Hello from Toowoomba

Status
Not open for further replies.

namreklaw

Evening all!

I'm just starting out in the world of old school shaving and it looks like there's an awesome community happening here that I hope to learn from and share with.

I'm 30 and have always shaved with a Gillette Mach 3 but hated it. Shaving was a chore and I avoided it as much as I could.

Decided to treat myself for fathers day this year and went out and bought a straight razor and strop. I knew what I would need to get started with but wish I'd looked into it a little bit more as I bought a brand new Giesen and Forsthoff razor (please forgive me).

Anyway, hopefully I can learn heaps from everyone here!

Evening all!

I'm just starting out in the world of old school shaving and it looks like there's an awesome community happening here that I hope to learn from and share with.

I'm 30 and have always shaved with a Gillette Mach 3 but hated it. Shaving was a chore and I avoided it as much as I could.

Decided to treat myself for fathers day this year and went out and bought a straight razor and strop. I knew what I would need to get started with but wish I'd looked into it a little bit more as I bought a brand new Giesen and Forsthoff razor (please forgive me).

Anyway, hopefully I can learn heaps from everyone here!

welcome aboard mate. You got some nice fellas just around the corner...
..."@Dale.Whiley checkout 2 please @Dale.Whiley checkout 2"
Welcome aboard @namreklaw. My brother-in-law is a pastor in Toowoomba. I bought him a DE a year ago and he's taken to it from the get-go.

I spent a few weeks on and off in Toowoomba many years ago when I was a tech in Telecom. Absolutely love the place ... ... Apart from the cold and that horrible flash flood that took out Toowoomba and the valley (Grantham etc.) a few years back.

And don't listen to Stills ... ... ... I ain't that nice; ask my wife!!!

Welcome abroad @namreklaw - I am sure you will have a great time here!

Welcome @namreklaw !
What's your go to soap or cream at the moment?

Welcome to the insanity.
Hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful.

What products have you tried that you do not like ?

G'Day and welcome from 'down the hill'
Absolutely nothing wrong with a G & F - I have one and have honed over 70 of them - they just take a bit of time to set the bevel.
If you're coming down this way PM me and we can catch up for coffee.
I was born in Toowoomba as well.
Cheers

Thanks guys, feeling very welcome here already.

I've only just got into this stuff so my first and only soap at the moment is the proraso red. It had some pretty good reviews and was well priced. I'm happy to stick with it for now and try some new things down the track.

@Havachat45 that's good to hear that the G&F is not worthless. I need to get it honed and see how it goes.

Welcome aboard @namreklaw. My brother-in-law is a pastor in Toowoomba. I bought him a DE a year ago and he's taken to it from the get-go.

I spent a few weeks on and off in Toowoomba many years ago when I was a tech in Telecom. Absolutely love the place ... ... Apart from the cold and that horrible flash flood that took out Toowoomba and the valley (Grantham etc.) a few years back.

And don't listen to Stills ... ... ... I ain't that nice; ask my wife!!!

Dale I don't mind the cold, it's good whiskey weather. Which church is your brother in law at? Good chance I know someone that knows him (toowoomba is just a big country town). Mate of mine lived in Townsville for a while and loved it. I haven't been up that way since I was ten. Friends of ours used to own the caravan park at crystal creek. Awesome place

Chuck up a post in the social group if coffee is on the cards :) I'm always down for a coffee (or whiskey for that matter... Especially Japanese at the moment)

Chuck up a post in the social group if coffee is on the cards :) I'm always down for a coffee (or whiskey for that matter... Especially Japanese at the moment)

You're definitely speaking my language there! Just bought a bottle of Hakushu distillers reserve a couple weeks ago.

Dale I don't mind the cold, it's good whiskey weather. Which church is your brother in law at? Good chance I know someone that knows him (toowoomba is just a big country town). Mate of mine lived in Townsville for a while and loved it. I haven't been up that way since I was ten. Friends of ours used to own the caravan park at crystal creek. Awesome place

Dale I don't mind the cold, it's good whiskey weather.
Too much arthritis for me to live in the cold these days.

Which church is your brother in law at? Good chance I know someone that knows him (toowoomba is just a big country town).
He is a pastor in the Potter's House shurch.

Mate of mine lived in Townsville for a while and loved it. I haven't been up that way since I was ten. Friends of ours used to own the caravan park at crystal creek. Awesome place.
Little_Crystal_Creek_Bridge.jpg

Gotta love North Queensland.

Status
Not open for further replies.