Feathers

Love my feathers. I was a bit more adventurous this morning and dialed my progress out to 5 instead of my normal 1.5. I was pleasantly surprised. Fantastic shave.

My feather just raped me last night.......... And it gets suddenly worse when the blade is due for a change, but this one was only 2 shaves old.......

That just about sums up Feathers in my experience. Too sharp to actually allow a relaxed first shave, the second shave is only slightly better and then it's dead. I don't think shaving once a week helps. I get razor burn if I don't shave every four days. Mind you I can't remember the last time I donned a four day growth.

Last edited:
As someone else mentioned. I can't use the same blade more than twice. If I do I can't go ATG. Too hurty

Seems that you and gthomas both have very wiry beards which going by his latest posts means you're an old bastard too.

I decided to go all out to give the Krona a fair go after a less than rewarding experience using it with the Shark SS. Never used the feather before so I had a little trepidation.

Feather and Krona looks like a winning combo for me. I had a great shave. Smooth, no irritation and DFS in 2 passes with some touch up. The feather might have been tamed a little by using it in the Krona but I never felt like I was going to be cut and I only had one tiny weeper on my chin, that closed up with cold water, where I made a bad stroke.

I guess the longevity and $$ will be the main thing with this blade.

I will try the Krona with 7 o'clock Yellow after this one. I think it needs a sharp blade to work at it's best as it doesn't have a lot of mass @ ~ 50grams. Conversely the Shark SS worked pretty well last night loaded in the much heavier 34C.

The problem with Feathers for me isn't getting cut, it's irritation. But my technique must surely have improved since I last tried them several months ago, so it's gotta be worth another shot.

The problem with Feathers for me isn't getting cut, it's irritation. But my technique must surely have improved since I last tried them several months ago, so it's gotta be worth another shot.

That is what I thought. They irritated me like crazy!

Good luck though!

James

Yeah, I kept going back to them thinking things would be different. The bastards still lit my face up every time. I had to give mine away to keep me from my own stupidity.

Don't write poor Feathers off.

I'm a big believer in the razor/blade combo. I found throwing a Feather in my Eclipse sensational - when other blades made the experience only so-so.

Similar with other razor/blade combos I've tried. Soome work together and some don't.

Clearly you NEED more razors to play with for your Feather to have a chance to redem themselves.

..........Clearly you NEED more razors to play with for your Feather to have a chance to redem themselves.

Been dropping hints for ages. For someone who fanatically acquires brushes and seems to have a different soap and aftershave for every shave, his one razor approach is contrary.

By Christ I feel important, replying to my own post.

After a long long break, I used Feather the last two days. First in the R41. Didn't come off badly, but a couple of nicks and not an overly comfortable shave. Then yesterday, used the same blade in my R89 and it was sweetness and light. First time I successfully went ATG under the jawline. Just a small amount of alum burn, within the normal range, and a great feeling about the face afterwards.

It _was_ worth another shot.

It was a Merkur HD in which I used them months ago and didn't really get on. I lost that razor while travelling. Thanks goodness I did, because it caused my to buy the R89, which I like better. Shame I can't try the feather in the HD for auld lang syne though.

Used to be hopelessly in love with the feathers but my adorations have since switched to Personna Red blades. Just as close a shave sans, irritation or nicks for me.