Greetings from Brisbane!

Scotty

2018 Sabbatical
Hi guys, another noob here :)

Been using a double edge for about 3 months now and really do look forward to my next shave these days.... spent a lot more than I've saved so far, obviously can't seem to control my inner magpie!!!

Stumbled across this forum a few months back and have enjoyed my time browsing and learning.... a great wealth of info and knowledge which one day I hope to add to.

Shave of the day has to be my favorite thread, great to see the wide variety of software and hardware people are using.

I'm currently rocking with a merkur 34C, a DE89 (on satin handle from shaving.ie), Henry Cavendish Himalaya soap, Old Spice cream, $6 silvertip from eBay and Astra platinum blades.

In the mail: Drogon Noir, a leather haryali travel case, a few knots from Virginiasheng on eBay and a couple olivewood handles to stick them in..... seriously thinking about a Rockwell 6S too :)

TBH, the Rockwell is already in the cart.... trying to find a good reason not to hit the PayPal button!

Cheers, Scotty....

G'day @Scotty,

Welcome to the P&C the Wet Shaving Australian Fan Club, and please don't forget to tryout the Shaver Heaven Shaving Soap because these are 100% Aussie made soaps by @Anthony see web link and help support our locals (y) Fantastic price must cheaper than oversea made shaving soaps and this will save you lots of money in the long term future.

Shaver Heaven: http://shaverheaven.com.au/

Cheers(y);)

Edit:- With your new avatar try and keep your lips too yourself :p:D

Last edited:
Welcome mate... Nice to have another Brisbanite on the forums :)

I'm sure you'll love the Drogon Noir when it arrives. It won't do anything to help your acquisition disorder though! Have you started to experiment with different blades or brushes much yet?

Welcome mate... Nice to have another Brisbanite on the forums :)

I'm sure you'll love the Drogon Noir when it arrives. It won't do anything to help your acquisition disorder though! Have you started to experiment with different blades or brushes much yet?

Thanks Korbz :)

Brisbane....home of the sweaty shave the last few weeks!

Looking forwards to the new soap arriving mate, the Himalaya stuff is OK but nothing to compare it to other than the Old Spice cream and half a can of chemical infused foam. Ordered the Drogon Noir last week once I'd noticed it was back on sale so jumped in quick instead of dithering and missing out :)

My $6 ebay brush has served me well over the last few months, lathers up well with soap and cream and has managed to keep most of its hair.... It served its initial purpose though so stepping it up with a diy option - will see how the eBay knots go and if they flop will purchase a whipped dog high mountain.....

Blades.... Wow.... I didn't realize how many different blades there were until coming here. I've got about another 20 Astra's to get through so plenty time to research and narrow down a few options.

Welcome @Scotty - I think you are going to love it here - many AD's to come :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Welcome mate.

It's worth experimenting with different blades. Everyone's face is different.

Happy PIF you a selection from my stash. Once you get PM privileges, send me your address.

Welcome Scotty - some interesting stuff there already!

From one Scott to another; Welcome!
I see you are inflicted with 'mustbuyititus' which I have found is very hard to cure (note the number of Sabbatical Fail Banners) but I am working on it! (Says he who just bought a straight & strop!)

Blades.... Wow.... I didn't realize how many different blades there were until coming here. I've got about another 20 Astra's to get through so plenty time to research and narrow down a few options.

Blades can only be researched via trail and error. It's the only way to find out works in your razors on your face.
@Lifes a Peach can send you out a sample pack from the P&C blade bank should you wish. There are also trial packs available from various places.

G'day @Scotty and welcome to posting on P&C. It's great having more from up north join in the fray.

What are you using for post-shave at the moment? (Balm? Splash?)

@SpeedyPC @Korbz @Dale.Whiley @alfredus @MrT @Mark1966 @bald as @Sxot @filobiblic @Lifes a Peach

Thankyou so much for the warm welcome everybody, my tablet was going off it's dinger tonight with all the notifications :)

... and also many thanks for the advice and offers with brushes, blades and soaps ~ I'll take all the advice I can get from seasoned veterans!

@Dale.Whiley : It would be good for a meetup! I'll have to hold off making any firm dates at the moment though, there's a 50/50 chance I'll be down in Sydney for most or possibly only part of next week :(

@filobiblic : haha, post-shave was about the only thing I didn't mention!

I'm a bit unsophisticated and old school when it comes to aftershaves... enjoy a good splash of Brut, Old Spice and Tabac and sometimes the odd bit of lavender toilet paper when I've cut myself!

Not really made the transition to balms.... have seen them sneaking onto the shelves in the shops over the past few years so might investigate a bit closer :)

I'm a bit unsophisticated and old school when it comes to aftershaves... enjoy a good splash of Brut, Old Spice and Tabac and sometimes the odd bit of lavender toilet paper when I've cut myself!
That's not unsophisticated, just a very wise & obviously classic choice. A man with OBVIOUS CLASS who appreciates the tested & time honoured traditions.

G'Day Scotty and welcome to the insanity.
When you are ready for the move to cut-throat shaving, give me a yell and I can help you through the maze of stuff to be had.
Until then, hang on and enjoy the ride

When you are ready for the move to cut-throat shaving, give me a yell and I can help you through the maze of stuff to be had.

Thanks mate, there's a guy in my office decided to splash out over the Xmas holidays and spend a few hundred dollars on a cut-throat after using a shavette for the last year.... the troubles he's had since purchase are a constant source of discussion (honing to a good edge is the main issue).

I'll be giving it a go in the near future, going to get myself settled with my perfect DE setup first before diversifying.... then at least I have a fall back during the learning process :)

There's a couple of blokes (in a FB group) in the greater Brisbane area who do a lot of restorations and honing. When I take the plunge this year, I will be contacting Mark here for a chat about buying one, and get advice from locals about the day to day stuff (I find it easier in person).