Review Dorco Prime Platinum

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum (7) / Personna 'Lab' Blue (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Vintage Penhaligon's English Fern
Aftershave: Myrsol Formula K

I've kept going with the Dorco Prime Platinum but felt it was time for a change today. Sure enough after one pass I swapped to a Personna and could tell the difference a new blade makes. Still 5-6 decent shaves out of the Dorco is pretty good.

Updated ratings below:

Value (y)(y)(y)(y)

Packaging (y)(y)(y)

Smoothness (y)(y)(y)(y)

Sharpness (y)(y)(y)

Longevity (y)(y)(y)(y)

Overall (y)(y)(y)(y)

Was tossing up between three and four overall and have modified it up to a four.

Again, certainly a worthy middle of the road blade, give them a go!

Evening gents,

Review of blade 2 completed. For round 2 I used the iKon #102 slant, which I find can use even the dullest of blades with efficiency.

Summary - Largely unchanged from my initial thoughts in the 34c. Very smooth blade, with said smoothness coming at the expense of some sharpness.

Experience - First shave was very impressive. BBS and irritation free. Second, I think I may have gotten too cocksure, and didn't show the appropriate respect for the efficient razor, resulting in a few nicks. Third/Fourth, back to smooth and steady with good results.

I had good experiences with both the 34c and the #102 using this blade. It is very smooth and would happily recommend to people to give it a go.

I'll only mark ratings which would change based on razor (value, aesthetics etc. unchanged)
Smoothness (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
An efficient razor highlighted the smooth qualities of the blade. Don't get complacent and think that means it won't bite.
Sharpness (y)(y)
A more efficient razor will reduce the amount you notice the sharpness (or lack there of). Think it would suit an open comb as well as slants.
Longevity (y)(y)(y)
Gave it another shave and found that at the end of the fourth shave it lost the edge I look for. Might have gotten a fifth, but at 4-5c per shave do I care to push it?
Overall (y)(y)(y):whistle:
Torn between 3 and 4 thumbs up for overall, so will add a half. I wouldn't put it at 4 with some others like Voskhod/Rapira Platinum Lux/GSB and 5 is my Permasharp (value might push voskhod into a 5 rating). Certainly worth a spin in your daily driver!

You can't do a half - get too many splinters!

Tried the blade in a far more efficient razor and the results were better.
Value: (y)(y)(y)
Packaging: (y)(y)
Smoothness: (y)(y)(y)
Sharpness: (y)(y)
Longevity: (y)(y)(y)
Overall: (y)(y)(y)
This is a good middle of the road blade but not in a mild razor and not if you prefer a sharp blade. Good learning experience.

Coming in late to this, but @Lifes a Peach very kindly sent me some of these blades in a newbie sampler.

First shave using my EJ DE86, Proraso and the Dorco blade was...unpleasant. Lots of tiny nicks, really had to work at the shave, lots of cleanup. Post-shave lots of stinging and quite uncomfortable for a while. The actual shave result was OK in the end. The journey to get there was not enjoyable.

Second shave was slightly better, only a couple of tiny nicks, still a bit of effort to get an OK shave. Post-shave not as bad, certainly much better than the first round.

Last night was round three. I have to admit I considered ditching the blade, but in the interest of science pushed on.
I don't know what magic happened here, but this was like a different blade!
First pass was really good, very close and smooth. No nicks! (My face was so grateful). Second and third pass really good, minor cleanup of the trouble spots and a DFS.
Post-shave no dramas.

I don't have sufficient experience to really rate this blade, but it is intriguing. The Dorco has somehow mellowed and morphed into a kinder blade - similar to @Volare it seems that the blade has some sort of a "running-in" period of a couple of shaves before it becomes "tuned in". Perhaps it's not ideally suited to the mild razor? I don't know.

I'll push on with this a bit further and see how it plays in the next shave or two.

Shave #4 was pretty much the same as #3.
Shave #5 the magic ran out and the performance dropped off noticeably. Not as close or smooth, and the end result was good enough, but not outstanding.

I'll come back to this blade again. If I can get the first two shaves under control, it would be a decent blade for 4-5 shaves.

Razor: Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Dorco Prime (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau - Spitfire
Aftershave: Soap Commander Courage Balm

Will not say too much about the blade as I've also changed razor and soap and aftershave - so everything bar the brush is different to normal.

First time on the second attempt a little tuggy actually - but I suspect that will settle down on next shave (?)

Razor: Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Dorco Prime (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria - Cognac and Cuban Cigars Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Barberry Coast Shaving Co - Havana Balm

Review of the second blade completed. The first blade I used in the Weber and this time in a vintage Fatboy.

Summary - Largely unchanged from my initial thoughts. First shave not great (this seems common, could be technique adjustment needed?) but improves for the second onwards, although this time 5 is enough. A smooth blade, for shaves 2-4 at least, but may not be the 'sharpest' which is OK by me. Decent middle of the road blade.

Ratings for this second blade below:

Value (y)(y)(y)(y) - still decent VFM at price point

Packaging (y)(y)(y) - yeah, it is packaging!

Smoothness (y)(y)(y)(y) - above average for that 2-4 shave range

Sharpness (y)(y)(y) - average

Longevity (y)(y)(y) - down a notch this time - 5 shaves was enough, could not get to 7 like last time

Overall (y)(y)(y)(y) - really a 3 1/2 but don't like sitting on the fence

Thanks AGAIN to @Lifes a Peach and @King of Authentic Shave for organising this :)