Duke 2 Best - where to from here?

So after my WW failure... I wanted to bring this thread back.

Update: I now have, and really enjoy the Chubb2 Best (27x50). Unfortunately my Duke2 (22x41) is away for warranty replacement so I cannot compare them back to back. Both brushes are great, I get better flow-through from the Chubby - which makes no sense to me, but I feel maybe has just a tad too much backbone... prefer the Duke in that regard. That and I have a really floppy vintage Simpson that I enjoy the softness off - just needs more care in use. So maybe I don't need so much backbone.

Now Bernard recommended a Silvertip D01 in size 22 mm with loft of 48 mm. Definitely want a larger knot, but not as big as the Chubby, so 25mm, but to keep the backbone of the Duke (22x41) bump the loft up a little to maybe 52? The other alternative is to drop back to the silvertip (non D01) which should have less backbone. I'd really love a 2band due to the look but that's more backbone again so no.

Brush aficionados, what do you think.

54mm loft on a 25mm D01 knot I'd recommend based on research...

Are you talking 2-band D01 or silvertip 2-band... I've not used a chubby so would leave that open to more experienced members, however find it hard to believe that a silvertip 2-band shavemac at a 2:1 ratio would have more backbone than a chubby. My 25mm 2-band set at 50mm loft is a great blend...

@Korbz , I think maybe you are right to bump the loft up, especially since I have selected the 2-band, so the extra loft will counteract the stiffer hairs, but those hairs should give better flow through? Just not 100% sure about the 2 band. D01 3 band maybe a better choice since I am reading the 2band can have scritch and I don't want that.

Here is where I am at;
Knot Shape: Fan Shape
Quality and Size: 25 mm Silvertip 2-Band
Hair length ( Loft): 54 mm

From the little that I know, and would certainly use Bernd's advice more than anyone

• for Silvertip 2 band fan I'd stay at 1.9:1 to 2:1 ratio loft to knot
  • Add 2mm to loft if you're going bulb (which it looks like you aren't)
  • 3-band D01 2.2:1 loft to knot ratio
  • 2-band D01 - I have no idea :)
54mm loft with a 25mm silvertip 2-band may be a little floppy (I wouldn't push past 52mm for fan)

OK first things first:
don't get a DO1 2-band - but you knew that already...

@Korbz recommendations are pretty much spot on. They are for the face latherer who wants to feel the brush.

But are we talking diameter measurements from Shavemac or how they will turn up?

If you order a 24mm knot from Bernd, it will be 25mm out of the handle (his measurements are at the plug)
25mm order will be 26mm
26mm order will be almost 28mm
28mm order will be 30mm

So Bernds recommendation for a D01 Silvertip is spot on. The knot would be 23mm out of the handle - so 1:2 + 2mm = 48mm

A Shavemac 2-band Silvertip is:
less dense than your Chubby
has way softer tips than your Chubby
has more spring to the hair - that gives you the extra backbone - it is super luxurious on the face, and you just feel the whole brush - yet if can pick up soap very easily

So the backbone is not due to the density, but due to the spring in the hair

My 2-band Silvertip was an 28mm knot order and is now 30mm out of the handle with a 54mm loft. There days, when I think I should have gone with a 52mm loft - but then I use the brush and am just glad it is as luxurious as it is :D

If you like the density of your Chubby - go D01 Silvertip, if you prefer the density of the Duke go 2-band silvertip

But to make your decision even harder: you could order a more dense Silvertip 2-band knot...

In any case: Bernds recommendation are the best and most accurate. Remember we all can only talk about limited experience, our own likings and what we have researched.

He has handled 1000's of his knots - and he just wants to make you happy and not convince you to like something.

And any of the 2 hair you order will be a huge improvement to the Simpson Best. Remember Shavemac Finest is already better than Simpson Best - you are going ~3 grades up here...

The only problem I see: whichever one you get, a couple months down the line you will want to order the other one as well :D :D :D

OK first things first:
don't get a DO1 2-band - but you knew that already...

@Korbz recommendations are pretty much spot on. They are for the face latherer who wants to feel the brush.

But are we talking diameter measurements from Shavemac or how they will turn up?

If you order a 24mm knot from Bernd, it will be 25mm out of the handle (his measurements are at the plug)
25mm order will be 26mm
26mm order will be almost 28mm
28mm order will be 30mm

So Bernds recommendation for a D01 Silvertip is spot on. The knot would be 23mm out of the handle - so 1:2 + 2mm = 48mm

A Shavemac 2-band Silvertip is:
less dense than your Chubby
has way softer tips than your Chubby
has more spring to the hair - that gives you the extra backbone - it is super luxurious on the face, and you just feel the whole brush - yet if can pick up soap very easily

So the backbone is not due to the density, but due to the spring in the hair

My 2-band Silvertip was an 28mm knot order and is now 30mm out of the handle with a 54mm loft. There days, when I think I should have gone with a 52mm loft - but then I use the brush and am just glad it is as luxurious as it is :D

If you like the density of your Chubby - go D01 Silvertip, if you prefer the density of the Duke go 2-band silvertip

But to make your decision even harder: you could order a more dense Silvertip 2-band knot...

In any case: Bernds recommendation are the best and most accurate. Remember we all can only talk about limited experience, our own likings and what we have researched.

He has handled 1000's of his knots - and he just wants to make you happy and not convince you to like something.

And any of the 2 hair you order will be a huge improvement to the Simpson Best. Remember Shavemac Finest is already better than Simpson Best - you are going ~3 grades up here...

The only problem I see: whichever one you get, a couple months down the line you will want to order the other one as well :D :D :D

Thanks for that.
Only problem I have with Bernads recommendation is size... and no, I didn't say I wanted a big brush when I asked because at the time I didn't know I wanted a bigger knot. That and I have a 22mm (Duke), and a 27mm (Chubby) so aiming in the middle. Hence my desire to upsize it.

Yep, my 25mm measures a smidge over 26mm at the exposed knot base. Certainly a consideration when you're ordering (I was thinking 24mm for my next one, so it arrives as 25mm visible).

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get and can't wait to see the photos mate :)

@Sxot why don't you get yourself a Whipped Dog silvertip because it's by far cheaper than a Simpsons and Shavemac. ask Larry tell him what you want at LarryAndro@WhippedDog.com

Website:- http://whippeddog.com/ Larry only sell a 20mm, 22mm, 24mm and 30mm knot

The default Whipped Dog silvertip 24mm knot before placing into the handle is a 24/68, and you have 3 drill hole depth option which are
1. Default loft hole depth is 10mm which make the loft set at 58mm
2. If you want a drill hole depth at 15mm which make the loft set at 53mm
3. If you want a drill hole depth at 20mm which make the loft set at 48mm

@Sxot why don't you get yourself a Whipped Dog silvertip because it's by far cheaper than a Simpsons and Shavemac. ask Larry tell him what you want at LarryAndro@WhippedDog.com

Website:- http://whippeddog.com/ Larry only sell a 20mm, 22mm, 24mm and 30mm knot

The default Whipped Dog silvertip 24mm knot before placing into the handle is a 24/68, and you have 3 drill hole depth option which are
1. Default loft hole depth is 10mm which make the loft set at 58mm
2. If you want a drill hole depth at 15mm which make the loft set at 53mm
3. If you want a drill hole depth at 20mm which make the loft set at 48mm

Because I don't believe the Whipped Dog knot is of the pedigree of Shavemac.

I envy a lot of you with your free spending ways.
I have short arms, and deep pockets as it is, but my wifes are shorter and deeper, and she is very suspicious of new items turning up these days.

Once she gets back to work (she's had 2 years off from the end of her pregnancy), I should be able to loosen the wallet somewhat.

Well, after much procrastination I have done it. There is a Shavemac on the way.
Really hope it lives up to expectation, although I suspect it will.

Congratulations!!!
So what knot did you go for? Really hope you will enjoy - but I am pretty sure you will and can't wait to see some pictures and hear your thoughts (y)

Oh, and thanks all for your advice!

@eggbert - we have "pocket money" in our budget which allows us both spend on whatever we will without scrutiny from the other, although raised eyebrows are permitted. It maybe the case that I am now in debt in this regard until the middle of December provided I don't spend another cent - which is my intention...

Oh, and thanks all for your advice!

@eggbert - we have "pocket money" in our budged which allows us both spend on whatever we will without scrutiny from the other, although raised eyebrows are permitted. It maybe the case that I am now in debt in this regard until the middle of December provided I don't spend another cent - which is my intention...

Watch THIS space.