Guys...I'm visiting Aussie this year...(eeek, help!).

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
OK all you lovely Aussies.
Missus wants to visit this year for our 50th Wedding Anniversary (go figure!).
Wants list:
Coolangatta for a couple of days (just 'cos our Daughter and family are just back from there and they had a great time...but we are in our 70's so I'm fairly sure the water park is not our thing).
Hire a car for a wee drive round, maybe Byron Bay for a visit...and 'what else'? Wildlife park?
Fly down to Melbourne for a few days, then drive to Adelaide (the Great Southern Road thing of course).
Few days in Adelaide then drive to Coober Pedy (stop 1/2 way maybe Port Arthur...maybe?).
Couple of days in Coober Pedy, then drive back to Adelaide with a 1/2 way stop 'somewhere' again.
Few more days in Adelaide, fly (or drive) back to Melbourne for another dose of mall hopping (or shopping), then fly home to NZ.
Figuring maybe 2 weeks in all. Play it as it comes really.
So...ideas, options, thoughts, etc please.
Thanks guys. Your input much appreciated.

Interesting how Coober Pedy fascinates some people. I was happy to just leave there quite quickly when we were there last December. I enjoyed Alice Springs though. One way or another, that's a fairly serious amount of time you'll be spending behind the wheel.

Yep, but then I did drive 750km per day with the tanker trailer unit.
400 - 500 km in a day is fine. Probably hire something comfortable to drive though.
Missus wants to see Coober Pedy, but she doesn't like opals! I'm only going there 'cos she wants to see it.
I'm a bit 'Meh' about it.
I've been to Alice Springs way back (1969). I'm sure it's changed.
The barmaid was called 'Fred'...but was a real cool girl.

Unless you have a specific reason for spending time in Adelaide I would substitute some of the Adelaide time with a few days at Kangaroo Island perhaps.

I can understand your wife wanting to go to Coober Pedy, I love it and I’m not into opals at all. Make sure you book early if you want to stay in the underground motel especially up to about the end of September during the tourist season. In your travel plan, I think you’re talking about Port Augusta, Port Arthur is in Tasmania. Be prepared for some of the most boring road between Port Augusta and Coober Pedy, very low vegetation. Call into Woomera if you have any interest in rockets, it’s just off the main road.

Do you know what time of year you're going to be here? It can get warm in Coober Pedy, so summer could get a little uncomfortable unless you're underground.
Depending on how active you want to be, you could divert to the Flinders Ranges, Wilpena Pound on the return from Coober Pedy.
There are plenty of great wine regions not far from Adelaide if you're into that.
The Yorke Peninsula has some fantastic places to visit and isn't that far from Adelaide.
+1 for KI, it's a great place to visit. Just be wary of the dirt roads if you're driving around there. The limestone rock there tends to form little marbles and it's very easy to lose control, and even experienced drivers can find themselves in a bit of trouble.

OK all you lovely Aussies.
Missus wants to visit this year for our 50th Wedding Anniversary (go figure!).
Wants list:
Coolangatta for a couple of days (just 'cos our Daughter and family are just back from there and they had a great time...but we are in our 70's so I'm fairly sure the water park is not our thing).
Hire a car for a wee drive round, maybe Byron Bay for a visit...and 'what else'? Wildlife park?
Fly down to Melbourne for a few days, then drive to Adelaide (the Great Southern Road thing of course).
Few days in Adelaide then drive to Coober Pedy (stop 1/2 way maybe Port Arthur...maybe?).
Couple of days in Coober Pedy, then drive back to Adelaide with a 1/2 way stop 'somewhere' again.
Few more days in Adelaide, fly (or drive) back to Melbourne for another dose of mall hopping (or shopping), then fly home to NZ.
Figuring maybe 2 weeks in all. Play it as it comes really.
So...ideas, options, thoughts, etc please.
Thanks guys. Your input much appreciated.
Crystal caves outside Rockhampton and Rockhampton zoo are nice to visit. Forget the Gold Coast or Byron Bay (think Napier). Go a few minutes further down the road to the Ballina, Alstonville and Lismore area. Not too touristy and good spots to visit. Maritime museum in Ballina well worth looking at. Dubbo's Old Dubbo Gaol museum is well worth the visit. The Canberra War museum is also very insightful.

Showed Missus the Oz map, and your comments.
Yay, no Gold Coast, or Coober Pedy.
We are simplifying and now figure on fly to Adelaide for a few days. Kangaroo Island for a few days (plenty there to keep a couple of oldies entertained).
Then back to Adelaide (general area anyway) before driving to Melbourne for a few days, then fly home.
Gold Coast can wait until another time.
Probably be 2 weeks, and during July/August time.
Good, bad, OKish?

As @nsavage already said, rather than staying in Adelaide, maybe tray KI o some of the wine regions (Clare valley?)

Same with Port Augusta: it is an easy drive to CP from Adelaide - if you want spend time on route try Flinders Ranges

Monarto Safari Park is a day trip from Adelaide and is a great place to visit if you're keen on checking out lots of critters from Africa and other places. It's easy to get around too, with buses driving around all day to take you to the different viewing areas.

Clare valley or McLaren Vale for wine regions will fill a day or two. I think both are better than Barossa.

July/August is winter, so temps in mid-terns during the day in SA, but colder and duller in Melb.