Heellloooo from Nth QLD

Sxot

Artisan Producer
Well, I never thought saving was a hobby! Collecting shaving paraphernalia sure, but actual shaving? Certainly appears to be for many and I can see why after lurking here for only a couple of days. For me it's something I must (and want to) do, and since I do it, I may as well do it right and enjoy the process. As I get older I seem to be more and more interested in the finer things in life, the old ways of doing things, the "proper" way, not the fast and convenient way. There is a price for convenience and usually quality is one of the first things to go out the door. If anyone is into Bicycles you will understand when I tell you I have started buying vintage hand made steel frames to add alongside my modern carbon racing bike. I fit them with hand made, custom built, tubular wheel sets. A tubular tyre is glued on, takes extra care, is more expensive but gives a superior ride quality. So do the steel frame.

So, here I am last weekend shaving with an electric razor, one that I have used for close to 20 years. Humidity is over 80% at 7:30am and I'm sweating a little in the bathroom, just out of the shower as is normal here in summer. The Braun Series 5 is in my opinion an excellent device but it struggles on a moist face and I often resort to standing in front of the a/c to try and keep my face dry in an effort to get an acceptable shave. Then I notice the foil is broken, time for a replacement but can't till Monday. The following day (Sunday) I am shaving with a cheap can of cream, and a disposable twin blade I had left over from so long ago I can't remember ever buying them. Maybe the wife bought them for her legs, I have no idea. During the shaveI began to think... this ain't so bad and once again begin to think about the old ways, the proper way.

I have over the years looked at buying a DE and what not. I've read a few articles and was semi convinced to try it out but I guess laziness and buy in cost meant I never did. Anyway, I began to look again first thing Monday. Read a bunch over at shaving101 and a couple of other sites before stumbling onto this one. Since I like to get advice, and learn from those who have gone before me I decided to sign up.

Being a new and knowing naught beyond what I had read, I decided a kit was the best place to start. After a good few hours looking around I settled on a kit from Men's Biz.

* Merkur Heavy Duty (34C) Razor,
* Proraso Shaving Cream (Sandalwood & Shea Butter)
* Men's Biz Super Badger Hair Shaving Brush
* Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades
* Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
* Feather Double Edge Razor Blades
* Merkur Super Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades
* Personna Red Pack Double Edge Razor Blades

Good range of blades, apparently the gold standard razor, and cheap but get's good reviews brush.

I have a bottle of (and i'm embarrassed to admit this) Brut33 after shave that was a gift will do me for now ( I like the smell actually), but I am definitely on the lookout for a good aftershave. When electric shaving, I never bothered with it. Recommendations welcome. The wife has been just that bit more attentive the last two days of shaving with a blade, and putting on aftershave so thumbs up there.

My old man uses an electric too but from my youth I can remember him using a brush with cart razors. Prior to that he certainly had a DE, I have seen it but never him using it. He is currently moving house, from the one mum and dad have lived in since 1968 so will be finding all sorts of old goodies. I have emailed him asking for him to keep any shaving stuff he finds. You just never know what they have buried in the garage because they never throw anything out!

I see the Toll tracking page tells me my goodies are out for delivery today so I am excitedly looking forward to a shave in the morning for the first time in my life.

Let the learning begin.

Welcome mate!

Sounds like an oh too familiar path to many - and many here will attest to the wisdom of your decision!

The kit is all high quality stuff. A suggestion I'd make is to use the Astra SP blades for the full pack of 5 (15 - 20 shaves) to you have everything constant when starting out. It will take a little time as you get used to the weight of the razor doing the work rather than you DRAGGING a disposable around your face.

Would be great if you find some of your Dad's old kit!

We have a few members up in FNQ including @Dale.Whiley who I'm sure will be along to say hi and give any 'local' advice.

Astra you say. Will do. I was thinking the Red Persona was the middle man and so would start there but I will take your advice. Thanks.

Mail man just arrived too. I can scarcely believe it. Order at 11:06am Monday with free postage, delivery sent from Melbourne, arrives 12:41 Tuesday in North QLD. That's got to be some sort of record. Came via Toll. Australia post would have taken two days for express post from Brisbane!

G'day @Sxot,

Welcome to the P&C the Wet Shaving Australian Fan Club, and please don't forget to tryout the Shaver Heaven Shaving Soap because these are 100% Aussie made soaps by @Anthony see web link and help support our locals (y) Fantastic price must cheaper than oversea made shaving soaps and this will save you lots of money in the long term future.

Shaver Heaven: http://shaverheaven.com.au/

Cheers(y);)

Welcome to the forum @Sxot - I hope you will enjoy your journey!

And so it begins.......

Welcome @Sxot

The guys here are great. Lots of knowledge and ridiculously generous.

My two cents -
No pressure. Let the razor do the work
Try Gillette Silver Blue blades
Don't mention menthol. Ever. (@borked)

Welcome @Sxot !

As Mark said, many of us started with the Mensbiz kit, including myself. It is a nice bit of kit and will certainly get you started!

Do you have any aftershaves (lotion or balm) to use?

And so it begins.......

Welcome @Sxot

The guys here are great. Lots of knowledge and ridiculously generous.

My two cents -
No pressure. Let the razor do the work
Try Gillette Silver Blue blades
Don't mention menthol. Ever. (@borked)
...unless wildly in favour of it ;) BTW welcome to the insanity, hope your stay is long and mutually fruitfull :)

Welcome @Sxot
You'll have fun with the journey into wet shaving with a DE. [emoji106]

Post-shave is very important as you're trying to seal micro cuts and re-hydrate your skin. Alum blocks and witch hazel can be used to tighten the skin and seal cuts. Alcohol splashes work similarly but also tend to dry the skin. Applying a balm or light oil after can help moisturise and soothe the skin. Of course this is all dependant on the weather and your own skin type.

There's a fair few aftershaves out there- splashes like your Brut or Old Spice; balms like Natio for Men; and even runny balms (often called AS milk). There are large brand names as well as small, hand-made artisan aftershaves (like those made by @Anthony and @Golbourn&sons ). Nothing like trying out a few and going from there. [emoji6]

;)Ok @Sxot :)

You need:

A seven day set Gillette adjustable, Fat Boy, Icon Slant, Merkur Adjustable, Feather Weight, MMOC, Bullet Head.
So that your brushes dry correctly in your humid conditions you need at least 3 Synthetics [you choose] and a couple of Badgers - Silver tip of course as they are of course the best.
Blades - get sharp ones.
Soap - oh the the soaps you need are many. Everyone has their favouritre and it is of course the best. Or @khun_diddy can set you up with a recipe to make your own.

:)

Remember this is only the starter kit.

Welcome to a great forum and ignore all of the above.;):ROFLMAO:;)

Welcome @Sxot . I've used a DE a few tmes and I have to agree with @Mark1966 about the Astra blades. I have some and find them good. Use all of one blade type first so you can assess your improvement of methods; different blades can lead to confusion when deciding which method works and what doesn't. And like has already been stated above, LIGHT pressure. It is the blade that cuts, not how hard the razor is pushed into your face.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

G'day @Sxot,

Welcome to the P&C the Wet Shaving Australian Fan Club, and please don't forget to tryout the Shaver Heaven Shaving Soap because these are 100% Aussie made soaps by @Anthony see web link and help support our locals (y) Fantastic price must cheaper than oversea made shaving soaps and this will save you lots of money in the long term future.

Shaver Heaven: http://shaverheaven.com.au/

Cheers(y);)

I had a good look at Shaver Heaven. Typically I stay away from 'own brands' but since they are made in Aus by an Aus company, I will definitely give them a go. I'm 100% for buying local and Aus made.

Welcome @Sxot !

As Mark said, many of us started with the Mensbiz kit, including myself. It is a nice bit of kit and will certainly get you started!

Do you have any aftershaves (lotion or balm) to use?

Only have the Brut 33, oh and digging around found an ancient vial of Old Spice. Those two must be the go-to gifts for mother in-laws?. Using the Brut33. Seems ok, smell is good but I'm looking at something better.

;)Ok @Sxot :)

You need:

A seven day set Gillette adjustable, Fat Boy, Icon Slant, Merkur Adjustable, Feather Weight, MMOC, Bullet Head.
So that your brushes dry correctly in your humid conditions you need at least 3 Synthetics [you choose] and a couple of Badgers - Silver tip of course as they are of course the best.
Blades - get sharp ones.
Soap - oh the the soaps you need are many. Everyone has their favouritre and it is of course the best. Or @khun_diddy can set you up with a recipe to make your own.

:)

Remember this is only the starter kit.

Welcome to a great forum and ignore all of the above.;):ROFLMAO:;)

HAHA well thing is I've had exactly one DE shave - today, and I'm about to place an order for a second lot of goodies. Just as well the postagae is free!
Pre-shave face wash, after shave, and maybe an alum block or nick stick. I don't think I really need those but I should give them a run and see I suppose.

Thanks again everyone.

I had a good look at Shaver Heaven. Typically I stay away from 'own brands' but since they are made in Aus by an Aus company, I will definitely give them a go. I'm 100% for buying local and Aus made.

@Sxot if you have any question regarding to Shaver Heaven Aussie made shave soap @Anthony is you're main man and the very original owner of Shaver Heaven, as I've bought two soap from him Summer Breeze and Sweet Almond Milk they both smell fantastic just like Heaven (y);)