Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK folks, off to Europe on Saturday. Not taking my laptop (wow) nor hard copy books - just my iPhone, iPad and my fancy new Canon :)

So I need some books to read on the iPad/iPhone either through the Apple ebooks or via my Kindle reader app.

Recommendations for your top three:

1 x fiction

1 x non-fiction

1 x either

On your marks,

Get set,

GO!!!!!

Fiction: I've just randomly picked up and read the night circus by Erin Morgenstern which I guess would come under the fantasy genre. Different than what I would normally choose but enjoyable.
Non fiction: What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions, Randall Munroe (xkcd creator)

For something rise how about one of Bill Brysons travel books if you haven't read them already.

Not necessarily my top three but certainly enjoyable books that should be read:

Fiction - Perfume by Süskind
Non-fiction - The Proud Highway by Thompson
Either - The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera.

Fiction: Haruki Murakami. Love all his stuff - though most things after Wind-Up Bird Chronicles are best for the head mess. Thoroughly entertaining and he makes your jet-lagged mind seem quite normal. Ghost-Written by David Mitchell is another nice brain-fuck.
Non-Fiction: Michel Onfray's The Atheist Manifesto...just kidding mate. Shit this one depends on what you're into. I recently enjoyed books by William J Lines (Aussie) and Feral by George Monbiot. Or browse some photographic masters of your favoured genre to inspire you and the Canon. For me that would be Sebastio Salgado, Trent Parke, Wim Wenders, etc., or be pre-inspired by your destination...

Last edited:
Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon and Reamde
Douglas Adams - hitchhikers trilogy (all five books)
Stephen Hawking - A brief history of time

Bonus options: Anything by Cory Doctorow, Peter F Hamilton and Iain M Banks Culture books

Yeah I know that's not three but there are too many to short list

Last edited:

Fiction:
Haruki Murakami. Love all his stuff - though most things after Wind-Up Bird Chronicles are best for the head mess. Thoroughly entertaining and he makes your jet-lagged mind seem quite normal. Ghost-Written by David Mitchell is another nice brain-fuck. Michel Onfray's The Atheist Manifesto

Non-Fiction: Shit this one depends on what you're into. I recently enjoyed books by William J Lines (Aussie) and Feral by George Monbiot. Or browse some photographic masters of your favoured genre to inspire you and the Canon. For me that would be Sebastio Salgado, Trent Parke, Wim Wenders, etc., or be pre-inspired by your destination...

FTFY :)

Thanks guys some GREAT ideas. A few I've read, a number I haven't (y)(y)(y)(y)

Can only help in the Fiction category @Mark1966 - Any book spruiking invisible sky people - the bible and koran come to mind :)

Actually GT even you might be surprised - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fiction

Although maybe you, like me, are thinking of the Bible in a theological manner, as more of an overall love story of God for His people, rather than focussing on its historical elements :)

http://biblehub.com/1_timothy/2-11.htm
After reflecting upon that, I wonder what some members partners would comment :)
Indeed, Timothy 2:11 to 2:15 inclusive would make quite a nice passage to quote :)

As for a book suggestion, if you've not read Stephen King - The Stand, why haven't you ?

Actually GT even you might be surprised - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fiction

Although maybe you, like me, are thinking of the Bible in a theological manner, as more of an overall love story of God for His people, rather than focussing on its historical elements :)

Hmmm, the old allegorical argument. Well, in that case I'd suggest God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. On the other hand, in an attempt to stay clear of theology, and, if you're looking for something seriously interesting, try Sapiens A Brief History of Human Kind by Yuval Noah Harari. I think it should be compulsory reading for anybody who can read. If you're interested in the upcoming US elections (I mean who isn't, with the jaw dropping prospect of Donald Trump/Hillary Clinton running) maybe you could try No One Left to Lie To, The Triangulations Of William Jefferson Clinton, again by Hitchens. I'm not big on fiction although I like page turners to kill the time in airports, which is the best place to find them.