Help to buy a good badger brush

Vittocia

I all I,m looking for advice on buying a badger brush
I have only ever used a pig (boar) brush in my time.
my budget is up to $70
As I know nothing about badger brushs but people rave about them
whats the difference ?
is it just hip?
what is your recommended brush
???

Last edited:
Badger holds more water, ergo warmth and lather than a boar from my experience.
If used correctly, it also lathers soft and hard soap equally well.
Different grades of hair are a point of contention though, as there is no singular industry standard, yet the generalisation is better quality hair = softer feel and less prickle/scrub.

To aid others more versed in this area than I am, it would help to know what brush/brushes you've used, what you like and dislike about them, if you bowl/hand/face lather, if you prefer soap or cream and fi you're partial to documenting your shaves in a spreadsheet.

They're softer, have far less backbone than boar and create lather a bit faster. Aside from pure badger which is basically black and pretty prickly to start with there isn't that much of a difference from one grade to the next if you ask me. It's only looks really. Yes, silver tip/two band does look good. Unless of course you've paid $400 for a three band Manchurian High White badger knot, then there simply has to be a huge difference (about $200 worth because that's how much you get ripped off by). There is no difference to how they work from the humble black or pure to what ever grade you choose.

I've got six brushes and only one of those is a boar and one is a boar/badger mix. So I guess I prefer badgers, but that might be because, unlike boar, you can get badger knots in a variety of sizes which I plonked in a variety of obscure handles.

If you're thinking of getting one, on the whole do not go too big or too dense and it'll be dandy. The Berkley that Drubs had/has for sale would be an excellent choice. Basically a middle of the road Simmo in best. There are other makers out there but I only really know the Simmo range myself.

Oh, and if you document your shaves in an Excel spreadsheet, this conversation ends right now.

Last edited:
My simmo is sold, but thanks for the plug.

Badgers are nice, and I prefer them. But boars are cheap enough to add variety. It's all been said, but generally you're going to get a softer backboned brush, but the cheap ones will be scratchier.

Your $70 wil buy a higher grade of hair in Chinese brands, but I've never tried these. Simmos best though, is as good as what anyone else will grade as silvertip.

Your $70 wil buy a higher grade of hair in Chinese brands, but I've never tried these. Simmos best though, is as good as what anyone else will grade as silvertip.

Or a decent used badger in something like Simpsons Best. ...or so you'll not be left wondering, for just $10 more you can have an actual Simpsons - nice used Duke 2 in Best delivered to your door. One of the best face latherers out there. Please just PM me if interested. [/shameless plug]