First test drive - Bengal

Garry357

I was initially planning on messaging @rbscebu however I thought its best to give other people an option to comment, and any other newbie the chance to follow.

I’m 58 (today) wet shaved all my life with DE safety razors. Been head shaving for the last 15 years. Very rarely do I ever get a cut, if I do its usually a spot that have nicked.

First use - yesterday (Saturday)

The PIF Bengal Cadman looked quite intimidating, obviously a sharp edge. I watched various YouTubers on straight razor technique.

I prefer a wet lather so made a usually consistent lather from the bowl.

1st draw/pass a little apprehensive,
  • Rht hand – Rht side.
  • Draw from top to jaw line – using the toe of the blade.
  • The razor felt a little rough however this was my angle.
  • I was trying to hold the top edge close to me skin for a smooth pass.

2nd Draw/pass
  • Rht hand – Rht side.
  • Draw from middle to jaw line – using the middle of the blade.
  • Razor felt a little smoother however very different feel to a DE.

3rd draw/pass
  • Rht hand – Rht side.
  • Draw from edge to jaw line – using the middle of the blade.
  • I somehow forgot the position of the toe of the blade.
  • I had a 20mm cut from adjacent of my ear lobe on my cheek.
  • A very clean slice.
  • A lot of blood.
  • The styptic pencil would not stop the bleeding.
  • I finished with the Gillette DE
The cut was not deep, more a thin slice, but took a fair of pressure to get the blood to stop.

I am not deterred, I plan to use the straight each shave, just a couple of passes, to get a feel.

I didn’t use it this morning, the cut has healed, and didn’t open up again.

Congratulations on your birthday and SR first - you'll never forget that shave. SR shaving only gets better with each shave.

Pressure (very light), correct shave angle, concentration and skin stretching should should solve most of your problems. It might be a good idea to re-read the instructions. After about 7 daily SR shaves, you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. After about 30 daily SR shaves, you'll be wondering why you didn't start this in your teens.

Last edited:
You are a braver man than I, @Garry357! I can't imagine straight shaving my head. I enjoy straight shaves of my face, but there I have the luxury of being able to see where the blade is; doing it blind would not be something I'd attempt. And, with all the sun damage on the top of my noggin, it would be a disaster. I doff my cap top you, sir! :)

Straight Shave #2

The reason I waited for my second shave, I have recently been made redundant from my job, I had some interviews / meeting arranged and didn’t want to risk a repeat of my first attempt and turn up at an interview looking like I had met Sweeny Todd.

I read the comments and suggestions from my first shave, these are appreciated, thank you.

My 2nd Shave today.

I made my lather even wetter than I usually do, this was literally wet, I did have to reapply.

I consider this a little like golf, can’t have too many swing thoughts, so my shave thoughts.

• Blade angle - 1 spine width away. Thanks @Holiday
  • Don’t shave – remove the lather. Thanks @rbscebu

Right side.
  • Rht hand – Rht side.
  • Draw from top to jaw line – using the toe of the blade.
  • The razor felt a lot smoother., very comfortable.
  • I completed 4-5 passes.

Left side.
  • Lft hand – Lft side.
  • Very apprehensive, struggled to see the angle.
  • Aimed for the spine to be as close as possible then move out slowly.
  • Very comfortable.
  • Small short passes.
  • I completed 4 passes.
No cuts, not even the slightest little nick :)

My plan from now on, each shave I will use the straight, changing hands.

As I gain confidence, I will move to other areas.

I shaved just to the side of my lip. I shave above my cheekbone as I naturally have a high beard line, I stayed away from the cheekbone with the straight.

I reapplied the lather and finished with the DE.

A very enjoyable experience.

Congrats on a successful second shave!!!! The only suggestion I could make would be to not be dcared of using the whole lenght of the edge. I do know many SR shavers only use the toe, heck, barbers used to, back in the day; once you've seen enough garage sells razors, you get to recognise them, pretty much the original width of the blade near the stabilizer/s, or the heel, only to progressively decrease in width towards the toe, because that's how they'd hone them, or have them honed.

Such a waste of real estate, if you ask me!

Congrats on a successful second shave!!!! The only suggestion I could make would be to not be dcared of using the whole lenght of the edge. I do know many SR shavers only use the toe, heck, barbers used to, back in the day; once you've seen enough garage sells razors, you get to recognise them, pretty much the original width of the blade near the stabilizer/s, or the heel, only to progressively decrease in width towards the toe, because that's how they'd hone them, or have them honed.

Such a waste of real estate, if you ask me!
I get to shave with my Bengall shorty again on Sunday 😁.

My 2nd Shave today.

I made my lather even wetter than I usually do, this was literally wet, I did have to reapply.

I consider this a little like golf, can’t have too many swing thoughts, so my shave thoughts.
Congratulations on a nick free 2nd shave. Lesson well learnt from shave 1 ;)
TBH focusing on not cutting yourself is all you have to worry about until the confidence improves and experience accumulates.