slickness and thickness.
A dry lather is a bad lather
I wouldn't say that a thicker lather "spoils" my SR shave but I do find that I get a better shave feel with a less thick lather.

I also agree that a dry lather is a bad lather. It is the degree of lather wetness that I am referring to.