Hello from Maitland!!

Welcome to P&C @raven_squire - I'm sure you are going to have a great time here (y)

As for the local honemeister: paging @Mark - he lives in Sydney and I'm pretty sure he will satisfy all your honing desires :D

Ahh Mark the Honemeister from Sydney, I have heard good things about him from a friend but I have not been able to make contact with him through the likes of Facebook. Hopefully he will say hello. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Welcome @raven_squire !

Nice part of the world in the Hunter - used to be some good antique shops in the region too.

Tell us more about your kit? Brushes, software etc

Welcome @raven_squire - its a great group of shaving addicts here... and plenty of dealers to feed our addiction!!

Welcome @raven_squire !

Nice part of the world in the Hunter - used to be some good antique shops in the region too.

Tell us more about your kit? Brushes, software etc

Well, I have the best kit that $29 can buy. I have a Shave Factory shavette with Derby Blades, Prorasso white soap, a rough as guts brush and a soup bowl from Big W.
I have a Parker synthetic brush in the mail. I also ordered a gold dollar and strop off a nice bloke in America from a Face Book group. I am looking forward to using the GD as people have told me that it should be more forgiving than a shavette and do a better job.

Originally I was using an electric shaver as it was easier and did no worse than a cartridge razor. I was given a Comy DE razor about 12 months ago. It was what started me down this path. It does a much better than the cartridge and electric razors. I have found that electric and cartridge razors can miss hairs as long as 6mm on my jaw line easily. I have a problem with the Comy as the adjustment knob is loos as a goose so there is no way of fine tuning of how aggressive the shave is. It tends to do a really light shave, if you can hold it in just the right spot it will give a close shave but I find it is too much of a PIA to bother with.

Learning the shavette has been interesting. I have nicked myself many times leading my wife to be horrified when she saw the blood running down my face. I purchased the soap and brush and watched a few you tube videos and now my technique is much better. I can get a good shave and normally get a just a small nick. I have found that chasing BBS is a bad idea and results in a lot of irritation.

I think that in the next 12 months the gold dollar will be getting replace with something more substantial. At this stage I don't plan on investing the cash or time to learn to hone so I will need to catch up with that elusive Mark.

Thanks for your time :)

Welcome, @raven_squire.

There is a wealth of information on this forum, so milk it for all it is worth.

I reckon you will have better results (less blood-flow) with a straight, over a shavette. It will be interesting to hear your comparisons.

Have you gotten to the point of using left and right hands, for each side of the face?

@Mark is the go-to guy for honing. He will get you sorted in good order.

Hey Arnold, I just shave with my right hand for now. I plan to learn to use both hands but the shavette was a steep learning curve and it was easier to get started however I could. Once I get use to the straight I will give it a go again.

Welcome aboard @raven_squire - this Forum is full of helpful members, so don't be shy if you have questions.

Hey Arnold, I just shave with my right hand for now. I plan to learn to use both hands but the shavette was a steep learning curve and it was easier to get started however I could. Once I get use to the straight I will give it a go again.

I think for most of us it was the same! Off-hand will feel completely unnatural for the first few times, and you want to just do it on the cheek area to get the muscles working more and more finely. But after a few weeks, it will get so much easier.