FYI - Carrying razors in carry-on luggage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I wrote to the Office of Transport Security and they confirmed that the Legislation states safety razors can be carried in the cabin without any blades.

They stated that final discretion lies with the screening officer and best to email the airport from where you will be departing.

So I wrote to Sydney airport and received the following response:

"Thank you for your email regarding carrying razors through Sydney Airport.

Further to your enquiries made with the Office of Transport Security, razors which are presented at screening points without blades are not considered as prohibited items at Sydney Airport and so you will be permitted to travel with them in your carry-on luggage on your upcoming flight.

We thank you for contacting Sydney Airport and hope we have assisted you with your enquiry.

Regards,

Alan

Your Customer Experience Team
Sydney Airport
www.sydneyairport.com.au"

I will carry both emails with me in case there are any issues at the screening point, however I don't think there should be any issue. This is so important given I will now be able to carry all my DE razors with me when I move to India.

Thing I learned with items that may be boarder line or unusual; get them out and put them on a tray loose. They can see you are not trying to hide anything and will appreciate not having to go through your luggage to get at them. That puts them in a good mood and more likely to make a decision in your favour.

Thing I learned with items that may be boarder line or unusual; get them out and put them on a tray loose. They can see you are not trying to hide anything and will appreciate not having to go through your luggage to get at them. That puts them in a good mood and more likely to make a decision in your favour.

Good advice this ! (y)(y)(y)(y)

I always do this when carrying DEs - which I have done a bit to show my collection to people or sell stuff.

Another tip if it is valuable is to show the person BEFORE the screening - because you can handle the item. AFTER the screening I've been told I cannot touch the item only staff can until they ensure it is safe.

When the item was a bottom dial toggle this provoked a little discussion and the tray was taken back OUT when I said that if they damaged it I would being going them for the $1500 value of it :)

Are you migrating with carry-on luggage only?

Fair play to you if that's the case!

hehe

Nah, since DE razors are small and relatively light, I don't want to put them in checked baggage. I feel better knowing I have them with me at all times.

I can't do that with other stuff as it's just too heavy (like 20Kg worth of soaps and blades).

I'll also carry about 4 brushes with me, which are very precious to me (e.g. Semogue LE Cerda boar).

Remining carry on will be laptop/tablet etc.

Good tip! I'll put the razors out with my phone on the tray.

Good advice this ! (y)(y)(y)(y)

I always do this when carrying DEs - which I have done a bit to show my collection to people or sell stuff.

For a second that read as though your showing you collection to screening security and selling them stuff to boot.
"Yes that's real butterscotch, I know the lines full of late angry passengers but check out this fatboy, now what year were you born?"

On the rare occasion that I fly here I only take an old razor that I'm willing to lose (like my extra tech or super speed) because the TSA is very inconsistent and in what they allow. I can envision some newbie agent taking my prized 195 because they've never seen a razor with a number dial or because it just looks menacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.