Hello from Adelaide

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
Met up with 3 Adelaide wet shavers about 6 weeks ago and we have been meeting regularly each fortnight and it was suggested I sign up here as it is a really worthwhile forum. Just looking around for awhile has proven that point very well. I started wet shaving with my father's Gillette about 1966 [about once a fortnight] and when I could afford it myself got a Schick injector. I have wet shaved for the majority of my time shaving but have to confess this is the first time in 45 odd years that I've considered it a hobby:)

I have a Progress LH, a '63 Gillette Adjustable, a Feather popular and a Russian Ideal Adjustable.
Recently and thanks to Boldsworth one of the Adelaide members I acquired a nice GEM 1912 SE and a beautiful Schick Adjustable. I'm so pleased to be back to an SE blade shaver. DE's are good but SE's are a different experience again.

For me if I only had the SE razors I would still be a very happy wet shaver. Look forward to taking part and maybe meeting other Adelaide members.

Wow. You're the answer to @Pjtor's dreams... Well, maybe not, but he now has a fellow dedicated SE shaver.

Oh! *Ahem* Welcome to P&C! May your comments be frequent, your humour be shared and your wallet very deep. It's great to have all 3 of the YKW Crow-Eating wet shavers now join us. [emoji106]

So with a good time of shaving behind you, what is your favourite soap?

Welcome!

You are a LITTLE sus preferring SE to DE but at least you are not one of those straight razor crazies - now THEY are a mad lot.

The preponderance of ADL and PER based members though is of some concern given the East Coast dominance in most things - this forum could become irretreivally unbalanced.

Nice [starter] kit of gear you have too - what do you have in terms of brushes and soaps/creams?

Glad you joined - welcome!

Thanks for the welcome guys,

Brushes I have [4]. A Turkish #1 and the #6 [Horse hair- they are until the DNA evidence is in] a Proraso Boar on Steroids and a cheap Chinese badger [Could be used for sky fill in for watercolour painting.
Without doubt the #1 is my favourite brush by a kountry kilometre.

Soap Proraso Red and Soap I've started making myself. I need a pretty neutral soap and I'm not a big fan of girlie boys scents :)

Steve

Welcome, Baldy.

I, myself, am about to embark on SE shaving. Just waiting for my GEM 1912 to arrive. Hope you don't mind me picking your brain when I get stuck.

Welcome, Baldy.

I, myself, am about to embark on SE shaving. Just waiting for my GEM 1912 to arrive. Hope you don't mind me picking your brain when I get stuck.

Minimal or no pressure, short strokes and it is not a DE. Know your beard. Under the nose don't attempt from the nose down. Blood and plastic surgery. Clean the whiskers away in a side ways action from the centre of the nose in a gentle motion towards the ears then back the other way. With the chin in the first instance clean away under the bottom lip and then straight down to just under the chin with your head raised to stretch the chin skin. With your neck initially WTG and if you know you beard XTG. For the first week don't try for BBS, you can easily get it but you may also suffer a bit if you zig when you shoulda zagged. I'm more than content with DFS in 2 passes.

When you first get the razor do a dry run without a blade so you can relate to the head etc. Place the head flat on your face then lower the handle so you have about 2-3 mm between the top of the head and your face. When you shave the blade will feel different and sound really aggressive but the shave isn't. As long as you don't try to use it like a DE you will be fine. :)

The 1912 is a great razor to start with.

Steve[/S]

Welcome!

You are a LITTLE sus preferring SE to DE but at least you are not one of those straight razor crazies - now THEY are a mad lot.

The preponderance of ADL and PER based members though is of some concern given the East Coast dominance in most things - this forum could become irretreivally unbalanced.

Nice [starter] kit of gear you have too - what do you have in terms of brushes and soaps/creams?
They may have the body numbers, yet they will never have your collection ;)

Welcome!

A LITTLE sus? :) Everyone else is SE challenged . I do concur straight razor guys are a bit "out there" More courage than I will ever have.