G'day everyone

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
G'day guys, just wanted to introduce myself as the latest convert from Melbourne. After checking out the classic shaving thread on Whirlpool I convinced myself to give it to go, and thanks to some good info from a few people (thanks very much to Drubbing!) I ordered a Merkur 34C and a sample pack of blades.

I'm gunna pinch my old man's proraso green and boar brush when he gets home from work to have a crack, Mensbiz was tremendously quick with the postage.

I'll report in with my results in a few hours.

Top work. Let us know how it goes. Get that lather yoghurty and creamy and you should be fine. Always help here if you ended up calling an ambulance...

G'day mate. welcome on board!

Welcome!

Check out the PIF section too. There might just be something there for you ;)

Howdy folks, thanks for the kindness. Being a slacker uni student does have it's perks, and one of them is that you can kick around at home and have a leisurely shave in the middle of the day! Very happy to report a successful first shave, and I'm amazed by two things.

Firstly, I didn't cut myself which was a surprise. Feeling a bit raw especially around the neck, but the experience was much less harsh on my skin that I expected.

Secondly, this is damn smooth! With the exception of right under the jaw line, it's smooth enough to drag a cotton ball over without catching. I hope this is a pretty typical shave and I haven't just fluked it, because I am not going back to my Mach 3 POS.

My lather is a problem though, it seemed to dry quite quickly on my face. Seems to be a very fine line between too watery and not wet enough, but it could be that I just suck at whipping it up. I'm switching over from using gel, so I expect I'll improve with time.

I just started with the Merkur blade, and I found it pretty good. Seems quite forgiving and not especially sharp so it was probably a good choice to begin with. Wouldn't mind trialing something else next time, what do you guys think about the Personna Red blade?

Next mission...after shave!

Who can tell me what a PIF is too?

Howdy folks, thanks for the kindness. Being a slacker uni student does have it's perks, and one of them is that you can kick around at home and have a leisurely shave in the middle of the day! Very happy to report a successful first shave, and I'm amazed by two things.

Firstly, I didn't cut myself which was a surprise. Feeling a bit raw especially around the neck, but the experience was much less harsh on my skin that I expected.

Secondly, this is damn smooth! With the exception of right under the jaw line, it's smooth enough to drag a cotton ball over without catching. I hope this is a pretty typical shave and I haven't just fluked it, because I am not going back to my Mach 3 POS.

My lather is a problem though, it seemed to dry quite quickly on my face. Seems to be a very fine line between too watery and not wet enough, but it could be that I just suck at whipping it up. I'm switching over from using gel, so I expect I'll improve with time.

I just started with the Merkur blade, and I found it pretty good. Seems quite forgiving and not especially sharp so it was probably a good choice to begin with. Wouldn't mind trialing something else next time, what do you guys think about the Personna Red blade?

Next mission...after shave!

Who can tell me what a PIF is too?

A PIF is a Pay It Forward. From what I gather, it essentially ends up being a way for people who are suffering from razor/blade collecting addictions to claw back some ground by giving some things away. That's my take anyway! :laugh:

Here's some shameless self promotion to get you started:

http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/f52/mr626s-continuous-pif-thread-530/

Cool man, I'll check it out. Thanks. :)

So, there's one disappointing thing about this DE thing. My beard grows damn slow anyway, and it just isn't growing back. I'm keen as bloody mustard to have another crack, but at this rate, I'll have to wait a whole week!

Does anyone know at what point my posts will stop needing moderation? It's kind of a pain in the ass not knowing if it'll show up before someone posts and the discussion moves on, but I assume there's a post limit or something?

Ah cool. Sounds good then, I guess I'll just start posting around and it won't be long.